• HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran providing FREE information and community to veterans since 1997.

I am proud that I've been able to offer all that HadIt.com has for free for 19 years and continue to do so. HadIt.com does accept contributions to help with costs we also offer paid ad free subscriptions. None of the paid options are required. The forum, the website, news site and podcast are free and will remain so. If you choose to support the site with a contribution or a subscription it is appreciated but never required. If you choose to make a contribution or purchase an ad free subscription, you can do so here. 

Vietnam Veteran (Father) Died Of Als...

I do not know if I'm in the right spot, but I have a long story and am searching for answers. My father served in the US Army from 1965-1973. He served in Vietnam and received numerous medals including the Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star, and an Air Medal to name a few. In 2002, he was diagnosed with ALS also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. He filed a claim for benefits. At the time, ALS was not considered a service connected disability. He died in January of 2004 and his claim was still in-process. He died without ever receiving a dime, and feeling as if his service meant nothing. I was resentful for so long, because had he had that money, he would have been able to stay at home rather than go into a nursing home. He needed around the clock care. When he died, the military presented me with a flag and paid $600 on his funeral bill. That being said, I found out that in 2008, ALS was found to be service connected. I wrote my congressman and told my story. I told him that the VA at least owed the $2000 for a service related death. I filled out forms and the congressman's office went to work. I just received this letter two days ago. Can anyone please decipher this for me and tell me what it means or what the VA is doing? What is my father's service to this country worth?

Status 6/10/10 (rjm)

Thank you for contacting us regarding Mr. Sparkman.

The regional office is in the process now of reopening the veterans claim for possible service connection for Lou Gehrig's disease. When the decision is made, Ms. Knuckles will be notified with an award letter.

Additional benefits will be paid if Mr. Sparkman's death is rated as being service connected.

The letter goes on to say that if I have questions to call 1-800-827-1000. I did and the answers were generic. First, I was told that no claim was open. Then I was told that a burial benefits claim was open. I am so confused. Can anyone please help me? I want to honor my father by fighting this. He deserved so much more

4 answers to this question

Did the VA tell your mother to file a DIC claim for his service connected death. She may need to do that pronto. Hopefully Berta will chime in here as she knows this process inside and out.

First of all, do not use the #800 'phone system, instead use "IRIS", the va.gov website contact system. You'll get a much more comprehensive answer. And, yes, there is quite a bit that you can and need to do to get some satisfaction, and your Mom needs and deserves the DIC (Dependency Indemnity Compensation) that goes with having a husband die of service-connected causes, and, as has been mentioned, Berta is our resident GURU when it comes to DIC. I deferr to her judgement in all matters DIC-related.

John is right- only AO Nehmer DIC claims can be filed by and awarded to the next of kin.I am not sure how the VA would accept you as the legal claimant here.

What you received is jst a basic letter of acknowledgement.The pre determination team would raise the issue of who the claimant should be.

Is your mother still alive?

Accrued benefits (benefits that a compensation award determines were due to a veteran in his or her lifetime,less any compensation he or she already received -are only payable if the 21-534 form was received by the VA within one year after death.

There are no exceptions to that I am aware of.

When did his spouse file the 21-534? Was it within that first year after death?

Did she formally re-open that claim he had pending for VA comp?

If so what is the status of that claim?

Re-opened claims (that generated the accrued payment award) must be-as I mentioned -filed within one year after death and continuously supported with evidence.

There certainly could be a funeral expense payment due the surviving spouse.

I received in May of this year a smaller payment than that (I think 2,000 is the maximum depending on the actual funeral expense) because my hsband was cremated and had a VA cemetery burial. Still almost 15 years had passed since I applied for this benefit and it was part of the recent AO death DIC award I got so there was not time limit for that payment.

This funeral expense payment is also covered by the formal 21-534 application.

. "I wrote my congressman and told my story. I told him that the VA at least owed the $2000 for a service related death. I filled out forms and the congressman's office went to work"

What forms did you fill out? Was this the actual 21-534 form? It is quite an extensive form as I recall.

If there is no surviving spouse - I dont foresee any way you could be a DIC claimant.

I do think you are seeking a burial/funeral payment.The VA asked me again for the same funeral bills etc they had in my C file for 15 years so it is good idea to have that information ready when they request it from you.

Were you the person who actually paid the funeral/burial expenses?

If I find any more info on any eligibility you could have as daughter of the deceased veteran I will post it here- but other than AO claims (whereby the VA MUST pay any accrued, funeral expenses etc to the next of kin if the AO vet's spouse is deceased)I see only the potential here for recovery of funeral expenses to a degree the VA will determine based on the receipts of those expenses-to you- only if you paid these expenses yourself.I will try to check that out and find a regulation.

Was the ALS listed on the death certificate as causing or contributing to his death?

