VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam For Ischemic Heart Disease

Rate this question

Marv

Question

I'm an old Viet Nam vet (67-68). I have filed for SC for IHD 3 times since 1995 and have been denied all 3 times. Back in December 2009 I filed again once IHD became presumptive to Agent Orange. I just received the results of my C&P exam for IHD. The diagnosis reads as follows:

"For the claimant's claimed condition of Coronary Artery Disease, the diagnosis is Coronary Artery Disease and Hypertensive Heart Disease, S/P CABG (bypass surgery) with scar. The subjective factors are per history. The objective factors are ASA, CXR reveals previous median sternotomy for CABG, ECHO shows EF of 40% and Diastolic LV dysfunction."

My past history includes 2 heart attacks, an angioplasty and 2 bypass surgeries, however, I've never been dignosed with hypertensive heart disease nor have I been treated for hypertension.

During the C&P exam the doctor did 3 blood pressure readings which read 142/78, 140/78 and 140/78. I can only assume that he based his diagnosis of Hypertensive Heart Disease only on these 3 readings. Based on the C&P doctor's recommendation I immediately visited my family doctor and my cardiologist. Both checked me out and said I did not need blood pressure medication. Blood pressure readings in their office were around 135/78.

My question is this. Do I need to inform the VA that I've never had a prior diagnosis of HHD and that my doctors don't agree with that diagnosis? Could the diagnosis of Hypertensive Heart Disease have a negative impact on my claim for the other heart conditions?

Any info will be appreciated.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Yes, you do without a doubt. My case is a little different from yours. I already have a 10% hypertension rating, and have a secondary claim at the rating board now for a six way bypass (CABG), and CAD. I was never in Vietnam. I realize the presumptive connection now to Agent Orange, but documentation showing the hypertensive aspect can only help you, and the more papers you send, the better. From your history, I am surprised, even by VA standards, that you got three denials. What exactly is your 20% rating for at the present time? I wish you the best of luck with your new claim. The final statement on my C and P exam said "It is as likely as not that the IHD/CAD was caused by the service connected hypertension."

Yes, you do without a doubt. My case is a little different from yours. I already have a 10% hypertension rating, and have a secondary claim at the rating board now for a six way bypass (CABG), and CAD. I was never in Vietnam. I realize the presumptive connection now to Agent Orange, but documentation showing the hypertensive aspect can only help you, and the more papers you send, the better. From your history, I am surprised, even by VA standards, that you got three denials. What exactly is your 20% rating for at the present time? I wish you the best of luck with your new claim. The final statement on my C and P exam said "It is as likely as not that the IHD/CAD was caused by the service connected hypertension."

With my past experience with the VA I'm concerned that the incorrect diagnosis of Hypertensive Heart Disease (HHD) would give them wiggle room to deny once again since the proposed final rule states that heart disease does not include hypertension or peripheral manifestions of arteriosclerosis. HHD is also one of the primary causes of Coronary Heart Disease, heart attack, etc. For the purposes of my claim I'm stating the cause of my heart problems is Agent Orange exposure not Hypertensive Heart Disease.