VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Review/increase Of Rating Decision

Rate this question

Pamela

Question

There are so many other posts on here I haven't had a chance to get into all of them and personally I don't know if I have the energy. I've been going through a lot the past several months. And knowing what I have to look forward to stresses me out even more. Plus I have short/long term memory problems so I forget some things. Well, I filed my original claim 9/13/07 and really didn't look over it much. I just knew I was 50% connected for 8 of the 14 issues I reported. What I was looking into was either reopening the claims or increasing my claim. While in the service I was seen a number of times between Oct 2001 up until the time I discharged. I was young and afraid to tell the psychiatrists everything I was going through. For fear of being labeled or discharged and it being in my record forever, you name it. I had my lapses of ups and downs. I would only go when I was in dire stress and depressed. Of course no one goes when they feel they are doing OK. During the up times I was being risky, spending $ here and there before paying my bills, typical of people with Bipolar. But I never mentioned any of this to them and while in I did have suicidal thoughts but was always sure to say "no" when they asked the question. My son's father was even witness to one of my suicide attempts. So I was only diagnosed

with chronic adjustment disorder with mixed emotional features (claimed as depression, sleep disorder, and PTSD) They denied the PTSD due to them believing the PTSD was secondary to traumatic experiences that occurred prior to military service, but I had a miscarriage in basic 6 days after the 9/11 incidence, experienced a house fire and car accident in the same day, found out I had a tumor in my parotid gland and needed to have surgery on both my feet. They prescribed me Elavil and Zoloft (which had no effect but being that I rarely wanted to go to them I told them they worked.) They actually made me more anxious and depressed, even after discharge my civilian psychiatrist gave me two other antidepressants which gave me the same effects. I told her a lot of what I had been through and she determined that it could be Bipolar 2 and prescribed me Lamictal and Ambien for my sleep. (The ambien stopped working recently and now I'm prescribed Trazadone for that.)The reason I am seeing the psychiatrist was because I tried to kill myself and ended up in the ICU. I was referred to a short term counseling program which is to last for two weeks I started the beginning of March and I'm still going to the class. When I went to the VA to discuss this with them my Primary Care Provider tried to turn it around and reword what I was saying and said I didn't try to commit suicide and I didn't have any PTSD. Though even in the police and ER reports they stated I admitted to suicide. I mean I had texted my mom the pin codes to my bank accounts and then turned off my phone and took about 30 of my husband's Flexirol(muscle relaxer) before he put me out (we're separated and I was going fto go back to my place) and I was found unconscious in my car. Was that not proof enough. I did put in a referral so I can talk with a VA psychiatrist about the new diagnosis of Bipolar 2 because I believe I had it while in service but it was misdiagnosed. I have also been having a lot of body pains and the motrin I;m prescribed is not taking care of it. I made an appontment but missed it. (I woke up called into work and stayed up the rest of the day at home doing nothing) I barely took care of my dog :o but he has an automatic feeder and a water bottle that holds two gallons of water. So at least he had food and water. (But now I'm kinda off track) Maybe I should tell this person and the C&P person everything so there is no confusion this time around.

Where the problem for me comes in is since I din't divulge all of the issues while in the service will any of this correlate with my time in service? And how do I go about figuring all this stuff out? I did get a release of information from both Kaiser and the VA hospitals. and will take this to the VA Regional Office nearest me. The thing is with this depression I have been having a hard time doing things. I've used up almost all my leave unnecessarily just because I didnt want to go into work and sometimes would not even call to let them know. At one point I stayed in the bed for 6 days straight, called in 4 of the 6 days and I didn't do anything. I missed my counseling classes and was a wreck. I have a FMLA paperwork filled out so that I can protect myself though because Kaiser says I am prone to relapses 1-2 times a year, insomnia, crying spells, etc, etc. I would appreciate any help in this matter. Really, this means a great deal to me because even though I'm competent in a lot of things and probably could figure this out. I've been mentally, physically, and emotionally drained.

I'm going through a divorce, my husband cheated throughout our whole marriage with a chaplain's assistant in the military and is still with her, not talking to my parents (they dont really understand or want to accept my diagnosis and from the PTSD from childhood caused by their actions), my son (yea, i know, why would i try to kill myself when i have a son; still haven't figured it out, i know it's selfish too but at the time you feel that is your only way out) I feel bad cuz I have at times said that I wish I didn't have my son (though he is the greatest thing that has happened to me) because it would be easier to kill myself. He is struggling with the divorce, isn't sleeping , is having nightmares, is getting suspended, and chewing sore into his cheeks. Plus so many other things, but I've posted enoughfor now. People always tell me I should write a book about my life. I say "no thank you" cuz it would be 2000 pages long... :rolleyes:

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Pamela:

Since you have a diagnosis of bipolar instead of PTSD I believe it would be much easier to link it to service and get a rating than for PTSD.

Are you working and what is your status with Social Security?

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Pamela,

I read your post and as you said it is a long one, so excuse me if I didn't comprehend all you said.

You are at 50% and can you tell me what that is for?

Is it for one illness such as depression?

I agree with Pete, just in my opinion stay away from the PTSD.

Mine is for 100% Chronic Anxiety.

You mentioned out of 14 issues.

I was thinking if you are at 50% for depression, then you could file for TDIU, since it appears

you are becoming unstable and unable to hold down a job.

• HadIt.com Elder

From Pamela's signature

So I found my Rating Decision from American Legion(and have the correct ratings)

10% Chronic Adjustment Disorder

10% Status Post Bunionectomy, left foot with residual hardware

10% Status Post Bunionectomy, right foot with residual hardware

10% Hypertension

10% Lumbosacral Strain (Back Pain)

10% Migraines

10% Cervical Strain (Neck Pain)

0% Status Post Parotidectomy tumor excision, scar

She said she has a dx for Bipolar2 from VA but is asking for PTSD. This is the real problem as VA is no help at all for a Veteran to get the rating that they deserve. Its left to chance or good luck or a good Service Officer or good research but seldom if ever the VA helps out even when they know

Pamela I think that Hadit can help you

From Pamela's signature

So I found my Rating Decision from American Legion(and have the correct ratings)

10% Chronic Adjustment Disorder

10% Status Post Bunionectomy, left foot with residual hardware

10% Status Post Bunionectomy, right foot with residual hardware

10% Hypertension

10% Lumbosacral Strain (Back Pain)

10% Migraines

10% Cervical Strain (Neck Pain)

0% Status Post Parotidectomy tumor excision, scar

She said she has a dx for Bipolar2 from VA but is asking for PTSD. This is the real problem as VA is no help at all for a Veteran to get the rating that they deserve. Its left to chance or good luck or a good Service Officer or good research but seldom if ever the VA helps out even when they know

Pamela I think that Hadit can help you

Pete,

Good catch - I didn't notice the signature line with the ratings, thanks.

Pamela,

I would try to get an increase in the percentages of the disabilities that are already SC'd,

if I had medical evidence that these conditions have worsened.

Also, if my disabilities were effecting my employment, I would also be talking with my

medical providers (and possibly with my employer) about this.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Stick with trying to get SC'ed or an increase for bi-polar disorder. Leave the PTSD alone. You want to draw a clear line between anything that happened before or after service. You don't even want to discuss your childhood, or some events that happened after you left the service. What you want to try and establish is that you were fine before service and that your problems began in service and not after service. I think you need a lawyer. You blame yourself for many things. The VA will use this against you. You have so much on your plate you need some legal help of the expert kind.