Did his spouse or yourself re-open his pending within one year after his death or request formally to be substituted for him on the claim that was pending at time of his death?

“Effective September 23, 2008, VA issued a new regulation

establishing presumptive service connection for ALS. 38

C.F.R. § 3.318 (2008). The regulation provides that the

development of ALS manifested at any time after discharge or

release from active military, naval, or air service is

sufficient to establish service connection for that disease.

However, service connection will not be established (1) if

there is affirmative evidence that ALS was not incurred

during or aggravated by service; (2) if there is affirmative

evidence that ALS is due to the Veteran's own willful

misconduct; or (3) if the Veteran did not have active,

continuous service of 90 days or more. Id.”

In this BVA decision the regulations are further described:

“The new § 3.318 applies to all applications for benefits that

are received by VA on or after September 23, 2008, or that

are pending before VA, the United States Court of Appeals for

Veterans Claims, or the United States Court of Appeals for

the Federal Circuit on September 23, 2008.”

This is from the VA web site as to the Burial Benefits:

(This is why I asked who paid for his burial expenses.On my funeral bill the funeral director had indicated the funeral expense was paid by me with date of payment and my personal checking account number and this is what they VA needed to have.The 2,000 is the most they will pay even if the burial expenses were higher than that.

I also had to state I received 300 from the SSA as a burial payment.There could also be a plot interment amount they will refund to you.Apparently there is separate form from the 534 for this payment.The 21-530 form.

'Department of Veterans

Burial and Plot-Interment Allowances

What Are VA Burial Allowances?

VA burial allowances are partial reimbursements of an eligible veteran's burial and funeral costs. When the cause of death is not service related, the reimbursements are generally described as two payments: (1) a burial and funeral expense allowance, and (2) a plot or interment allowance.

Who Is Eligible?

You may be eligible for a VA burial allowance if:

you paid for a veteran's burial or funeral, AND

you have not been reimbursed by another government agency or some other source, such as the deceased veteran's employer, and

the veteran was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.

In addition, at least one of the following conditions must be met:

the veteran died because of a service-related disability, or

the veteran was receiving VA pension or compensation at the time of death, Or

the veteran was entitled to receive VA pension or compensation, but decided not to reduce his/her military retirement or disability pay, or

the veteran died while hospitalized by VA, or while receiving care under VA contract at a non-VA facility, OR

the veteran died while traveling under proper authorization and at VA expense to or from a specified place for the purpose of examination, treatment, or care, OR

the veteran had an original or reopened claim pending at the time of death and has been found entitled to compensation or pension from a date prior to the date or death, OR

the veteran died on or after October 9, 1996, while a patient at a VA-approved state nursing home.

How Much Does VA Pay?

Service-Related Death. VA will pay up to $2,000 toward burial expenses for deaths on or after September 11, 2001. VA will pay up to $1,500 for deaths prior to September 10, 2001. If the veteran is buried in a VA national cemetery, some or all of the cost of transporting the deceased may be reimbursed.

Nonservice-Related Death. VA will pay up to $300 toward burial and funeral expenses and a $300 plot-interment allowance for deaths on or after December 1, 2001. The plot-interment allowance is $150 for deaths prior to December 1, 2001. If the death happened while the veteran was in a VA hospital or under VA contracted nursing home care, some or all of the costs for transporting the veteran’s remains may be reimbursed.

How Can You Apply?

You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-530, Application for Burial Benefits. You should attach a copy of the veteran’s military discharge document (DD 214 or equivalent), death certificate, funeral and burial bills. They should show that you have paid them in full. You may download the form at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/'>http://www.va.gov/vaforms/

Related Benefits

VA National Cemetery Burials / Headstones and Markers / Presidential Memorial Certificates / Burial Flags

For More Information, Call Toll-Free 1-800-827-1000

or Visit Our Web Site at http://www.va.gov

Compensation & Pension Service – May 2008"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Announcements

• A bit about Tbird and HadIt.com for those who've asked...

