VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P

Rate this question

EthanAllen

Question

C and P exam on June 10. I have done plenty of reading on this site and everyone says just be yourself on a bad day. I agree, but with the day bearing down it all makes sense why others express their feelings when this day approaches. My thoughts are hard to gather as it comes closer. I sit back and just keep heeding the advice before me. Letting go in the office of another person who you do not trust is daunting at best. Took six months to open up with my therapist. I want to do what I have done for 25 years and walk in and say it is alright but in truth it is not the case. Talking about the incident and all the years of messing up will be hard. Thoughts of suicide and homicide are embarrassing. Telling someone your innermost thoughts is a revelation that is gut wrenching. Am I scared, no. Am I a person who does not want to admit weakness, yes. Now I see what the dilemma is when this day arrives. Will I say it right, will I say everything, will I be overwhelmed with emotion, will they believe me, will I be brave enough to empty the bucket of emotions. Just thoughts that I have, just thoughts. My case is airtight in relation to verification. I was a business owner of eight retail locations for many years and now I have been reduced to all that I own fits in a small pick up truck. To go from 18 years of success to the last 2 years one step from homeless in beyond belief. I hate the outside world. I want to hide from everyone.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Ethan

As others have said, be yourself at your exam. They will ask you questions reguarding your condition. Answer them truthfully.

It has been my experiance over the past three years and 5 exams, that there are 2 types of examiners. Vet friendly and VA friendly. They both ask basicly the same questions because they have a form they go by. It's all in how they word thier report. After the exam, wait a few days. Then go to the ROI office and get a copy of the report. If you think it helps your claim, great. If it hurts your claim, request another C&P or get an IMO to rebutt the bad C&P.

Above all, DO NOT MISS YOU EXAM AND DONT BE LATE !!!!

Good luck on your claim.

JMHO

Had my BVA hearing and remanded for inadequate C&P exam. Read up on C&P exam and looked over VA checklist then went to my exam (Loch Raven Maryland). I just received the doctors report, what a joke. All lies, never included my comments of flareups....never took a single range of motion measurement and despite my assertion of pain during range of motion he stated no pain and no limitations. 20 years as a tanker, acl replacement, shoulder surgery, fractured thumb twice and I'm as fit as a fiddle. As much as I thought military docs were quacks atleast they have some idea of the occupational hazards associated with the various military occupations. I hope no one has to endure the type of examiner I had. Thank goodness I stayed long enough to get a pension!

C and P exam on June 10. I have done plenty of reading on this site and everyone says just be yourself on a bad day. I agree, but with the day bearing down it all makes sense why others express their feelings when this day approaches. My thoughts are hard to gather as it comes closer. I sit back and just keep heeding the advice before me. Letting go in the office of another person who you do not trust is daunting at best. Took six months to open up with my therapist. I want to do what I have done for 25 years and walk in and say it is alright but in truth it is not the case. Talking about the incident and all the years of messing up will be hard. Thoughts of suicide and homicide are embarrassing. Telling someone your innermost thoughts is a revelation that is gut wrenching. Am I scared, no. Am I a person who does not want to admit weakness, yes. Now I see what the dilemma is when this day arrives. Will I say it right, will I say everything, will I be overwhelmed with emotion, will they believe me, will I be brave enough to empty the bucket of emotions. Just thoughts that I have, just thoughts. My case is airtight in relation to verification. I was a business owner of eight retail locations for many years and now I have been reduced to all that I own fits in a small pick up truck. To go from 18 years of success to the last 2 years one step from homeless in beyond belief. I hate the outside world. I want to hide from everyone.

Freedom for the Oppressed! I love your Mencken quote, EthanAllen.

I'm sure you will do fine - good luck!

EthanAllen

My first C&P was for PTSD. I wasn't a member of Hadit at the time.

I did take time to go over my claim a couple days before my appointment, then I tried to stay busy so I wouldn't think about it too much. On the day of my exam, I shaved, bathed and dressed as I would have normally done to go to work, wearing older clothing, but not tattered or dirty. During the exam I simply answered questions honestly and to the best of my ability. I did tell the female examiner about my hearing problems because I have a major issues with female voices. I knew I would most likely have to repeat her questions to ensure that I was understanding her correctly and I didn't want her to get the wrong idea. It's embarrassing enough to have memory problems, but really embarrassing when I answer inappropriately because I don't hear properly.

Time your trip so you arrive at the C&P exam site at least 1/2 hour early (earlier if you are not familiar with the facility). Once you are there and checked in you'll most likely breath a bit easier.

I have 3 C&P's scheduled on the Sat. the 12th so I'm right behind you.

Good luck with yours!

CHR49