VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unrelated Stroke After Disability Rating/helpless

Rate this question

sammy104

Question

My husband has had a 20% disability rating for his left arm and hand for over 10 years. Last year he had a huge stroke and almost died. He is age 72 and has been retired for many years. The stroke was at home, not service related. I care for him at home. He cannot speak, his whole right side of body is paralysed. After his stroke tho, his left arm/hand has gotten so bad, he can hardly even lift a spoon to eat meals. He cannot survive without help, period. He is totally helpless. Next week, , we go in for his first rating of his left arm/hand, AFTER his stroke suffered in april 2009. This is NOT the side that was paralysed, by the stroke. How tho, do they calculate a rating now, that he is totally helpless, cannot walk speak etc...but this stroke was not service realted? Stressed here to say the least. Thanks for your help

• Answers 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Berta...Phillip...Etihwr....You guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Yes...i used the word severed for his left arm/hand.......i see now the confusion....... the SC disability cut so deep into his forearm that it cut apart many nerves and muscles etc....I will write more after I give hubby meds :)

What a wonderful website this is!! So goood to talk to somebody over all this :)

me too- maybe the veteran's nerves were severed and he still has the arm and hand but loss of use of????

"You stated he was a military retiree?" yes- that indicates retiree pay ----

If he gets retiree pay then his SC would have to significantly increase (or be CRDP or CRSC eligible) for any additional award from VA to really be a monetary benefit.

Phillip...correct...NO medical retirement...just regular retired after 30 years Nat Grd.

He is 72 and also gets social security retirement in addition to his non medical military retiement. ..and of course he also gets his VA compensation each month. :)

Thinking out loud here...I wonder if the VA should have been watching hiim for years..knowing that he had severed nerves and muscles ...damaged arteries possibly...tons of stitching and 3 months in hospital before he was released.....the accident to the arm...all made for terrible blood flow etc...anyways Berta..this is all your fault due to your WONDERFUL PAGE>>>>INTERNET MEDICAL RESEARCH PRINTOUTS!! I am searching internet more so than ever now....i can see MEDICALLY.how everything could POSSIBLY be related now....to afib heart condition....leading to stroke years later, long after his original SC left arm injury.....very easy to connect the dots...Berta....Im doing my homework now for sure...need to stock up on printer ink!! I feel a wave coming on of internet medical reasearch printouts!! Thank you Berta!

"in addition to his non medical military retiement. ..and of course he also gets his VA compensation each month. " and is his check from Military retirement reduced by the amount he gets from VA?