VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension Leading To Cad And Cabg

Rate this question

saturneptune

Question

With a 10% rating for hypertension, how hard is it to make a connection to CAD? Also I have had a six way bypass operation. They scheduled a C and P exam two weeks after the operation then cancelled it, but are still working on the new claim. Has anyone else had this happen?

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry to hear about your CAD & bypass surgery. I was 0% service connected for hypertension and was diagnosed with CAD in July 09. I had a single bypass operation due to a 99% blockage of my left anterior descending coronary artery. They finished my claim in Feb 10, increasing my hypertension to 10% and granting another 10% for CAD. You should be entitled to 3 months of temporary 100% after your bypass surgery, and possibly Special Monthly Compensation if you have other service connected disabilities totaling 60% or more. The rating for your CAD will depend on the results of your C&P exams. The ejection fraction of your heart plays a key role in the rating. They also found scarring in my lung tissue (which I didn't even claim), and they rated me 0% for that with more C&P exams pending to evaluate that condition. It's a long process, and the C&P exams were grueling since it was so soon after my surgery -- but to answer your question, it's pretty much automatic for the connection of CAD secondary to service connected hypertension. I assume you filed all of your surgery documentation and medical evidence with your claim?

• HadIt.com Elder
With a 10% rating for hypertension, how hard is it to make a connection to CAD? Also I have had a six way bypass operation. They scheduled a C and P exam two weeks after the operation then cancelled it, but are still working on the new claim. Has anyone else had this happen?

Hypertension is a precurser to CAD. You will have little problems getting it connected.

J

Thanks very much for the reply. Yes, I submitted the operation report, the nuclear stress test, and the heart cath results. The strange thing about the C and P exam in this case is this. They scheduled it January 26th, two weeks after the six way bypass January 12th. The day before the exam, the regional office in Louisville cancelled the exam because of the records that I had sent in. The case is still under full consideration. I do not know what to make of the cancellation, if it means they are going to leave me at 10% for hypertension, or if I am in such bad shape they do not need an exam, or if they are going to schedule it later. I have no idea. I am getting better some two months after surgery, but still cannot do things like heavy lifting and push mowing the yard. I also have no idea what type of percentage I will end up with if any. The four diagnosises are hypertension, hypothyroidism, CAD, and hyperlipemia.

• HadIt.com Elder

No they will most likely give you a 100 percent temporary rating then wait 6 months and re evaluate it. That is what they should do. If not let me know as I am a fellow Kentuckian.

J

No they will most likely give you a 100 percent temporary rating then wait 6 months and re evaluate it. That is what they should do. If not let me know as I am a fellow Kentuckian.

J

I recently filed a similar claim for CAD secondary to SC hypertension. The connection was established, but per the rating schedule, the temporary 100 percent for coronary bypass surgery was only for 3 months. Thereafter, they determined a rating of 10% based on the findings of my C&P exams. They also increased my hypertension rating. The claim was completed in about 8-9 months. Be careful though, because they shorted me 1 month of temp 100%...the effective date of your claim should be the date of your heart surgery, not the date the VA received your claim.

My prayers are with you Saturneptune...this must be a lot to deal with so soon after your heart surgery.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your correct AIM. I just glanced at the reg and I saw the 100 percent note for 6 months just above t he reg and I realized it was for Valve replacement.

J