• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Robi Akerley-McKee

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Buck, Hope the biopsy comes back clean, And good luck if you have the surgery.  Don't put that off (like my Dad), it don't get better with age. Hamslice    
    • I don't think civilians understand VA disability.  They lump it in with SSDI and Insurance disabilities.  Not the same. The VA comp is the difference between when you signed up and when you left service.  They bought you at 100%.  You either retire (or leave) at 100% or they pay the difference. A total guess, but your 40% could be from limited Range of Motion, or even required bed rest. How riding a bike or playing volleyball a investigator could determine your ROM, etc., would be a good read. I would imagine your disability(s) are static, which means permanent (almost, I know, but I say permanent) I wonder how many phone calls the VA gets from civilians questioning a Veteran's compensation? I would not worry, Hamslice    
    • Glad she is your X. Sounds like a WJ1..Whack Job first class. The VA is not stalking you.   J
    • Buck, My prayers are sent your way and wish you the best!!  Thomas
    • I call bs also.  We used to regularly get hadit newbies trying to get information on how to game the system.  They quickly learned no such information was available here; and left just as quickly. It cannot be stressed enough that veterans be completely honest with their claims! It is perfectly legitimate to describe your average, or even your worse day, as opposed to your best day when discussing your condition; but it isn't alright to make up or grossly exaggerate your condition(s).  Once awarded, everyone should read the award letter very carefully!  Cross reference your awarded rating with the rating schedule in order to clearly understand exactly what you were awarded and why.  The degree of occupational and social impairment is critical!  We are not being compensated for our diminished quality of life.  We are being compensated for our diminished capacity to gain and maintain employment at the national poverty level or above. If you are in better medical and/or mental condition than your rating, the VA will get around the discovering that information through regular medical exams and C&P exams.  Until a vet has his/her rating continuously for 20 years, no rating is permanent and total. This is especially true with TDIU and total ratings for mental health. In many cases, it does not matter if you are being paid for what you are doing-the fact that you are capable of doing what you are doing matters. History repeats itself. Several years after the end of our involvement in Vietnam, the American taxpayers became aware of the huge cost of treating and compensating damaged veterans.  They didn't want to pay the bill, so they didn't.  As a consequence, veterans suffered and died alone and silent.  It is estimated that the cost of Iraq/Afghanistan veterans will exceed 5 trillion dollars over their lifetimes.  The taxpayers will not want to pay that bill either; and they won't.  So, once again, veterans will suffer and die, but hopefully not alone and with the internet-not silent.  If the newer generations of vets make enough noise, maybe those taxpayers can be shamed into honoring their obligations,  I wouldn't bet the farm on it.  

pete992

Senate Approves Cola Increase For Disabled Vets

35 posts in this topic

We all know that saying something and doing something are two different things. I could not find the full article even if there is a full article, there may not be a full article and for this to happen will be a miracle but never the less, I will pass it on. If someone can find more information or the full story please post it. I found this on WWW.Veteranstoday.com, it was under the Top 10 Veterans Stories in Today's News and the date is supposed to be 9/23/2010.

Senate Approves COLA Increase For Disabled Vets. CQ (9/23, Lesniewski) reports, "By voice vote, the Senate on Wednesday cleared a bill that would provide" a cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for disabled veterans. After noting that the bill "would increase the amounts paid to veterans for disability compensation and to their survivors for dependency and indemnity compensation," CQ adds, "The Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that it will provide disability compensation to just over 3 million veterans with service-connected disabilities in the current fiscal year."

That's nice but I think they have to approve it every yr and then it's tied to the consumer price index(or some other fool thing) and if there is no inflation we don't get it. Needless to say they'll tell us there's no inflation, again, this yr. I'm happy w/what I get right now. As long as I don't get foolish I survive quite comfortably.

pr

You know they exclude the price of food and energy from the CPI. They do factor in the price of cell phones, computers, cars and houses. I don't need a cell phone but I need to eat and food prices are going up. I don't think we will get a cola. This really hurts those on SSA, VA, SSI and government pensions.

It was my impression any discussion concerning COLA's on this board has been strictly forbidden.

If it's open again, Veterans COLA's are based on Social Security increases which are frozen. Its obvious Alan Simson's views on having Veterans pay for our economic problems will likely continue until we end these wars.

The linked article is a blog/journal that you have to pay for. *shrug*

cq.com