VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Letter

Rate this question

ATVer

Question

Here is a letter i got from my doctor to send to the VARO.

My name is -------------- Ph. D. and i'm a psychological resident at the Harry S truman memorial veterans hospital. As a member of PTSD clinical team, i have acted as the primary provider for mental health services for (my name) under the supervision of Dr. --------- Licensed psychologist in the state of MO. This veteran has attended eleven psycholtherapy sessions, from dec 2009 to present day, in order to asses trauma related anxiety symptoms and their impact on his daily functioning.

At the time of initial assesment, (my name) reported significant change in his emotional and behavioral funcitioning from his pre-deployment history. He indentifies his index trauma as being exposed to an IED during his deployment to iraq from april to november 2005. At the time of initial assesment, (my name) identified symptoms consistant with DSM IV-TR reexperiencing, arousal, and avoidance diagnostic criteria for PTSD. A nexus was established between his anxiety symptoms and his combat index trauma.

(my name) trauma related anxiety symptoms have been found to interfere with this veteran's cognitive, socail, family, mood, school, and work functioning. Specifically, the veteran reported attempting to attend classes at a local junior college after returning from deployment, but withdrew due to poor concentration and overwhelming anxiety related to his sense of vulnerability in public places. At this time he reports symptoms of panic and agoraphobia that interferes with his ability to interact socially or within a work setting. He also reports low self-image and little interset in formally pleasurable activities. He also reports little if any social contact due to overwhelming hypervigilance and fear of panic in public places. Across treatment sessions the veteran has worked to improve his ability to cope with these symptoms, but struggles to maintain the gains he achieves.

Given his symptom presentaion, I have diagnosed (my name) with PTSD based on his combat trauma. This trauma occured in 2005 during his deployment to irag as a memeber of the US Marine corps. Furthermore, the arousal and avoidance symptoms this veteran presents with having significant negative consequences on his social, family, school, work, mood, and cognitive functioning.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Won't my VA records be fine for that? I'll have other VA records attached with GAF score and a med list with side effects.

Well being this guy is writing you an IMO - a current GAF score would be good.

BTW - is his supervising psychologist also going to sign off on this for you.

The doc needs to write of your medication side effects and that they are from you drugs.

Just coming from you or internet print outs won't help - it has to be specific to you and your medical evidence.

Well being this guy is writing you an IMO - a current GAF score would be good.

BTW - is his supervising psychologist also going to sign off on this for you.

The doc needs to write of your medication side effects and that they are from you drugs.

Just coming from you or internet print outs won't help - it has to be specific to you and your medical evidence.

Yes, both names are signed at the end. Ok, well i'll mention the meds next appointment. Thanks!

Would this letter be good to send to Social Security as well?

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use