VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mississippi Scale For Combat Rated Ptsd

Rate this question

Chu Lai69

Question

After getting a copy of my C&P (review), I noticed a section in my review that stated this: "The veteran completed the Mississippi Scale for Combat Related PTSD with a raw score of 157. A cutoff score of 107 is proposed for Vietnam Veterans; therefore his performance suggests a high level of PTSD symptoms experienced currently. This is in comparison to previous administrations of the Mississippi with raw scores of 119 on 9-12-08 and 162 on 12-31-09. The results of psychometric testing support interview data and suggest the symptoms remained in the severe range since the last exam.

Can someone please help me understand this? Will this statement help with my claim of IU. I do not know what the Mississippi Scale for Combat Related PTSD is??

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It will help I think, but there needs to be more evidence because it does not say you are IU. That is why you need medical report by a MD. You need your stressor verified. You need a DX of PTSD and you need GAF.

It will help I think, but there needs to be more evidence because it does not say you are IU. That is why you need medical report by a MD. You need your stressor verified. You need a DX of PTSD and you need GAF.

John all that you stated is in there plus the GAF is 41, I just did not know what a Mississippi test was? The C&P report is about 4 pages long so I did not post the whole thing on here LOL

• HadIt.com Elder

The Mississippi Scale just helps confirm you have PTSD and that you're not just a wannabee. It is additional evidence, of the severity, but minimal at best. You need more evidence you're unemployable and not just unemployed. jmo

pr

After getting a copy of my C&P (review), I noticed a section in my review that stated this: "The veteran completed the Mississippi Scale for Combat Related PTSD with a raw score of 157. A cutoff score of 107 is proposed for Vietnam Veterans; therefore his performance suggests a high level of PTSD symptoms experienced currently. This is in comparison to previous administrations of the Mississippi with raw scores of 119 on 9-12-08 and 162 on 12-31-09. The results of psychometric testing support interview data and suggest the symptoms remained in the severe range since the last exam.

Can someone please help me understand this? Will this statement help with my claim of IU. I do not know what the Mississippi Scale for Combat Related PTSD is??

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder

Right, you need a doctor or someone with creditials to say you are unemployable due soley to your PTSD. The VA does not connect the obvious dots. Your claim is decided by a layman so to speak. The rater has no special medical or legal knowledge. You have to spell it out for them. I think this is what me and Phil are trying to say. I once had a rater say that because I was unemployed it could not be determined if I was unemployable. This is what you are dealing with at your good old VA. I got two docs to say I was IU due to my SC condition. Even that did not do it the first time because one doctor mentioned a NSC condition. The VA said that was the reason I could not work the NSC condition. It took another IMO to get that right.

Right, you need a doctor or someone with creditials to say you are unemployable due soley to your PTSD. The VA does not connect the obvious dots. Your claim is decided by a layman so to speak. The rater has no special medical or legal knowledge. You have to spell it out for them. I think this is what me and Phil are trying to say. I once had a rater say that because I was unemployed it could not be determined if I was unemployable. This is what you are dealing with at your good old VA. I got two docs to say I was IU due to my SC condition. Even that did not do it the first time because one doctor mentioned a NSC condition. The VA said that was the reason I could not work the NSC condition. It took another IMO to get that right.

As I stated, the VA doctors statement is on record for that review as IU do to conditions of PTSD. Everything in the review is what needs to be in there. I was just confused or uncertain what a Mississippi Scale for Combat Rated PTSD was for? But yes the statement of not being able to work because of PTSD is stated by the VA Psyc is in there. Thanks all.

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to be unemployable due "solely" to SC conditions. You have to watch that word. If you have any other NSC conditions they VA may try and say that is the reason you can't work.