VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Malpractice?

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Last time I went to the VA pain clinic they told me that the narcotics they were giving me might kill me because I take clonazepam, but they gave me the narcotics anyway. Is this malpractice?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Last time I went to the VA pain clinic they told me that the narcotics they were giving me might kill me because I take clonazepam, but they gave me the narcotics anyway. Is this malpractice?

Informed consent is a phrase often used in the law to indicate that the consent a person gives meets certain minimum standards. As a literal matter, in the absence of fraud, it is redundant. An informed consent can be said to have been given based upon a clear appreciation and understanding of the facts, implications, and future consequences of an action.

In order to give informed consent, the individual concerned must have adequate reasoning faculties and be in possession of all relevant facts at the time consent is given. Impairments to reasoning and judgment which may make it impossible for someone to give informed consent include such factors as basic intellectual or emotional immaturity, high levels of stress such as PTSD or as severe mental retardation, severe mental illness, intoxication, severe sleep deprivation, Alzheimer's disease, or being in a coma. This term was first used in a 1957 medical malpractice case by Paul G. Gebhard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informed_consent

• HadIt.com Elder

John I promise you they documented it in your records that they have notified you of this and yet you keep calling in for the refills of the narcotics every month just the same as I do great the clonazepam lets us sleep at night but without the percocets our days would be filled with pain and I don't know about you but me without the percs I would be suicidal from the pain I have been on this combination since Sep 2002 and I sure am not complaining I would be in trouble if they cut off either med really between the nightmares and the back pain I can't ignore either issue so I take a reasonable dose of each I don't ever double up on anything and keep the menu if anything I will cut back on the percs if I am having a better than usual day but that means maybe 3 instead of 5 percs I can't remember the last time I had a pain free day I think it was back in 1999 but I couldn't make a bet on that

wasn't you complaining last month because they didn't refill your pain med?

"Last time I went to the VA pain clinic they told me that the narcotics they were giving me might kill me because I take clonazepam, but they gave me the narcotics anyway. Is this malpractice?"

It might be if the the meds are contraindicated and certain combos can cause death.

Has the combo caused you additional disability or any other problems?

Personal example

When I FTCAed the VA one of my charges was that my husband's 4 times day sudafed (maybe it was 6 times a day) forget - prescription was contraindicated by his HBP meds which were at the lowest possible dose yet ,even after having a stroke, nether the low dosage for HBP meds or the high dosage for sudafed was changed by the VA.

This was pre-internet as we know it so I was just guessing on this specific point and offered limited medical side affect info on it at first- and had FOIAed the Feds for some info on deaths and sudafed.

The FOIA request was honored but it took years for the info to arrive and my claim was already resolved by then.

I had found a exam of his sinuses in the med recs.They were clear-no sinus problems at all.

The VACO docs agreed (after many many denials) with all of my FTCA charges but one-(improper treatment of his PTSD)

and stated in their review that the sudafed , for no apparent reason (the X Ray of clear sinuses)had compromised his HBP meds, which were at the wrong dosage anyhow and was instrumnental in contributing to his death.

This was only a small part of my FTCA case but a big part in his demise when one considers he died due to "multiple deviations" from standard VA health Care.( source FTCA medical review and 1151 award.)

If I were you I would aggressively search the meds you take and see, if in fact, they could cause your death by compromising your medical situation.

I dont suppose the docs wrote that down in your meds recs -did they?

You have no idea how angry I have been since I got my recent award for direct SC death and over the new IHD regs.

If only we had the internet when Rod was alive, and had not been impressed by those medical diplomas on the walls of the VA docs offices-

he would be alive today.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the VA's solution to my problem will be to cut off the fentanyl because the fentanyl is not in the formulary. A new doctor who did not understand the cheapness of the VA prescribed the fentanyl for the chronic pain. He got fired recently. He was trying to do his job, but ran afoul of the VA's obsession with cost, so they canned him. The other old time VA pain doctors think anti-depressants and neurontin will cure any pain problems. They don't even believe in narcotics. Why are they even running a pain clinic? I don't hurt because I am depressed. I am depressed because I hurt. It is like going to doctors for treatment of PTSD who don't believe it is a problem. My pain is all in my head according to their philosophy.

I don't think it helps the issue that the TV is filled with commercials that claim that physical pain is a symptom of depression. I did have a VA PCP (phys. asst.) tell me that if I could just get over my emotional problems that my aches and pains would clear up. Yep, that danged depression makes me think I have plantar fasciitis, neuromas, RSD and chondromalacia patella and osteopenia and arthritis and a halux vulgus, etc. etc.. Yep, the x-rays & mri's must be affected by my depression, too.

:wacko:

i have just been prescribed Clonazepam, to help stop thejerking and trembling, shakiness, and take it at bedtime.. it seems very strong but has been immensely helpful in getting rest, but it seems to be very strong and sedates me more than I want.. I just want soemthing ot help keep control of my body when I am going out or resting to keep from having involuntary body movements..

my neurologist says he is getting me a special blood test to test for myotonic dystrophy...

I have myoclonic seizures..