The following is on my About page, but some have been asking how this all happened. So here is my little story. Tbird US Navy 1983 – 1990 E-6 HadIt.com the website domain registered Jan 20, 1997 the domain is registered and paid for through Jan 21, 2023 at which time I plan to register it for another 15 years Lord willing and the creek don't rise. I guess the best place to start is Jan 1991; I had gotten out of the navy Dec 1990. At my separation seminar, there was a DAV rep Jim Milton he told us to bring our medical records in and he would look through them for us and let us know if we should file a claim with the VA. Well, bless his heart, he opened my medical file, reads the first insert, looks me straight in the eye, and says you will be 50% for the rest of your life and he would file the claim for me. 50% was for surgery I had in the service. True to his word he met with me and talked with me for a long time filled out my paper work and urged me to file for PTSD. I would not file the PTSD claim, nor even discuss it. By Feb 1991 I had moved to the San Francisco bay area and was staying at a friends apartment and pretty much I was just a puddle. In desperation one night I called suicide hot line, I had no job, no idea about going to the VA. They talked with me for a long time and explained to me that I could go to the local VA hospital even if I did not have insurance. Now, I know what you are thinking if I was 50% why didn't I just go to the VA in the first place, two reasons 1, this was Feb 1991 and the 50% didn't come till May and 2, even if it had come through it is unlikely that I would have had the mental acuity at the time to put the two together. I relate this here because it is where so many of our brothers and sisters are coming from, perhaps where you started. Fuzzy and unsure, in pain and sometimes homeless they come to the VA hospital for help. And that is where I ended up. Up to the pysch ward I went, blah, blah, blah, a few days later I was released with a promise of a call from the out patient program, which I would soon be entering. Blah, blah, blah, after many missed communications, and no call backs I was at the Day Hospital everyday M-F. And this brothers and sisters is where I began to learn and formulate my plan for HadIt.com. Veterans, veterans everywhere…I spent a year in the day hospital and about another year at a sheltered workshop before I got back on my feet. So I just talked to veterans everyday waiting for appointments, waiting for prescriptions, waiting for a vet rep and I started to learn the system. While in the navy I was data analyst and had to learn a 5 volume manual and just about anything you were suppose to do was in that manual. So I figured there must be a manual on how to do a VA claim or at the very least regulations. So I found out about the Code of Federal Regulations, United States Code, Veterans Affairs Manuals and so on and so forth. Of course this was 1991/1992 I was living in a tiny studio apartment in a particularly bad neighborhood, working in a sheltered workshop making a nickel per envelope I stuffed throw in PTSD and you will see that it was a difficult task for me to get somewhere where they had copies of these, let alone that they would let me look at. And there was so much knowledge around me, it was like the gold rush in those days, I could just sit on a bench a veteran would sit down next to me a little conversation later I had another nugget, I made copious notes. Phone numbers to call, ask for this guy or that guy he'll give you the straight scoop and they'd slip me a piece of paper with a number on it. You want to read this regulation or that one and another slip of paper into my hand. I spent a lot of time on those benches watching the squirrels they gathered their nuts and I gathered mine :) So I'm thinking I could put a little handbook together print it out and hand it out at the VA. Or perhaps fliers. Still formulating, time goes by, 1994/1995 I am being treated for PTSD regularly and doing and feeling much better and I go to work for a company as a marketing systems analyst and I discover the internet. Well let me tell you that was perhaps one of the most significant life changing events I have ever experienced. And I might add finally a positive one :) It seemed only natural to me that surely there must be a website that contained all the knowledge I wanted, well as it turned out not so much, lots of stuff but I wanted to get straight to the claims information and there was a lot of stuff to wade through to get to it. So taking my lesson from the squirrels earlier I started to gather, gather, gather…and learn HTML and work as a marketing systems analyst and work my claim. 1996/1997 major PTSD cork blows and unemployed. Working my claim, working the website. 20 Jan 1997 register HadIt.com domain name right after getting off the phone with the VA and saying I've had it with this. As fate would have it the old DAV board goes down just as mine opens up and folks start to wander in. So HadIt.com has two main components the website which supports the discussion board with links, articles, research resources etc. The website starts to grow, I can't tell you how many times I had to switch servers for space and features. I continue on a downward trend and in 1998 ended up back home in St Louis living in my sisters basement in therapy and working it, I swear I would have swung a dead chicken around my head at midnight naked if I thought it would have helped. The website continued to do great during this time, I just stayed in the basement bought new software, new books, and learned how to make things work and I continued to use this knowledge to make HadIt.com better. My 100% finally came through from the VA and I had a friend who is an advocate who helped me thru my SSDI claim, he was literally at my side thru the entire process and that came through for me. My therapist and sister continued to try and get me to leave the basement, but to no avail. At some point in 1998 or 1999 I put a counter on the website and was shocked to discover how many visitors we were getting. Time goes by my sister gets married and I move from the basement to the upstairs, there is much celebration that Aunt T is living in the light again. More time goes by and I settle into my life in St Louis and spend more time on the site trying new things, finding more information. 2003 I buy my own home VA loan. For years now I have just considered HadIt.com my job and I get up every morning go to the office and work for several hours, take an afternoon break and see where the rest of day takes me. I have a place in the office to use the computer and a comfortable to place to read journals and articles and take notes. Blah, blah, blah so that is my story and HadIt.com's intertwined.
    • HadIt.com Pass It On Cards

Hi I've updated our HadIt.com Pass It On Cards. They are in a PDF format you can print them out cut them there are 12 to a page. If you have found HadIt.com helpful and would like to pass it on to other veterans this is an easy way to do it.I hope you find them helpful, feel free to leave a few anywhere veterans gather, veterans centers, veterans hospitals, public libraries, be creative. Please make sure though, that if you want to leave some at any business you ask permission first.Here you go http://www.hadit.com...it_on_cards.pdf
    • VA Training and Fast Letter Forum Index

