VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heart Surgery

Rate this question

deege

Question

Hello Gentlemen,

I am rated 30% for my heart and 10% each for 3 other unrelated conditions. I have mitral valve prolapse which was diagnosed while on active duty. Upon my discharge I had zero problems getting rated.

Recently I had surgery at a civilian hospital to repair my valve, all went well and I am doing fine. I get my meds through the VA, but I haven’t informed them of my surgery.

Am I required to tell them. The surgery has repaired the leak, and stopped any further damage. However, my heart is still dilated, which should continue my 30% at a minimum, plus my ejection fraction has dropped from 63% to 50% per my echo reports. My doctor said this will not improve and was my true EF before the surgery but was masked due to the extra workload on my damaged heart.

What do you think.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. Good question I see no reason that you are obligated to inform the VA.

May be a weird question but I am curious if you ever suffered symptoms of panic attacks?

I amhaving a great deal of difficulty using this forum, to answer your question, Yes, my heart would "take off" and race before I was medicated. Which I would associate with panic.

Welcome to Hadit. Good question I see no reason that you are obligated to inform the VA.

May be a weird question but I am curious if you ever suffered symptoms of panic attacks?

• HadIt.com Elder

I can tell you that a severe panic attack can mimic the syptoms of a heart attack. I went to the ER a few times where I thought I was have some kind of stroke or heart attack. It was anxiety because of not sleeping for days. Suddenly the anxiety breaks through and you have physical symptoms.

Not sure if my first post got through, I am having alot of trouble w/this forum. Yes I would have episodes of my heart "taking off" . Before I was medicated.

• HadIt.com Elder
Not sure if my first post got through, I am having alot of trouble w/this forum. Yes I would have episodes of my heart "taking off" . Before I was medicated.

When you first on Hadit you are on moderator preview so a Moderator has to find your post and ok it. On the weekends not as busy I hope that you are off preview soon

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to fill out a 21-4138 and explain you had surgury to repair the valve and send in copies of t he Surgury including th e OR report.

That will enable you to receive a temporary 100 percent rateing for convalesence for a period of 3 months(I think) and after that they base it on residuals.

J