VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ihd Regs

Rate this question

e4766

Question

My understanding of the New IHD regulations is that anything that reduces the oxygen rate or flow to the heart is IHD. This means clinically significant ischemia or requiring cornonary revasculeration. E has been taking medicine for triglyrides and cholesterol is this going to been allowed as a factor? Certainly fatty buildup and plaque do not allow the correct blood flow, hence less oxygen, right? He has sc hypertensive heart but this is different. He has LVH which was caused by not enough blood flow due to afib. Am I swinging from the wrong limb? Just wondering

Carolyn

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

This hadit discussion

and other info in our Agent Orange forum will show you exactly what the VA needs for these claims.

"E has been taking medicine for triglyrides and cholesterol is this going to been allowed as a factor?"

The med could be a preventive med or a treatment med but the diagnosis of IHD is what VA needs.

Also any ECHO report results and any evidence of the other criteria in the regs.

I believe they will focus a lot on the Ejection Fraction and if there is no EJ findings in the clinical record I would assume they would order an ECHO to be done.

I cant determine if "E" has IHD or not based on this post - but his medical records would reveal if he does.

I used the IHD criteria posted in the AO form and pulled out and copied about 7 specific records that state my husband had ischemic heart disease, I also sent them his death certificate and autopsy, ECHO, and a few other things.

Coronary atherosclerosis for example could definitely be the same thing as IHD but I think VA is specifically seeking the word Ischemia in the medical records for these claims filed under the new AO regs.

Berta, E has an ejection fraction rate of 45 which they gave him a rating of 60%(on his heart), however he also has concentric LVH, but the VA calls it hypertensive heart. They also diagnosed him with an enlarged heart. With this in mind we could not get them to give a rating for hypertension even though they agreed his AO DMII aggravated his blood pressure causing an increase of 4 different bp meds. At this point I can't recall any mention of ischemic heart disease but LVH is a heart that has had to work harder to get enough oxygen rich blood in order to work properly, thereby causing damage. Thanks for your interest ,just trying to take care of my hubby.

Carolyn