VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim For Pes Planus(flat Feet)

Rate this question

vet201060

Question

Hello guys, I have some questions about my flat feet claim to be. I was sent to physical therapy in the military 2004. They put in my medical records that I have flat feet and need orthotics. I was not aware of it til a week or so ago. I had a issue with my chronic back which is in the claim process for increase. I was sent to Physical Therapy fee based(VA pays for outside service). I was informed that my feet are flat and that I need orthotics. BTW, my entrance exam into the military(2000) stated that feet were normal. I went to my appointment with the podiatrist today. He did a cast of my feet for orthotics. I asked him about filing a va claim and he told me it is not service connected. He said most likely I have had this problem all my life. When I entered I never had any problems until 2004 to present. I have not ran since then because of it. I had been on a profile most of the time. He discouraged me from filing a claim for flat feet. My question is "Should I file a claim?".

He also told me that flat feet dont cause problems with ankles, knees, or back. My physical therapist tells me otherwise. I also believe that if you have a bad foundation(feet) with anything it with make more stress on everything else. Please help me with this guys and gals. Thanks for everything. BTW, the Doc(podiatrist) is only there 2 days a week(contract). He was a nice guy though. I asked him about the claim because he is a disabled vet himself. I need to see what he put in my medical record for today. I was shocked by what he said. Why would they make me orthotics if my feet dont cause any problems? Is he full of crap? Thanks for hearing me out!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks. I will keep you all posted. Today I got a no notice call from the VA to report to Oklahoma City. I will find out what for, tomorrow. As for falling, for the first time in my adult life I fell to the ground on Tuesday. As for the effects of my feet, my back hurts all the time.

Are you from OKC? I am from Shawnee, OK.

Thanks. I will keep you all posted. Today I got a no notice call from the VA to report to Oklahoma City. I will find out what for, tomorrow. As for falling, for the first time in my adult life I fell to the ground on Tuesday. As for the effects of my feet, my back hurts all the time.

I just won an appeal in a case very similar for bilateral pes -planus. My entrance physical the doctor noted feet as normal and near the end of my enlistment a physical therapist noted my feet and prescribed a heel lift and orthotics. I had an comp and pen exam for right knee and was denied because the examiner noted congenital flat feet possibly being the cause of the right knee. That being said I got three independent medical opinions that supported my claim that flat feet were related to my service. I was also very fortunate to find my pediatrician in her 70's that still had my files and wrote a letter that I didn't have flat feet and she would be best to know because she treated me from birth to just before my enterig the service.

I made copies of my service medical records and private medical records highlighted and tabbed the areas and pages relating to my feet and knee and entrance exam notes. I made appointments with orthopedic surgeons and asked them for an exam of my feet and to review my records and give their opinion if my current foot and knee issues began and were caused by my service. I also worte them a letter describing my military service, my occupation, where I had been stationed. What I did Long hours of standing guard on hard surfaces, ruck marches, losts of running, etc. I tried to make it as easy for the doctor to review as I could they are very busy people and while they seemed put off a bit they did an excellent job and I was only charged for the exam visit.

I know everycase is different, but if you know your right, Never quit!

Good luck!

Vet,

Check out my post "Posterior Tibial Tendonitis And Accessory Bone (Feet), Cfr 4.57 - Static Foot Deformities". I have flat feet as well and the VA podiatrist told me I have developed an accessory bone in my ankle from foot problems and Post Tibial Tendonitis (you may want to look into that as pes planus is linked to that). I will keep you updated on my claim process and hopefully there will be some useful info in it for you.

Hadrian