VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suggestions For Imo

Rate this question

Clarke221

Question

Hi All,

We are headed to MD to see the leading doctor for ARVD (Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia) at the end of the month, and he is going to write an IMO in support of our claim to the VA.

My husband had palpitations while in the Army but they were never documented in his SMRs. He was honorably discharged October 15, 2009 with 30% disability but none of it was heart related. In December 2009, he had an EKG done that said he had an abnormal heart rhythm that left room for concern. We went to a cardiologist in May of 2010 and they wrote it off as something insignificant after doing another EKG, a holster monitor for 24 hours, and an echo. Then September 2, 2010 he landed in the hospital for 18 days and was diagnosed with ARVD and had 2 heart caths, a cardiac MRI, numerous echos and other procedures, and an AICD implanted.

The doctor we are going to see is not the doctor that originally saw him and treated him for the condition. He is however the leading expert on ARVD in the country, so I feel that his opinion will work. He has asked us to bring some examples and/or directions for the letter so he can write it while we are there.

Can anyone give me some suggestions of what it should say. I know it should say something to the term of the ARVD as likely as not developed during my husband's time in service. Also that the physical stresses of active duty as likely as not aggravated the condition.

This can be a genetic condition, but it is only found to be genetic 50% of the time. The doctor that treated my husband in the hospital is under the impression that it is genetic, period. So I'm guessing the IMO needs to read that it is as likely as not a genetic condition?

Is "as likely as not" good enough to help us out or does he need to use different terminology? What else do we need to make sure is in there?

Some of you may have seen my post about the C&P exam. They are not sending my husband to a C&P exam for his heart. He's already had all his other exams for the rest of the claims we submitted earlier this month. Hoping that if we get the IMO in the first week of February that it's not too late.

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

He was diagnosed within the first post service year.

He meets the criteria for presumptive service connection and he will get it. You may not need the IMO. ( I would do it anyway)

Also file for SSDI as soon as possible, regardless of Short term or Long term disbility.

Thank him for his service and also give him my condolences for being disabled. I too have heart issues.

JBasser

Edited by jbasser

It will help if the IMO also states that the doctor reviewed the veterans service medical records.

And I may not be reading your post correctly but if you want the IMO to be in the favor of NOT being genetic and instead being due to his militiary service it needs to read: "as likely as not NOT a genetic condition" instead of "as likely as not a genetic condition".

If you can get him to maybe instead of as likely as not, he will write " (insert husbands condition) is due to".

The criteria for IMOs is here:

The doctor should use one or two strong medical treatises to attempt to rule this out as genetic.

As USAF said the doc will need ALL SMRs and post service records.

I dont see this as a chronic presumptive disability.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use