VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Do Gaf Numbers Mean?

Rate this question

lugnut

Question

Can someone tell me what the GAF numbers mean? I have the following diagnosis:

Axis I= MDD, recurrent

Panic disorder

AxisII= Defered

Axis III= Chronic back pain

cervical DDD

Lumber DDD

Neck Pain

COPD

HTN

Tinnitus

Hyperlipidemia

Axis IV= Ineffective coping skils

History of Relational problems

Limited social skills

Axis V= GAF+60

I know all that is listed in Axis III, but not the rest. All help will be appreciated. I have just recently filed claim for my back, tinnitus, neck, and depression.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to look at the GAF in context of overall picture of emotional/mental functioning. A GAF of 60 usually means a moderate level of functioning. That means a rating of about 30% if it is for SC condition. This is not hard and fast rule. If you have severe panic or major depression a GAF of 60 is not appropriate. If you don't leave the house due to panic disorder then your GAF is way out of line. Do you have a private shrink. I trust the VA not at all.

• HadIt.com Elder

GAF is short for Global Assessment Function. Its pretty much an opinion of how you fit into your world and can you function but it is an opinion.

To the VA 60+ is not going to do much as far as a rating maybe 0% to 30%.

We would have a better idea if you would tell us how you are doing. Can you work? Can you hold a job if you do work? How do you get along with friends and families?

What do you think should be your rating?

• HadIt.com Elder

On second though anyone with panic disorder and a 60+ GAF is not being honest with their Doc or the Doc who did the Assessment is full of beans.

I think that you got a bad C&P

• HadIt.com Elder

One bad panic attack and you know the meaning of fear and disability. When they hit you out of the blue more than once a day you probably should be 100%. It puts you in a permanent crouch waiting for the next attack.

GAF is short for Global Assessment Function. Its pretty much an opinion of how you fit into your world and can you function but it is an opinion.

To the VA 60+ is not going to do much as far as a rating maybe 0% to 30%.

We would have a better idea if you would tell us how you are doing. Can you work? Can you hold a job if you do work? How do you get along with friends and families?

What do you think should be your rating?

Thanks Pete, I am now retired, in part because I was in a school setting, and ocassionally a student would push my bottons and I might just fly into a rage and be out of control. Came close to some real trouble. It happens at others times/places also. I had a head injury in Army in '66--trying to get SC for residuals. The only thing in SMR is where they sewed my chin up. That Doc was pissed he had to get up and fix me in the middle of the night. Didn't ask if I was ok, just take these APC's, gave me a shot, and told me to go toback to barracks. Later, I was dizzy & nausious, etc. but never went back to Dr. I know now that I had a concussion but then I would never conplain. Didn't know any better. I pretty much stay to myself now, avoid people, stores, etc. VA phyc rated me 60, then later 57 and I had no idea what that meant. The c&p exam said " no diagnosis for TBI" and denied all. I have filed a NOD. Any help is appreciated.