• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Robi Akerley-McKee

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Buck, Hope the biopsy comes back clean, And good luck if you have the surgery.  Don't put that off (like my Dad), it don't get better with age. Hamslice    
    • I don't think civilians understand VA disability.  They lump it in with SSDI and Insurance disabilities.  Not the same. The VA comp is the difference between when you signed up and when you left service.  They bought you at 100%.  You either retire (or leave) at 100% or they pay the difference. A total guess, but your 40% could be from limited Range of Motion, or even required bed rest. How riding a bike or playing volleyball a investigator could determine your ROM, etc., would be a good read. I would imagine your disability(s) are static, which means permanent (almost, I know, but I say permanent) I wonder how many phone calls the VA gets from civilians questioning a Veteran's compensation? I would not worry, Hamslice    
    • Glad she is your X. Sounds like a WJ1..Whack Job first class. The VA is not stalking you.   J
    • Buck, My prayers are sent your way and wish you the best!!  Thomas
    • I call bs also.  We used to regularly get hadit newbies trying to get information on how to game the system.  They quickly learned no such information was available here; and left just as quickly. It cannot be stressed enough that veterans be completely honest with their claims! It is perfectly legitimate to describe your average, or even your worse day, as opposed to your best day when discussing your condition; but it isn't alright to make up or grossly exaggerate your condition(s).  Once awarded, everyone should read the award letter very carefully!  Cross reference your awarded rating with the rating schedule in order to clearly understand exactly what you were awarded and why.  The degree of occupational and social impairment is critical!  We are not being compensated for our diminished quality of life.  We are being compensated for our diminished capacity to gain and maintain employment at the national poverty level or above. If you are in better medical and/or mental condition than your rating, the VA will get around the discovering that information through regular medical exams and C&P exams.  Until a vet has his/her rating continuously for 20 years, no rating is permanent and total. This is especially true with TDIU and total ratings for mental health. In many cases, it does not matter if you are being paid for what you are doing-the fact that you are capable of doing what you are doing matters. History repeats itself. Several years after the end of our involvement in Vietnam, the American taxpayers became aware of the huge cost of treating and compensating damaged veterans.  They didn't want to pay the bill, so they didn't.  As a consequence, veterans suffered and died alone and silent.  It is estimated that the cost of Iraq/Afghanistan veterans will exceed 5 trillion dollars over their lifetimes.  The taxpayers will not want to pay that bill either; and they won't.  So, once again, veterans will suffer and die, but hopefully not alone and with the internet-not silent.  If the newer generations of vets make enough noise, maybe those taxpayers can be shamed into honoring their obligations,  I wouldn't bet the farm on it.  

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stu Pidasso

Mental Health C&p Exam

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have not been on here to post anything in a while, but I have been reading and learning. I had my physical C&P done today and my Mental Health exam done in February. While I was at the VA I figured I would go ahead and stop by the release of information office and get my C&P write up. I would appreciate any insight on what my rating may be, and any guess on when I may get my rating. I know none of us every really knows what the system is going to do, but a little peace of mind goes a long way. Thanks.

post-10064-0-56724700-1300756129_thumb.j

Stu,

I read your attached C&P letter and it is obvious that the doctor beleives you have severe PTSD. His 'More likely than Not occured due to Iraq service" comments gives you the benifit of doubt that the PTSD is service connected, thus the VA will be hard pressed to not accept this as a valid claim.

As to your rating that will be determined using all evidence the VA has, including this C&P and any military or civilian medical records it has. I would hazard a guess, using the VA rating tables (see this LINK) that you lie between the 30% and 70% range.

As to how long it will take? Could be as little as a few months. Could be many years. Really depends on your specific case, how many other issues you are claiming, wether mistakes are made on the claim (by you or the VA) and wether you have to file a NOD or appeal.

I wish you good tidings in resolving your issues so that you can properly function again. That has been my goal from day one with my depression. Has been a 10+ year battle, but I am gaining a little ground each day.

Take care.

Stu,

I believe this came from a MH professional which is good.

For clarification, regarding a post in this thread "the benefit of doubt" is

not for application in this situation or with the evidence shown in the post.

This progress note clearly shows a diagnosis of PTSD and a nexus that it

is the result of active duty service.

Here is a link to the schedule for rating MH disability's at the different

percentage levels.

These were not addressed very well in the Progress Note, in my opinion.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/julqtr/pdf/38cfr4.130.pdf

Are you working and if nt how long since you were able to work. Do you get Social Security and if not working you should apply for it.

Good Luck

It appears that you have PTSD linked to your service by this C&P.

I have not worked since last March. I am currently in school trying to change my skill set so I can get a different job. I have some physical issues as well. My C&P exam was done for the physical stuff yesterday. It was discovered from an x-ray yesterday that I have arthritis in my spine. In my claim letter I mentioned a ruptured vertebrae in my cervical spine area. I was not aware of the arthritis. I hated to hear that. My mental health C&P exam was done by a psychologist. She works for the the VA. I did not think that she like me very much and she had me worried. I suppose I made her a bit nervous.

Are you working and if nt how long since you were able to work. Do you get Social Security and if not working you should apply for it.

Good Luck

It appears that you have PTSD linked to your service by this C&P.