VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Knee Surgery

Rate this question

Rhodesia

Question

Hello, I have a question I have a service connected injury from active duty for my knee back in 2001. I receive 10% from the VA, on 2010 I had to have surgery again on my service connected injury. I wanted to know am I eligible for an increase on the same injury since the VA had to go back in and fix what the militay did not? I had an orthroscopic surgery and this time the VA Dr. Told me he had to shave some areas on my knee (bone) to clean it up. So I'm now wearing a knee brace issued by the VA Dr. So what would be a good opening line to use as for a increase for disibility? when requesting it. thanks for any input

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello, I have a question I have a service connected injury from active duty for my knee back in 2001. I receive 10% from the VA, on 2010 I had to have surgery again on my service connected injury. I wanted to know am I eligible for an increase on the same injury since the VA had to go back in and fix what the militay did not? I had an orthroscopic surgery and this time the VA Dr. Told me he had to shave some areas on my knee (bone) to clean it up. So I'm now wearing a knee brace issued by the VA Dr. So what would be a good opening line to use as for a increase for disibility? when requesting it. thanks for any input

Yes, you are eligible for an increase. Just state the facts, that should be fine and provide the documentation. Also did you apply for convalescent increase to 100% that you are eligible for during your recovery.

JMO,

Bergie

What was the diagnosis of the original knee problem, and what was the diagnosis of this problem that required surgery again. Bergie is right at the very least you should receive 100% for convelescense.

/doc

well the VA told me I have to be in the VA hospital for more than 24 hours in orer to receive 100% for convelescense. I was in short stay for about 12 hours. Yes this was a required surgery again for Torn Medial Meniscus. The military did not do a very good job so the VA had to go back in there and fix some torn menicus. somehow I had some debree still left in my knee and 9 years later it ended up with my knee rubbing bone to bone so he had to repair the torn areas, do some cutting and scrape about 30% of old debree from the knee bone area.

What was the diagnosis of the original knee problem, and what was the diagnosis of this problem that required surgery again. Bergie is right at the very least you should receive 100% for convelescense.

/doc

The VA told me I have to be in the VA hospital for more than 24 hours in orer to receive 100% for convelescense. I was in short stay for about 12 hours. Yes this was a required surgery again for Torn Medial Meniscus. The military did not do a very good job so the VA had to go back in there and fix some torn menicus. somehow I had some debree still left in my knee and 9 years later it ended up with my knee rubbing bone to bone so he had to repair the torn areas, do some cutting and scrape about 30% of old debree from the knee bone area.

The VA told me I have to be in the VA hospital for more than 24 hours in orer to receive 100% for convelescense. I was in short stay for about 12 hours. Yes this was a required surgery again for Torn Medial Meniscus. The military did not do a very good job so the VA had to go back in there and fix some torn menicus. somehow I had some debree still left in my knee and 9 years later it ended up with my knee rubbing bone to bone so he had to repair the torn areas, do some cutting and scrape about 30% of old debree from the knee bone area.

Rhodesia, I have surgery on both knees in 03,05 both were done on an outpatient basis. I received 100% convelescense both times from the VA. I didn't even have the surgeries at a VA facility and received 100%. Someone at the VA is not telling you the truth. I would apply for convelescense. Good luck

/doc

Rhodesia, I have surgery on both knees in 03,05 both were done on an outpatient basis. I received 100% convelescense both times from the VA. I didn't even have the surgeries at a VA facility and received 100%. Someone at the VA is not telling you the truth. I would apply for convelescense. Good luck

/doc

Thanks for the information so if this is true and the VA told me I could not then how would I write requesting for this? During my surgery I was in the VA Hosital for 12 hours then convelescense for 4 weeks at home. this will beside my increase I'm going to put in for my knee surgery which now after 6 weeks is still not right for some unknown reason. first surgery in 2001, second surgery in 2010, same knee. Any help or direction in this matter would be great in helping out a poor serviveman away from home. (That was Lame).