VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vet Rep Is Gone

Rate this question

slangpdx

Question

I just called the Oregon vet affairs office after not hearing from my rep for several months. I have had a request for reconsideration pending since August with an IMO, new evidence including two determinations of disability by different state agencies and a psyche test done by one of them which was what the IMO doc (themselves a former VA examiner) used as the basis of their opinion on top of my active duty records, which had substantial helpful info.

I just learned my rep is gone, my case has been reassigned to someone else "based on the last 2 of my ssn" (in other words randomly) and it will take them over a week just to request my file. I was told that the VA regional office would notifty me independently of them of a hearing date, so that if I have received nothing in the mail that I have not missed a hearing. I hope that is the case.

So how crucial is having a competent or knowledgeable rep at the hearing? Do I need to hire a lawyer (who may or may not know anything)? Ask my IMO doctor to appear? Ask someone else, counselor etc. who knows me appear? This has been on appeal since April after a February C&P and denial, changed to reconsideration in August. Needless to say like every other vet I have a lot riding on this.

Just need to know how crucial the rep is and I really don't have time to look for another one. I have been working under the VA compensated work therapy program for the past six months, I go off that status onto W-2 employee next week.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you everyone for the replies, they are most helpful.

I just got a call from someone in the state office. They said that the VA regional office has admitted to dropping the ball on this and it should be expedited as a fast track case under CVET, where my IMO and other info will be considered new evidence for an immediate rating redetermination without waiting for a reconsideration hearing, which they said could still take another year. They expect the redertimination to take a month or two and that I would still be able to appeal that decision. I should have been keeping close track of this, it has sat with no action for the past four months.

If someone could tell me whether this sounds right before I agree to it I would appreciate it.

I am taking them letters of disability determination from two state agencies and the copy of the report that the IMO was based on just to make sure all the bases are covered for the redetermination.

They expect the redertimination to take a month or two and that I would still be able to appeal that decision.

If someone could tell me whether this sounds right before I agree to it I would appreciate it.

slang,

Just be sure you don't let your one year pass to file a NOD or you more likely than not

would need N&M to re-open.

I don't trust - for one moment !

JMHO

I took letters to document new evidence to my new rep today and signed authorization in advance for VA to request an additional report from state voc rehab if needed.

It is starting to dawn on me that this may not be a purely objective process, that with Iraq and Afghanistan vets returning with missing limbs that my claim was 'mislaid' for four months, only 'discovered' when I called about it, and now they are 'agreeing' to fast track it to compensate for the error. If it isn't ruled on in 4 months I will have to yank it out of the fast track status and appeal in order not to let my year expire, having lost eight months in the meantime.

According to my previous rep this was supposed to be a sure thing with the IMO and now I am not sure it will ever happen.

According to my previous rep this was supposed to be a sure thing with the IMO

slang,

If you'r rep says something is a "sure thing" - they must still be a little wet behind the ears.

We can submit IMO's as medical evidence to help support the grant of an issue but even that

still has to go thru development and adjudication to get rated.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use