VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is A Normal Percentage For Major Depression?

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

Thanks, on VA website I saw 30 to 50% or so. Current gaf is 50 and because of worries, work is a few days here or there only. Not sure if SSDI is available to me, spouse works, kids in school..

Cowgirl;

I had applied for IU/T&P and I was employed Full Time but I was on Medical Leave due to Depression, Stress and I hardly ever worked just some here and there. The VA gave me an increase for my PTSD to 30% and for my Chronic Polyneuropathy 40% for combined rating to 70%. However, individually I add up to 90%. They told me that since I was considered Full Time Employed that I met the schedular requirements but because of my status I was denied IU because considered Fully employed even though I didn't actually work 40hrs a week. They did state that if and when I was no longer employed that I should reapply at that time and I'm waiting on that decision now, because in Oct/05 I exploded at work and have been unemployed every since. They really feel like if your 100% or T&P, IU then how can you manage to hold a full time job even if you don't go in every day.

But I'll let you know when I get my decision, hopefully it won't be to much longer...good luck.

Michelle

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA wants to wait until you are jobless and homeless to grant IU or 100%. This is a good way to discourage people from doing what is necessary to get it. That is why those who get IU or 100% deserve it.