VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Senate Approves Cola Increase For Disabled Vets

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

We all know that saying something and doing something are two different things. I could not find the full article even if there is a full article, there may not be a full article and for this to happen will be a miracle but never the less, I will pass it on. If someone can find more information or the full story please post it. I found this on WWW.Veteranstoday.com, it was under the Top 10 Veterans Stories in Today's News and the date is supposed to be 9/23/2010.

Senate Approves COLA Increase For Disabled Vets. CQ (9/23, Lesniewski) reports, "By voice vote, the Senate on Wednesday cleared a bill that would provide" a cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for disabled veterans. After noting that the bill "would increase the amounts paid to veterans for disability compensation and to their survivors for dependency and indemnity compensation," CQ adds, "The Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that it will provide disability compensation to just over 3 million veterans with service-connected disabilities in the current fiscal year."

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It was my impression any discussion concerning COLA's on this board has been strictly forbidden.

If it's open again, Veterans COLA's are based on Social Security increases which are frozen. Its obvious Alan Simson's views on having Veterans pay for our economic problems will likely continue until we end these wars.

Allan,

Discussing the COLA is in no way a strictly forbidden subject here.

What is not appreciated at all is when certain members start posting

their continuous beef's with no COLA for disabled vets and the VA is ripping off disabled vets

we need and deserve the money, another way the VA keeps vets in foreclosure, blah, blah, blah,

just continuance of dribble bashing the VA.

COLA goes strictly by the CPI - VA has no say in whether disabled vets or SSA recipients

receive a COLA or not.

When the CPI hasn't risen there will simply be no COLA.

• HadIt.com Elder

This is routine in the Senate, it has to be voted on every year.........the Senate has given their blessing to a COLA, but the COLA is tied to the CPI and the CPI is still in negative territory.

No positive CPI = No COLA, and the politicians get a pass because they did as required but the CPI stopped it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry Carlie,

I thought I remembered reading that there was not to be any discussion of COLA's.

If thats not so, than Im mistaken. Not looking for an argument with you.

If my reply was considered "continuance of dribble bashing the VA by you, that wasn't my intent.

It really doesn't matter. Theres not likely to be any COLA. The CPI are figures the bean counters like Simpson play with all day long to their advantage. You can bet it's not to our benefit.

My personal opinion is Veterans should recieve an automatic anual increase in their benefit amount regardless of the CPI. Just my opinion and I know the VA can't do anything about it.

"If you put your military personel in harms way, than when they become injuried you need to pay."

• HadIt.com Elder

When COLA is news it should be discussed. However the routine linking of VA Cola to Social Security COLA is hardly news.

I know my mind is not right, however, I emailed the BLS last year to find out what products are considers with the CPI for COLA and there were only food products on the information they emailed me.......no kind of electronics or anything else anyone would consider not truly essential.

There are multile CPI formulas.

You know they exclude the price of food and energy from the CPI. They do factor in the price of cell phones, computers, cars and houses. I don't need a cell phone but I need to eat and food prices are going up. I don't think we will get a cola. This really hurts those on SSA, VA, SSI and government pensions.

Edited by yelloownumber5