VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Ssdi

Rate this question

Mooshi

Question

I have a question on this combination. I am 30% disabled for PTSD and just recently got my Fully Favorable letter for SSDI after the third try. Since my VA paperwork means nothing to the SSA, does my SSDI letter mean anything to the VA? I am basically asking if I can now raise my 30% rating for PTSD now that I got a Fully Favorable letter from the SSA. Also am I eligible for anything else? Do I also file for SSI while I am waiting the 30 to 60 days for my pay rate for SSDI or what do I do?

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Mooshi

You can not get ssdi and ssi. ssdi is total disability, ssi is a supplament for ss retirement when that check is below poverty level. if ssdi is based on your service connection disability than it could help.

I have a question on this combination. I am 30% disabled for PTSD and just recently got my Fully Favorable letter for SSDI after the third try. Since my VA paperwork means nothing to the SSA, does my SSDI letter mean anything to the VA? I am basically asking if I can now raise my 30% rating for PTSD now that I got a Fully Favorable letter from the SSA. Also am I eligible for anything else? Do I also file for SSI while I am waiting the 30 to 60 days for my pay rate for SSDI or what do I do?

Mooshi,

What is your SSDI award for, is it the PTSD?

Mooshi,

What is your SSDI award for, is it the PTSD?

Yes. It is for PTSD, major depressive disorder(same as PTSD?), and non service connected Sleep Apnea.

I dont think you can file for SSI since you have been awarded SSDI benefits-

because the retro SSA disability check would limit you for SSI for that retro period-anyhow

"does my SSDI letter mean anything to the VA? I am basically asking if I can now raise my 30% rating for PTSD"

Yes if they awarded solely for the SC PTSD.

Same as my husband-30% SC, then award from SSA solely for PTSD , then 100% SC P & T for PTSD from VA.

Everytime I post this as personal example- I forget and have to add-

I do not recall anywhere that the VA used his PTSD award from SSA.They didnt even attempt to get those records until we took action on that.

The SSA award he got was based solely on VA medical records.

When the VA continually ignored some extensive psychiatric tests he had done , I told his shrink and the shrink wrote a letter to the VA mentioning he had received SSA for PTSD and the shrink gave me copies of the psychiatric records the VA had not considered to send to them.The 100% SC PTSD was a posthumpous award.

Make sure that the VA does obtain those SSA records (even if they are all VA records)

as the SSA determination is in essense an independent medical opinion that they must consider.

(Washington V Derwinski)

I just got back from VA and DAV. I even had the SSDI letter which they didn't even want to look at. I was a bit confused. DAV told me since I am 30% PTSD with SC I would have to get another C and P exam to get to 70% before I could jump to 100%. What are they talking about? Very upset right now. I made a call to my local Congressman's office and they invited me to meet them tomorrow. More to follow I guess.

• HadIt.com Elder

Mooshi, your SSDI letter only will help you get 100 percent. You still have toi file for it unless your within the 1 year to appeal period and you can present the SSDI award as evidence. Ask for expiditious treatment. I had to max out a credit card in order to live during the months I waited and Paid it off with the retro.

Bottom line is the VA will get ir right but they will take their time in doing so. It is a system wide problem.

Hang in there.

J