• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    kenvan19

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Oh, no, it is not a waste of time!!!  I started with a 10% rating in 1973 for "Nervous Condition" and now I have TDIU and Housebound.  All claims together bring me $3500 a month tax free.  You may be young now, but if PTSD gets worse it could totally disable you and can cause other secondary conditions.   FILE THE CLAIM!  If you get 10% or 30% that gets your foot in the door and never let them get that foot out of the door by neglecting to respond to C&P exams or ignoring to file NOD or other appeals.
    • I would think BVA would remand back to VARO because they are the ones that made the bad decision.  I could be wrong on this.  I also think you could go to Vet Court on this but then you probably should hire lawyer who will get some of your retro if you get any on remanded issues.  You don't want your TDIU claim to languish some place in VA system.  Did you submit evidence that you could not work solely due to SC conditions?  I have heard that AMC is a black hole where claims go to remain in limbo for years. I have never had a claim at AMC.  These are all diversions dreamed up by the VA to stall your claim. What rating did you get?
    • Send NOD by express mail with return receipt.  If you do not file NOD you will lose your EED and have to start from scratch.  If you let NOD deadline pass you are lost.  You must be willing to play by VA deadlines and get your own medical evidence. How much time do you have left to file NOD? If you have to file generic NOD to meet deadline then do it. If the only evidence you have is VA evidence expect to be low balled or denied about 80% of the time.  You need to develop your claims on appeal. This will take time but you have lost years already by not appealing via NOD.  Not scolding you but stating facts. I failed to file a NOD and it cost me tens of thousands of dollars over 25 years.                  John
    • This makes me wish I knew the importance of EED's. I'm pondering CUE's for a few things myself.
    • I heard great things about Ellis Clinic from Federal Worker's Compensation people.   The thing is you have to go to them which means getting all your records and going to Oklahoma City.  If I wanted an opinion from Ellis Clinic would I have to pack up all my SMR's,  VA and private medical records to see them?  I never used them because I had very good doctors I had been seeing here in Tampa and they referred me to other doctors for friendly IME.  This was because I was in treatment for MH stuff for years by private doctor.  I am being treated for DMII and OSA by the VA and by private doctor.  However, none of them will go out on a limb and say the DMII or MH issues was secondary cause of OSA.  This is what I need for my OSA potential claim.   I also have High Blood but VA will not opine that it is cause or effect of DMII or CAD due to AO.   I have not worried about it because I have TDIU and HB.  I would like to get the High Blood and the OSA SC'ed but am not willing to pay $5000.  I would fly out to Ellis Clinic I think.  I first heard of Ellis Clinic from OWCP claimant who got what they call Schedule Award (cash) for injuries to his hands and feet.  Much more than I got because my doctor would not stick his neck out one inch but did say some injuries I have were work-related when I worked for USPS.  This did create problems for me later with conflicts between VA and OWCP.   That would fill a book. When you get benefits from various programs it always has potential for problems as causes get intertwined and programs point finger at other programs to pay for the damage.  The thing is most of us need at least SSD and VA to pay 100% to actually survive.  $3000 a month from VA is not enough to support a family where I live.  $5000 will do it if you have no debts.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billy2

Vet Center And Gaf

8 posts in this topic

I have posted in the past that I don't like going to the Vet Center and want to pack it in but I was advised

not to do that because I have a claim pending for an increase for my PTSD. My question today concerns

a GAF score. Does the psychogolist at the Vet center give a GAF score for our meetings? Who gives one?

Does the NP that I see for meds assign one? I know the Doctor that did the C&P gave me one. I don't want

to walk into the Vet Center and say everything is great because I don't want to be there and then get a GAF of 90.

Bill

The percentage level of disability granted for mental health

disability involves many factors other than GAF scores.

A GAF score can change from day to day - week to week.

When you go to the Vet Center or any medical provider I always

suggest to present yourself as the way you really are.

If you have a claim in requesting an increase and you have some updated

medical evidence you might want to submit copies of it to your VARO.

Also, the VARO will most likely send you for another C&P exam in response

to your request for increase.

Your VARO has no clue you are receiving any treatment unless you tell them so.

The VAMC's and the Vet Centers do not just automatically send your treatment records to the VARO,

unless the claimant submits copies of them or clearly points out to the VARO that treatment records

from XX/XX/XXXX thru XX/XX/XXXX should be used in the adjudication of your claim issues.

In most cases a GAF is not assigned at every meeting you have with a mental health provider.

jmho

Billy, The Vets centers are there to help vets with their problems not try and screw with you through the VA. They as carlie said are total separate and their computers are not hooked up to VA's. The only way someone can get your records from what you say there is by you giving them permission. Don't believe ask your counselor next time you go.

When I filed I asked my counselor who had seen me for over 6 months every two weeks if she would write a letter in support. She did and I believe that is what helped me get my rating that I did.

As far as gaf goes never heard my counselor state whether she did that or not. Again ask the next time you go they truly are their to help you. Hope you get to feeling better about your treatments and opening up!

I have just lost my counselor for the past year and really need to get in and see the new one but I am kind of balking just like you are. I know I need the help and I will do it I just have to convince my mind!

Billy,

If I had a claim in for increase in compensation for PTSD I would surely

be getting treatment. I would also ask my mental health providers at the Vet Center,to write me

a brief letter of support OR if the provider is at the VAMC, I would ask them to enter current findings

to include GAF scores into my progress notes.

If they have the right pedigree / authority, there should be no problem doing this.

Ask yourself this.

If you were a decision maker at the VBA and someone requests an increase, wouldn't it be

an important issue to consider in the claim - well has this vet continued to receive care, treatment,

medications for this disability ?

What does the evidence of record show in regards to support that this vets disability has become worse ?

Billy,

I go to the vet center every week and look so forword to it as do the other vets in the group, we are a close knit group including our psychologist. Everything is highly confidential, what is said in the group stays in the group and the information as the others has stated is not linked to the VA, it can only help you in the long run.

SR

My regional va prefers to look at GAF's as they use these when making their determinations...when My 3 psychologists left over a period of 6 mths( pain one, ptsd gp one, and regular counseling one) the new one did not use Axis scale. I requested she use it once a month especially as I had an increase in...one was granted from 30 to 50 and had a NOD in when the VA settled with me for 100% PT no future exams...So it is a component in determining your mental health % as noted in your grant award letters it states such and such rating warrents X amt and you did or did not meet the say 41-50 range so you will stay at the level you were previously granted. These are just examples used but were on all of my decision letters. I averaged 40 for 3 yrs and stayed at 50%. Was 27-50 in the beginning 3 1/2 yrs. Many components are used in the determination as stated but the higher the score I have seen the lower the % granting. JMHO. Go to the appts. Group therapy just says you attended, the topic, and if you were an active participant, and if you had other stressful problems to add. No Axis used here, only in personal counseling sessions.