VA Training and Fast Letter Forum Index The following is the index with links to the various Training and Fast Letters plus a few miscellaneous. These letters are not necessarily in the original formatting. I have tried to present them in an easy-to-read form instead of some forms as originally presented. Some of the paragraphs were WAAAAYYY too long. lol - HadIt.com Member fanaticbooks Something to be aware.... Some of these letters may be rescinded, outdated, or otherwise no longer viable. I have still included them because sometimes they provide additional insight or just plain more information than the newest version. Use them wisely. The oldest letters will display at the bottom with the latest letters displayed at the top, all in sequential numbers. Coding of the letters... FL = Fast Letter TL = Training Letter First two numbers = last two digits of year of origin Training Letter http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40694-va-tl-00-07/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40693-va-tl-00-06/ Fast Letter Number Title http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44262-va-fl-11-15/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44260-va-fl-11-13/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44261-va-fl-11-11/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44310-va-fl-11-09/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42151-va-fl-11-03/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40957-va-fl-10-49/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40958-va-fl-10-46/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40959-va-fl-10-45/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40960-va-fl-10-42/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40961-va-fl-10-39/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40962-va-fl-10-35/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40963-va-fl-10-34/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40964-va-fl-10-32/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40966-va-fl-10-30/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40967-va-fl-10-26/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40968-va-fl-10-25/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40819-va-fl-10-24e1/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40818-va-fl-10-24/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40817-va-fl-10-22/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40814-va-fl-10-04/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40969-va-fl-10-03/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40812-va-fl-10-02/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40808-va-fl-09-52/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40806-va-fl-09-50/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40970-va-fl-09-41/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40971-va-fl-09-38/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40804-va-fl-09-33/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40972-va-fl-09-28/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40671-va-fl-09-27/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40973-va-fl-09-26/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40803-va-fl-09-25/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40802-va-fl-09-21e2/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40801-va-fl-09-21/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40799-va-fl-09-20/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40798-va-fl-09-17/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40974-va-fl-09-15/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40975-va-fl-09-13/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40797-va-fl-09-10e1/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40796-va-fl-09-10/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40795-va-fl-09-09/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40976-va-fl-09-08/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40794-va-fl-09-07/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40793-va-fl-09-06/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40977-va-fl-09-05/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40731-va-fl-08-41/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40730-va-fl-08-38/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40729-va-fl-08-36/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40728-va-fl-08-34/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40726-va-fl-08-33/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40725-va-fl-08-31/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40978-va-fl-08-29/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40724-va-fl-08-26/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40723-va-fl-08-23/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40722-va-fl-08-20/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40979-va-fl-08-15/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40721-va-fl-08-12/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40720-va-fl-08-10/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40719-va-fl-08-08/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41580-va-fl-08-02/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40717-va-fl-07-27/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40980-va-fl-07-19/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40981-va-fl-07-15/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40718-va-fl-07-10/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40716-va-fl-07-07/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40715-va-fl-07-06/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40701-va-fl-07-01/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40983-va-fl-06-29/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40699-va-fl-06-28/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40984-va-fl-06-27/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41579-va-fl-06-26/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40698-va-fl-06-25/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40986-va-fl-06-24/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40987-va-fl-06-21/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40988-va-fl-06-19/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40696-va-fl-05-08/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40697-va-fl-04-13/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40989-va-fl-04-06/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42415-va-fl-02-24/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41582-va-fl-01-94/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40990-va-fl-00-44/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41581-va-fl-00-33/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40991-va-fl-99-124/ Miscellaneous http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40993-best-practice-manual-for-posttraumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44264-auditory-noise-fsh-regulation-no-40-7-appendix-b/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44266-auditory-noise-duty-mosjob-title/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44265-auditory-noise-cam-regulation-40-5/ VHA Directives Number Title http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41073-va-vha-directive-2010-045/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42174-vha-directive-2010-033/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42175-vha-directive-2010-029/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42176-vha-directive-2010-014/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42177-vha-directive-2010-012/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42178-vha-directive-2010-009/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42179-vha-directive-2009-048/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42180-vha-directive-2009-047/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42150-vha-directive-2008-071/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42181-vha-directive-2008-070/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44263-vha-directive-2008-005/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42182-vha-directive-2007-039/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42183-vha-directive-2007-024/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42184-vha-directive-2007-016/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42185-vha-directive-2007-013/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42186-vha-directive-2006-057/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40994-va-vha-directive-2006-013/ http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42187-vha-directive-2000-029/
    • Like Us On Facebook

If you like us, let us know, take 5 seconds to like us on Facebook http://t.co/55HIB1QrnQ
  • HadIt.com Twitter