VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Re: Project 112 And Shad —

Commander Bob

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

June 6,2010

RE: Project 112 and Project SHAD —

http://www.veteransv...asp?News_id=686

Veterans from 1960's chemical tests press for help

By Erica Werner Associated Press

"Lawmakers and veterans of secret Cold War-era chemical and germ tests on military personnel demanded help from the Bush administration Thursday, but they got no satisfaction. Officials from the Pentagon and Veterans Affairs Department said there was no need for legislation to guarantee health care and benefits to the veterans. Thousands of servicemembers were exposed, often without their knowledge, to real and simulated chemical and biological agents, including sarin and VX. " Read Full Article Here

Edited by Tbird
Edited to avoid Copyright Infringement

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

TestVet is our expert on Shad. I never heard of it until Test started talking about it years ago. Reminds of me of Move "Jacob's ladder" which was loosely based on real events.

AO lawsuit

There are 2 reasons in my opinion why AO disability is compensated as well as certain diseases and illness in Persian Gulf War Vets (which are now also service connectable in Iraq and Afganistan veterans.

http://www.hadit.com...aded&pid=193846

One reason is that AO vets and PGW vets ( Denise Nichols comes to mind as the forefront leader in this for PGW vets)

have been organized to a degree and VERY vocal at times as to getting not only the older presumtives but having new ones added.

The three new AO presumptives =for example-did not begin in a vacuum.The internet itself has helped the AO presumptive list grow.

The second reason I feel that Project SHAD and 112 vets have been unable to get any presumptive status or proper service connections is the fact that no one in the SHAD or 112 community has done any research as far as I know as to what disabilities are prevalent in SHAD/112 veterans and then research into what type of exposure would cause those disabilities.

Of course this research (and maybe someone has done it but I am not aware of it) would include statistics from the VA as to what illnesses are being claimed in SHAD and 112 vets and that can establish a commonality.

If many if not most claims denied for SHAD were based on-lets say- respiratory disability-then that is a benchmark right there and the SHAD/112 community could attempt to organize, and collect funds for the sole purpose of getting a top notch environmental expert (or every two or three) to not only study this commonality pattern but try to link this condition to any known medical data available regarding SHAD 112 exposure and the chemicals that they used.

Love Canal is a good example of what I mean.

When someone began to document the high rate of many illnesses in this area-then they began to find even more incidence of environmental bio hazard disability than they thought.Once that data was collected the Love Canal was studied environmentally.It is a Superfund site now.

Marines are pushing about the Camp Lejeune situation of contamination- and perhaps those sites would reveal what steps they are taking to get some form of compensation for the mess there.plenty of info on the net as to contamination at Camp Lejeune.

The Agent Orange situation started out as a lawsuit:

http://www.agent-ora...settlement.html

The lawsuit had nothing at all to do with VA or the compensation program.

My husband was in it and then so was I after his death.I am sure I still have the actual suit here and all that went with it as far as the class action settlement. The settlement covered EVERY Vietnam vet who was 100% disabled. Period.

That tells me that regardless of the disability they had - Dow and the other chem companys had to cough up the cash.

It suggest to me that the inner documentation of the lawsuit held significant information that AO was more deadly then we thought and capable of causing numerous disabilities yet at the time (1991) there were very few AO presumptives at all.

The original AO lawsuit is a good read for an avenue of approach to the SHAD/112 situation.

With a major collective effort on the part of SHAD/112 vets -who are willing to donate their time and even some money- if some strong medical evidence of disabilities that could be associated with the chemicals used in SHAD./112 can be found- then a lawyer might well be quite willing to take a case.

Of course I might be talking out of my --- here- the AO lawauit involved sueing the chemical companies that made the AO and sold it to the Gov.

I have no idea who made the SHAD chems and sold them to the Mil. cripes maybe DOW did???

And the fact remains that no commonality basis has even been established yet as to prevalent disabilities in veterans who were in these tests.

Just like the history of AO- AO certainly was not confined to use in Vietnam.

The fact that vets have done the leg work to prove it was used elsewhere- and I have posted some of those cases here at hadit-

shows that the original AO suit didnt even have all the facts.

Since Danang Air base today has a level of dioxin that is 400 times what it was during the Vietnam War(Hatfield Study 2007) that too shows that not only is the AO situation still only at the tip of the iceberg in my opinion-

but also research into SHAD and 112 vets and scientific assessments of the actual bio chems they used might in the long run reveal SHAD/112 is an iceberg too.

These statements are my opinions only.

The clock is ticking for 112/SHAD veterans -it is ticking for us all- but these vets have to collectively not only support any pending legislation but begin to support it with some scientific and medical facts.

They need to view the entire SHAD 112 situation as a VA claim.

It will take medical evidence and a strong nexus factor.

Edited by carlie
Double post within post

I posted this info at your other post:

Has the VA ever sent you a letter identifying you as a SHAD vet?

Have you looked up the SHAD exercise operation you were in-in the Ops SHAD list?

There are no SHAD presumptives as there has not been found any commonality factor in disablites of vets that can be attributed to SHAD.

You would need to prove you have a documented disability that,by medical evidence, is solely due to SHAD participation.

• HadIt.com Elder

SHAD vets are classified as level 6 VA patients and all medical care is paid for if you feel it was caused by your exposures during SHAD/112 that covers all physical and mental issues but as you were told earlier there are NO presumptive disorders that get compensated some have been SC for PTSD caused by the human experiments but that is the extent of it the IOM is currently reopening a new study of long term health problems caused by the exposures but it will be 2-3 years before the study is completed given that most SHAD vets are already in their 70s this is not a good option but it is the only option

2 congressmen are working hard on this issue Mike Thompson and Danny Rehberg on the other hand none of the other human test subjects get Category 6 level VA health care just because they were in the human experiments at Fort Detrick from 1955 thru 1972 or Edgewood Arsenal from 1941-1975 or Dugway from the 1940s thru 1975 or at Fort Greeley in the 50s, and 60s nor the radiation vets unless they can prove they have one of the presumptive list cancers which is a long list they were also entitled to file a RECA claim thru the DOJ and get 75,000 dollars due to the radiation exposures.

Human experiments are still a very closed mouth issue with the VA, DOD, CIA and Congress and the IOM seldom finds any issue with DOD projects that find DOD liable for damage to veterans.