VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long Will Decision Letter Take

Rate this question

BD Webb

Question

My rating decision was completed on June 15. It is with the reviewer. What is the timeline on that? I am just trying to figure out when I should receive my letter as my house burned down, but I still get mail there. We are in an emergency apartment, and believe me, it is not where I want to be. It's crazy here.

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I know its hard but once you have done all you can at least wait with confidence that eventually VA will award your earned benefits.

I wish you luck.

BD,

VA 101 - the 800 # is not set up to provide accurate claims status tracking information,

and there really is no way for this to be done.

Only the claimant has time limits, not the VA.

The 800 #'s goal is to answer basic questions and end the call quickly.

The VA works like this:

The 800 # told you "the review was completed on Friday July 9, 2010".

What they did not say and what they do not know can be several things,

If during the review someone decided that some issue needed additional development,

if the decision needs to go thru authorization for a higher or additional signature,

and legalities on VBA's end regarding the post decision issues.

I am not saying this to be rude or to disappoint you but it's like this,

You will get your rating decision when you or your lawyer get it.

Since your already signed up for direct deposit - you will get your money when it hits the bank.

Anything other than this is mere speculation.

jmho.

That's why I love you, you get straight to the point. I know there will probably be problems because it's six years back pay and I don't think they will want to pay it to me, but I will now keep GOD first and COUNTRY second (lol). You are always right on time. Thanks.

FACTS:

Call centers in Utah, and Az have faxed to me, my % letter(ie when was 50%), faxed me my recent grant of 10% award for HTN secondary to PTSD,(6 pgs)and last thurs faxed a fellow vet his determination letter of "Claim remains unchanged, increase denied at this time...(3) pgs. Initially when questioned them on the phone they say "We cannot give you any determination information,only the date a decision has been made, however if you have a fax machine we can fax you the decision that appears on our computer screen, if you give us your fax #. You cannot and will not receive any information regarding a decision verbally, and only faxed when a decision is made, which apparently, as I have the copies of my faxes from them in hand show. No mention of any amounts of $$ is on these papers but the granting or denial is. With the granting it does delinate the % granted.

When I call, I do it according to the pacific time zone and have always gotten Ut or Az and make sure I get the persons first name and try to build up a pleasant cordial rapport with them.

Oh yeah I have called many, many, many times and gotten ridiculous information... with areas in different part of the country, but then you can find someone who is fairly intelligent and can read a computer screen and "viola" you can at least receive a BASIC DECISION fax.

3 times out of many, many, many calls, receiving WRITTEN VALID NOTIFICATION per FAXES, IS WORTH IT TO ME!

Later we got the official letters within 7-10 days, SOC per snail mail and all of the regular forms too. Soon after the $ showed up in the bank.

So I still call the call center when I think it may be time for something to show up on the screen, and get goof balls and may call back again in a few minutes and get a decent person who WILL actually read the screen, and can tell in my voice the torment, and have the ability to fax it... although few/good people here at these special times too!

Had I personally not received these faxes, I would be skeptical too...BUT IN HAND AS I TYPE THIS!!

Edited by halos2

Well I called today and they said the letter was sent out. I guess my money will be in the bank by saturday (hopefully)(lol). I really could use it because our house burned down (thanks to grandson) and we got emergency apt in the wrong side of town. My hubby is blind, so everything falls on me and I keep having these anxiety attacks because there are too many thugs over here. I'm not getting any sleep. The sooner I get from here the better. Hopefully rebuilding tampabay together will fix my house because I am ready to go home, and my husband has gotten so depressed and is ready to go home.

I will keep you all posted as we go. Say a prayer for both of us. I am so glad ya'll are here.