VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cancel Disability Compensation

Rate this question

Signal6

Question

is it possible to cancel my disability compensation for certain conditions? And if so, would it be possible to request it again later in life? I know this will generate a lot of question as to why I would want to do this, etc, and I appreciate everyones concerns, but there is a personal reason why I am considering this and do not want to disclose it.

Thanks

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

is it possible to cancel my disability compensation for certain conditions? And if so, would it be possible to request it again later in life? I know this will generate a lot of question as to why I would want to do this, etc, and I appreciate everyones concerns, but there is a personal reason why I am considering this and do not want to disclose it.

Thanks

Maybe you could privately contact one of the Hadit.com Elders that you feel that you could trust, Tell them the the reason. You never know, they may give you info. that you don't have too give up your compensation for whats going on.

David

I would think that once it is filed for, the cat is out of the bag. If its got something to do with employment, or fighting with your insurance company, I dont' think they have any right to, or access to VA medical records.

I dont know any reason why you could not do as you suggested...or even re apply after you "cancelled" it.

Of course, as was pointed out, just because you can do something, doesnt necessarily mean you want to run out and do it.

However, I am going to assume you have a compelling reason....I will take a wild guess and say you think you may get a certain job, but dont want your potential employer to know, and further feel you would not be eligible for benefits if you got this job.

Everything at the Va is always a risk. If you apply for more benefits, you take the chance that someone looks at your file and says, "Gee, this guy doesnt deserve more, he already has more than he deserves and we will do a reduction".

Of course, you dont need to tell the reason. But, the more clearly you explain your situation, the better the advice you get will be. That is, if you give a "generic" question, you are apt to get a "generic" answer.

But, if I was to write the RO and say "yada yada, I want this and that disability compensation cancelled....." and then later reapplied, I could see that request as the first reason for a new denial. It also might call into question any other thing you might be rated for, especially residuals. A potential employer (for one example) has does not any more access than what I give them to my health records or anything else, unless they are a federal agency and then they can get them anyway. Courts can get them, I suppose, with the right horsepower, but if it was something like that cancelling disability comp for the condition isn't going to erase it from your treatment records.

If its finanicial, your comp isn't 'income' unless you want it to be, unless you are applying for some form of federal benefits (like food stamps) or you are subject to child support (your disability may be protected from 'attachment' but once it hits your bank account it's jut money, and will be used by the court to set an amount)

I dont know any reason why you could not do as you suggested...or even re apply after you "cancelled" it.

Of course, as was pointed out, just because you can do something, doesnt necessarily mean you want to run out and do it.

However, I am going to assume you have a compelling reason....I will take a wild guess and say you think you may get a certain job, but dont want your potential employer to know, and further feel you would not be eligible for benefits if you got this job.

Everything at the Va is always a risk. If you apply for more benefits, you take the chance that someone looks at your file and says, "Gee, this guy doesnt deserve more, he already has more than he deserves and we will do a reduction".

Of course, you dont need to tell the reason. But, the more clearly you explain your situation, the better the advice you get will be. That is, if you give a "generic" question, you are apt to get a "generic" answer.

Whatever decision you make is entirely up to you! I'm sure you have thought it out and came to this conclusion. I do agree with the others you may be able to do it, however; trying to get it back may prove difficult. I would also consider that the VA could possibly claim fraud for the time you did receive benefits and try to get that money back.