VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Been Diagnoses With Ms?

retiredat44

Question

Anyone been diagnoses with MS? I have been going for some C&P exams, and while I was recently diagnosed with Dystrphy, I stil suspect I have MS, and am anxiously awaiting the outcome..

I would like to chat with those that have MS, or suspect they do..

thanx..

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Could you tell me more about the symptoms that you first noticed and how they progressed?

Thanx

I was recently diagnosed with MS, after about 6-7 years looking for an answer. It is a very difficult disease to diagnose because it mimics so many other diseases. I am service connected and currently rated at 30% for MS (90% overall) I would suggest going to a "civilian" doctor if you have access/insurance. They may be able to hopefully properly diagnose.

Although it really, really sucks to have the disease, it is almost a relief to have an answer, and that it is not "all in your head". The VA definitely didn't diagnose me, and i don't think they would ever have, it was me having an excellent neurologist who diagnosed me and sent me for 2 second opinions. They gave un-refutable evidence. ( I think 30% is ridiculously low but I am working on that.)

MS IS a huge puzzle and as soon as you put one piece in the right spot, you find another empty one:) I hope you get the answer to your illness. The sooner you start therapy the better.

Tami

Edited by retiredat44

• HadIt.com Elder

After more than a decade of being left with a diagnoses of, "Neuromuscular Disorder of Unknown Cause" I recieved during my C&P examination for Pension,(1997). I was diagnosed with MS during an IMO from a neuroradiologist in 2005.

During a resent C&P examination this last May, the examiner discovered that I have a neurological condition and advised I should followup with my PCP.

The VA also diagnosed me with having Traumatic Brain Injury, likely due to a toxin in 2000.

Other than muscle relaxants and break through pain meds I recieve no other treatment for MS or TBI from the VA. From what I see of all the recalls for the expermental drugs for MS they have, it looks like i'm not missing out on much.

I see the El Toro article:

http://www.veteranst...nwanted-legacy/

(which has already been listed in these forums..)

it tells about the toxic chemcials, some of which are the Jet Fuel and also trichloroethylene, both of which I was sick from on active duty and in my service medical records. I have been disgnosed with several diseases including Myotonic Dystrophy (from bases I was stationed at in the USAF), but they so far refused to say it's MS.. yet I have many diseases.. my C&P results might be ready soon, I had the c&p exams last month, and am awaiting the new rating.. Currently it's at 50% for just the exposure and headaches, but have added many more afflictions and diseases.. I got an IMO to and added it with my claim..

I am confused though why they didn't say it is MS, with so many miserable diseases and afflictions I suffer from..

That is why I would like to hear about what symptoms people felt, feel, and the progression of the health problems.. So I can understand what is wrong with me and to see if the VA has a clue, or if they are guessing..

Thanx,

:ph34r:

After more than a decade of being left with a diagnoses of, "Neuromuscular Disorder of Unknown Cause" I recieved during my C&P examination for Pension,(1997). I was diagnosed with MS during an IMO from a neuroradiologist in 2005.

During a resent C&P examination this last May, the examiner discovered that I have a neurological condition and advised I should followup with my PCP.

The VA also diagnosed me with having Traumatic Brain Injury, likely due to a toxin in 2000.

Other than muscle relaxants and break through pain meds I recieve no other treatment for MS or TBI from the VA. From what I see of all the recalls for the expermental drugs for MS they have, it looks like i'm not missing out on much.

Edited by retiredat44

I had a blood test to have my DNA tested for Myotonic Dystrophy.. the results should come any day now, I only just had the blood drawn yesterday, per a doctors request from a neurologist at the VA..

• HadIt.com Elder

Here's a couple things I found out about diagnosing MS.

They look for certain bands in the spinal fluid sample. But 20% of all MS patients show normal spinal fluid samples.

They also look for scatered lesions in the white matter with at least one lesion in the corpus callosum in your MRI.

Have they performed an MRI on you?

Check out this link for MS symptoms you may have.

Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/mssymptoms.html

Allan

I had a blood test to have my DNA tested for Myotonic Dystrophy.. the results should come any day now, I only just had the blood drawn yesterday, per a doctors request from a neurologist at the VA..

Here's a couple things I found out about diagnosing MS.

They look for certain bands in the spinal fluid sample. But 20% of all MS patients show normal spinal fluid samples.

They also look for scatered lesions in the white matter with at least one lesion in the corpus callosum in your MRI.

Have they performed an MRI on you?

Check out this link for MS symptoms you may have.

Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

http://www.mult-scle...mssymptoms.html

Allan

many years ago they did MRI on my brain. I have had amny MRI on m y spine.. but just a couple days ago they took blood to do a DNA test for Myotonic Dystrophy... results are not yet back..