VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo Before Or After Nod

Rate this question

cooter

Question

I'm thinking about borrowing some cash to hire an IMO/IME Dr' for my upcomeing claim for back and neck injuries caused by my gait from SC knee. My question would be, since it is alot of money for one, would it be better to wait if the claim is denied, or get one off the bat. The reason I ask this, is I been reading alot of BVA claims and some were denied due to the IMO Dr didn't exam the Vet to dispute the C&P findings.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Have you tried to ask your doctor to put a note in your progress reports? VA doctors do not like writing statements, IMOs, or letters but some of them will put something in your treatment records that may help your claim.

I'm actually seeing a civilian ortho for this. I should try and get an appt. with the ortho surgeon that did the TKR on me at VA. He seemed to be a level headed guy. Sounds good Pete, I think I'll just do that. Thanks!

"The reason I ask this, is I been reading alot of BVA claims and some were denied due to the IMO Dr didn't exam the Vet to dispute the C&P findings."

Yes, in many cases that is the reason for denial.

Still an IMO has to be thought of as an investment.

The results of any C & P will give you a good leg up on what to expect and often the results will support a denial.If you fully believe that a strong IMO will help you succeed, it is worth the cost and the fee is easily absorbed by SC comp checks that might never come without the IMO.

You raised a good point as to when to get one. I was able to give my IMO doc the results of 2 C & Ps -which he could easily knock down with the results as compared to the actual clinical record.

At first I thought my evidence in 2003 re-open was so solid it would stand on its own (it did for my past claims that were awarded in late 1990s.)

When I reopened however -in 2003-I found that VA was not even reading my evidence, passing it off by saying I was not competent to opine medically on the claim.(Even though I was competent enough in the past claims.)

I never regret the IMO fees I paid and had ordered anther one when I suddenly got my award in the mail.

As long as the IMO doctor fulfills the IMO criteria here in the IMO forum, and is able to give you a current exam for the claimed conditions, then the IMO might be worth its weight in gold.It certainly makes sense that an abnormal gait can cause additional postural problems.

PS-I developed that IMO criteria I posted at hadit from the 2 IMOs I got because my IMO doctor used to work for VA and he knew exactly what bases to cover.

Edited by Berta

"The reason I ask this, is I been reading alot of BVA claims and some were denied due to the IMO Dr didn't exam the Vet to dispute the C&P findings."

Yes, in many cases that is the reason for denial.

Still an IMO has to be thought of as an investment.

The results of any C & P will give you a good leg up on what to expect and often the results will support a denial.If you fully believe that a strong IMO will help you succeed, it is worth the cost and the fee is easily absorbed by SC comp checks that might never come without the IMO.

You raised a good point as to when to get one. I was able to give my IMO doc the results of 2 C & Ps -which he could easily knock down with the results as compared to the actual clinical record.

At first I thought my evidence in 2003 re-open was so solid it would stand on its own (it did for my past claims that were awarded in late 1990s.)

When I reopened however -in 2003-I found that VA was not even reading my evidence, passing it off by saying I was not competent to opine medically on the claim.(Even though I was competent enough in the past claims.)

I never regret the IMO fees I paid and had ordered anther one when I suddenly got my award in the mail.

As long as the IMO doctor fulfills the IMO criteria here in the IMO forum, and is able to give you a current exam for the claimed conditions, then the IMO might be worth its weight in gold.It certainly makes sense that an abnormal gait can cause additional postural problems.

PS-I developed that IMO criteria I posted at hadit from the 2 IMOs I got because my IMO doctor used to work for VA and he knew exactly what bases to cover.

Thanks for the info Berta,

I searched the topics in the IMO Forem and somehow I must of over looked the post you wrote for IMO criteria. Could you lead me to that topic please.

Also, I'm reading the above as saying, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is saying wait till I get the C&P results, then submit the IMO?

PS I really enjoy reading the articles you post! You truly are a great source of info helping us vets!!!

“please correct me if I'm wrong, is saying wait till I get the C&P results, then submit the IMO? “

Yes-I think that would be best to do here.

If they have significant medical info -the C & P results could possibly award the claim.

Since you are considering IMO from your private doc, it would not take as long to get an IMO (I hope) as it might -if you had to find an IMO doctor on the net-send them all of your stuff and then perhaps have to get an IME from them , as well as IMO based on their in person examination.

(link to the IMO criteria)

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use