VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension(high Blood Pressure)

Rate this question

vet201060

Question

I was diagnosed in service with hypertension. I am currently getting reading of 150-165/90's. I would just be happy with a rating of 0% just in case it gets worse. I am sure it will with age. I have been out for 3.5 years now. Do they even have a 0% for it. I have seen the ratings for it. I did not see a 0% though. Thanks

I just received my rating...hypertension rated 0%.  I have BP which hoovers around 140/98...so no 100 or more Diastolic.  I am taking medication now due to doctor's recommendation which brought it down to 130/80s.  To receive higher rating, does the readings have to be 100+ WITH medication?  I am thinking with med increase as the time goes it probably will never go higher...unless I am close to heaven.  The rating was given before I started the medication.

Edited by AFRetired

How long did you have HBP, before it was DX'd, treated and brought under control? Your answer doesn't really matter. It's safe to say, it didn't just appear overnight. In most cases, if not all, HBP is working it's Dastardly Magic on your body for a significant period of time, before symptoms present and are DX'd.

If you were getting yearly check-ups, at least a 12 month window, right.

Just because you have controlled HBP,  without a DX of CAD or other Circulatory Disease, filing a Secondary Claim will get Denied.  Ask your VA PCP to refer you to the Cardiology Dept. If you were to get a Nuclear Stress Test or a Heart Echo that turned up a problem, a Heart Cath would be the defining test for CAD.

Semper Fi

Gastone,

My abnormal ecg's predate my HBP.  At the time I left service (2008), I had been treated in service for HBP, and filed for it and got SC'd for it.  I was unaware that heard disease was a seperate consideration from HBP (hypertension) and I did not claim it.  I only learned recently that I could/should have claimed heart disease.  

I already have had (last year) a Nuclear Stress Test and a Heart Echo, and I submitted those records with my latest claim(s).  

I am scheduled for a echocardiogram C&P June 22. 

I did note in my claim that the LVH could have predated or I guess, caused the HBP, or vice versa.

I did not note, but I do wonder, if the VA should have looked into heart disease when they looked at my ecg's while "gathering evidence" for my claim for HBP.  The ecg's are all (6) from while I was on active duty, dated 1999-2008.

We'll see where it goes.

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is the rating schedule for hypertension.

7101 Hypertensive vascular disease (hypertension and isolated systolic hypertension):

Diastolic pressure predominantly 130 or more 60

Diastolic pressure predominantly 120 or more 40

Diastolic pressure predominantly 110 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 200 or more 20

Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more who requires continuous medication for control 10

Note (1): Hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension must be confirmed by readings taken two or more times on at least three different days. For purposes of this section, the term hypertension means that the diastolic blood pressure is predominantly 90mm. or greater, and isolated systolic hypertension means that the systolic blood pressure is predominantly 160mm. or greater with a diastolic blood pressure of less than 90mm.

Note (2): Evaluate hypertension due to aortic insufficiency or hyperthyroidism, which is usually the isolated systolic type, as part of the condition causing it rather than by a separate evaluation.

Note (3): Evaluate hypertension separately from hypertensive heart disease and other types of heart disease.

Nowadays, the doctors aren't going to allow your blood pressure to get crazy high; they will throw all sorts of medications at you. Systolics predominately in the 160s would get you a 10 percent.

• HadIt.com Elder

mine is controlled with daily medicine I am at 10% I don't know anyone with a 0% rating for hypertension if you were diagnosed in service with it and are taking medication now you should be granted the 10% you do have your SMRs don't you? you should push for the SC because if you have a heart attack down the road it will make it a lot easier to get the MI SC then or if it is a servere one and kills you then it would make your spouse getting DIC benefits a LOT easier that is one of the reasons I spent from 2002 - 2009 fighting for the cardiac issues which the BVA had to award as the VARO would NOT do it no matter what evidence I supplied them.

Edited by Testvet