VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Senate Approves Cola Increase For Disabled Vets

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

We all know that saying something and doing something are two different things. I could not find the full article even if there is a full article, there may not be a full article and for this to happen will be a miracle but never the less, I will pass it on. If someone can find more information or the full story please post it. I found this on WWW.Veteranstoday.com, it was under the Top 10 Veterans Stories in Today's News and the date is supposed to be 9/23/2010.

Senate Approves COLA Increase For Disabled Vets. CQ (9/23, Lesniewski) reports, "By voice vote, the Senate on Wednesday cleared a bill that would provide" a cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for disabled veterans. After noting that the bill "would increase the amounts paid to veterans for disability compensation and to their survivors for dependency and indemnity compensation," CQ adds, "The Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that it will provide disability compensation to just over 3 million veterans with service-connected disabilities in the current fiscal year."

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know, John, $2k+, a month, ain't that bad, especially if the mortgage is paid off. That's figuring $1400 for DIC and another $750 in SS. jmo

pr

Consider a spouse trying to live on just SSA and DIC. It is not that much. With lack of pensions these days people will be going into retirement with small money.

• HadIt.com Elder

"Don't cha feel we get enough?????????? I have plenty. Could I spend more - sure! We have shelter, food, water, a vehicle, family, friends, Hadit, etc. What more do we need??? Some of you are sounding to me like some of these CEO's wanting more and more. "

Philip,

For some reason I'm getting the impression vets are getting far more than we should according to you. If it were up to you, how much should 100% veterans monthly benefit amount be rolled back to? Say maybe $500 pr month maximum? Or maybe cut out SSDI and VA benefits? Or stop VA, SSDI and military retirement?

How much of your benefits would you be willing to give up since you live so high off the hog?

The reason some vets ask for COLA increases is they don't receive what you get. And maybe the cost of that hot water tank, food, car repairs and the cost of paying for school supplies for their children while being disabled, just pushed them over the edge. The majority of disabled vets are not 100%. Many are struggling.

Shouldn’t it matter to those who have, that there are those who don’t? Is it all about I got mine, so you shouldn’t be concerned about getting more for your family?

Gas is such a small part of what we consume. I can see every day items in the stores increase almost weekly. The cost of food, medicine, home repairs, etc all increase and none of it is counted.

Many, many of our disabled veterans, disabled and senior citizens need and look to that $20 monthly COLA to get them another few meals when they get a blow out and have to spend $75 bucks for a new tire they really can't afford.

A few bucks for those in our society that have earned it and need it the most shouldn't be made to feel like they don't deserve the right to ask for it.

Vets that are completely disabled fight for yrs just to receive 30%. Then spend yrs more at CAVC fighting to get TDIU or their 100%.

Yes you may be very well off, that doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Sounding like CEO's wanting more and more?

Oh please. How can you compare the poverty level of the majority of disabled veterans to CEO’s that get multimillion dollar bonuses for ruining corporations?

We use the VA for health care. How many of those CEO’s do you think would use VA for their health care?

Whether we get COLA’s or not and whether some think we deserve it or not, many are financially in need of it during these tough economic times we are having.

If your 100%, get SSDI, Military retirement, own everything, invested in gold, have a couple of extra pensions, children are grown up or you don't have any and everything is perfect in your life than yes I guess YOU wouldn't need the COLA.

If you just got back from Iraq, are 100%, lost your home and your wife/husband left you with 4 kids to raise while you were gone. Than maybe you might not be as well off.

My point is simply because you can live one way, doesn't mean everyones life is the same.

Is this discussion at all related to HR 4667 that passed the Senate and House Unanimously this week and is waiting for POTUS signature? From what I understand it is not a COLA but a SC rate table increase...a significant one at that

• HadIt.com Elder

Again, This discussion is the same old discussion for a COLA. Not a Rate increase.

Colas are tied in with Social Security each and every year and is based on the CPI which by the way is in the tank.

We will get absolutely zero. Zilch, Zippo. NAGDT.

J