VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Education For An 18 Year Old Dependant

Rate this question

rdnkjeeper

Question

I need to find the form to fill out so I can keep my 18 year old on my claim. She is 18 but still going to school and starts college in the fall. Anyone know where the form is?

Thanks

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I need to find the form to fill out so I can keep my 18 year old on my claim. She is 18 but still going to school and starts college in the fall. Anyone know where the form is?

Thanks

The correct form should be VA form 21-674 and the school does not have to sign it. I Just filled out part I and part III and send it in.

My daughter turned 18 and was still in high school and had a few months (4) before she graduated and my Voc Rehab counselor helped me fill out this form and I was paid until she graduated.

http://www.vba.va.go...-21-674-ARE.pdf

Hope This Helps.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Please remember that you NEVER have to fill out the correct VA Form # --as long as your Letter to the VA clearly states your Claim, the VA is responsible for sending you the correct FORM!! Just send them a 1-2 paragraph letter, dated, signed, ssn, etc. ~Wings

Edited by Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Please remember that you NEVER have to fill out the correct VA Form # --as long as your Letter to the VA clearly states your Claim, the VA is responsible for sending you the correct FORM!! Just send them a 1-2 paragraph letter, dated, signed, ssn, etc. ~Wings

But, why?

I mean, why not file the correct form to start with?

Heck, they are ALL on the va.gov website, under the "forms" heading.

Fill the correct one out, send it in, and be done with it. Why contribute to the backlog of claims?

Even the Chap 35 peeps are being overloaded and the "okays" on the educational benefits are running way behind.

But, do what ya want to.

just sayin.................

§ 3.57 Child.

(a) General. (1) Except as provided in paragraphs (a)(2) and (3) of this section, the term child of the veteran means an unmarried person who is a legitimate child, a child legally adopted before the age of 18 years, a stepchild who acquired that status before the age of 18 years and who is a member of the veteran's household or was a member of the veteran's household at the time of the veteran's death, or an illegitimate child; and(i) Who is under the age of 18 years; or

(ii) Who, before reaching the age of 18 years, became permanently incapable of self-support; or

(iii) Who, after reaching the age of 18 years and until completion of education or training (but not after reaching the age of 23 years) is pursuing a course of instruction at an educational institution approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For the purposes of this section and §3.667, the term “educational institution” means a permanent organization that offers courses of instruction to a group of students who meet its enrollment criteria, including schools, colleges, academies, seminaries, technical institutes, and universities. The term also includes home schools that operate in compliance with the compulsory attendance laws of the States in which they are located, whether treated as private schools or home schools under State law. The term “home schools” is limited to courses of instruction for grades kindergarten through 12.

The form is a 21-674b. You child can stay on you award until age 23 as long as they are still in school.

• HadIt.com Elder

But, why?

I mean, why not file the correct form to start with?

Heck, they are ALL on the va.gov website, under the "forms" heading.

Fill the correct one out, send it in, and be done with it. Why contribute to the backlog of claims?

Even the Chap 35 peeps are being overloaded and the "okays" on the educational benefits are running way behind.

But, do what ya want to.

just sayin.................

x

x

x

File a Claim to establish the earliest effectice date!

By all means, find the right VA Form, tell her which one it is, she asked on the 4th of July amd didn't get an answer --that's almost a month's worth of basic rate. ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

§ 3.57 Child.

(a) General. (1) Except as provided in paragraphs (a)(2) and (3) of this section, the term child of the veteran means an unmarried person who is a legitimate child, a child legally adopted before the age of 18 years, a stepchild who acquired that status before the age of 18 years and who is a member of the veteran's household or was a member of the veteran's household at the time of the veteran's death, or an illegitimate child; and(i) Who is under the age of 18 years; or

(ii) Who, before reaching the age of 18 years, became permanently incapable of self-support; or

(iii) Who, after reaching the age of 18 years and until completion of education or training (but not after reaching the age of 23 years) is pursuing a course of instruction at an educational institution approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For the purposes of this section and §3.667, the term “educational institution” means a permanent organization that offers courses of instruction to a group of students who meet its enrollment criteria, including schools, colleges, academies, seminaries, technical institutes, and universities. The term also includes home schools that operate in compliance with the compulsory attendance laws of the States in which they are located, whether treated as private schools or home schools under State law. The term “home schools” is limited to courses of instruction for grades kindergarten through 12.

The form is a 21-674b. You child can stay on you award until age 23 as long as they are still in school.

Thanks Sharon!! ~Wings