VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C H A M P V A - One Of The Very Best Benefits!

Rate this question

LarryJ

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Just got through gathering up the Wife's receipts for the last three months to send in to CHAMPVA.

Total is $2,233.00 that was NOT covered by her employer-provided health insurance.

She has diabetes and some of her drugs are like $450 over and above her primary health insurance.

YUP, I am most pleased with CHAMPVA. There will be a check in the mailbox for this, probably before the first of the year.

Being 100% disabled is NOT FUN...........heck, if I was able to work my health insurance because of my work would take the place of the CHAMPVA, with HER work's health insurance being the "primary" payor.

So, I guess that we are not getting anything that I would not have if I were "employable"...............but, it still makes my heart feel good about the CHAMPVA benefits.

Thanks, VA!

I am having a bit of trouble getting started with champva, My wife and I are both on tri-care and Medicare. My wife is hearing impaired and her hearing aids are not covered by either tri-care  or Medicare for replacement.

We moved back home in July 2015 From Ft. Bragg NC after quite a long  time away from Cal.

long story short, when I went to eligibility  to register at the Loma Linda VA they told me that my wife is eligible for CHAMPVA but  didn't tell me how to sign her up. Is there anyone who has any information that can give me a sit-rep on what to do, where I do it etc.

Thanks for the assist

jimmybeans

Berta, How are ya, haven't been on here in a few years and sorry to hear about Carlie.  Question is about ChampVA... If the Veteran's spouse is covered under ChampVa and the Veteran later passes on, does the widowed spouse continue to keep ChampVA or not? Since the sponsor is no longer living.

Long time no See!

Yes, there should be no problem with it continuing.

Rocky we also lost Test Vet and Mike Sasser (Stretch), too. We believe Larry J died as well.

In my case CHAMPVA was a posthumous award ( 100% P & T PTSD ) that came 3 years after my husband had died...over 20 years ago.

Then the Sec 1151 award (DIC for wrongful death ) came but 1151 awards do not grant CHAMPVA.

Then in 2009 they awarded direct SC death under AO.

If they had not made the 1997 100% SC P & T award (for PTSD) , I would not have been eligible for CHAMPVA until the 2009 award came.

Part of the CHAMPVA EED was during the veteran's lifetime. I might have been reimbursed by them for a few medical costs within the EED.

The spouse however must apply for Medicare Part A and B when they are eligible for  Medicare, in order for CHAMPVA to continue, when they reach SSA retirement age.

I had caratact surgery on both eyes in October and so far I have not had a bill yet.