VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gulf War Ischemic Heart Disease

Rate this question

Jason Kahl

Question

I am 41 and just had a heart attack 2 days before the VA could get a angio gram done. Anyway I am TOO DAMN YOUNG for a heart attack. The doctors said it was a "Widow Maker, I just so happen to live very close to a heart specialty hospital.

Is Ischemic Heart Disease presumptive for Gulf war Veterans?

Current Rating:

100% Complete and Total with SMC under 1151

50% (Private)

10% Scars

10% Hearing

Most people would stop here and call it good..my problem is my family does not get chap 35 DEA benefits. If I can get my afib and heart problems service connected I can claim IUE on my regular %'s then my family could be covered.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You should get your doctor to say you are P&T. Then ask to be made P&T. You just send in a Statement in Support of Claim. IHD is not presumptive for Gulf War. It is presumptive for Vietnam vets. How long have you been 100%? If it is more than a year I would send in a claim for P&T.

• HadIt.com Elder

IHD is only a presumptive for the following:

People exposed to agent orange. Proven exposure means boots on the ground in an area where agent orange was used.

This includes:

The inland rivers of Viet Nam or brown water.

Gulf war vets are not considered for IHD unless you had it in service or during the first post service year.

Note that it can be claimed secondary to other issues like Hypertension and Diabetes.

Also amputees can claim it.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

I am 41 and just had a heart attack 2 days before the VA could get a angio gram done. Anyway I am TOO DAMN YOUNG for a heart attack. The doctors said it was a "Widow Maker, I just so happen to live very close to a heart specialty hospital.

Is Ischemic Heart Disease presumptive for Gulf war Veterans?

Current Rating:

100% Complete and Total with SMC under 1151

50% (Private)

10% Scars

10% Hearing

Most people would stop here and call it good..my problem is my family does not get chap 35 DEA benefits. If I can get my afib and heart problems service connected I can claim IUE on my regular %'s then my family could be covered.

As was pointed out earlier, IHD is presumptive to exposure to "Agent Orange" defoliant. By any chance were you exposed, or did you ever handle any of that nasty stuff?

.'my problem is my family does not get chap 35 DEA benefits.' They probably don't get CHAMPVA either.

"100% Complete and Total with SMC under 1151"

I am a Section 1151er but because my husband had 100% SC P & T in his lifetime independent of the 1151 wrongful death and (200% plus under 1151 )_I get CHap 35 DEA and CHAMPVA.

"50% (Private)"

I assume there is no potential for you to get a major increase to 100% for any of the SCs you have now?

1151 does not award many ancillary benefits.

I proved last year that my husband's 1151 death was also directly service connected.It extended my CHAP 35 award.

Whatever this 50 % SC award is for- is it possible they should rate you higher for it? If it could get to 100% SC P & T then they would owe the DEA and CHAMPVA.

Sec 1151 regulations really get me-

the VA will pay 1151 comp when they bugger a vet with piss poor medical care or kill them but they will NOT extend ancillary benefits such as DEA or CHAMPVA on that basis alone.(1151)

The CHAMPVA people told me years ago that it was heartbreaking for them to have to tell a Sec 1151 dependent or survivor of the vet that the 1151 alone did not warrant them CHAMPVA eligibility.

Sometime in the future I will be asking support for correction of this unfair aspect of 1151 as maybe I col;d get some sponsors on the HVAC to consider an amendment.

Also the Nehmer regulations do not account for 1151 and AO conditions.As far as I know and also NVLSP agrees I am only 1151er so far who ever got award for direct SC death under Nehmer that was in fact a FTCA and 1151 death in the past.

Your path to DEA is possibly for higher rating of the 50% SC to 100% P & T.

Edited by Berta

I found this, at http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+38USC1117 notice cardio is one of the presumptive am I reading this wrong?on active duty in the Armed Forces in the Southwest Asia theater of operations during the Persian Gulf War. (g) For purposes of this section, signs or symptoms that may be a manifestation of an undiagnosed illness or a chronic multisymptom illness include the following: (1) Fatigue. (2) Unexplained rashes or other dermatological signs or symptoms. (3) Headache. (4) Muscle pain. (5) Joint pain. (6) Neurological signs and symptoms. (7) Neuropsychological signs or symptoms. (8) Signs or symptoms involving the upper or lower respiratory system. (9) Sleep disturbances. (10) Gastrointestinal signs or symptoms. (11) Cardiovascular signs or symptoms. (12) Abnormal weight loss. (13) Menstrual disorders.

I found this, at http://frwebgate.acc...Cite:+38USC1117 notice cardio is one of the presumptive am I reading this wrong?on active duty in the Armed Forces in the Southwest Asia theater of operations during the Persian Gulf War. (g) For purposes of this section, signs or symptoms that may be a manifestation of an undiagnosed illness or a chronic multisymptom illness include the following: (1) Fatigue. (2) Unexplained rashes or other dermatological signs or symptoms. (3) Headache. (4) Muscle pain. (5) Joint pain. (6) Neurological signs and symptoms. (7) Neuropsychological signs or symptoms. (8) Signs or symptoms involving the upper or lower respiratory system. (9) Sleep disturbances. (10) Gastrointestinal signs or symptoms. (11) Cardiovascular signs or symptoms. (12) Abnormal weight loss. (13) Menstrual disorders.

I have had Afib problems since the service, out of the blue Dec 19th heart attack, I never believed in Gulfwar syndrome but I am starting to.