VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increased Percent Rating

Rate this question

JamesPT

Question

Hello everyone, received a VA letter last week stating that my new overall rating is 60%. I was 30% for PTSD and 10% service connected injury, 40% total. I filed for a PTSD increase late last year so for PTSD they have awarded me an additional 20%. I have an additional claim in process for secondary ailments, if that claim is approved and I am I'm taking a wild guess, the VA might award an additional 10% which will add up to 70% total? I am speculating on percent increases as I read somewhere that by law the VA awards increases in 10% increments only? ... Anyway, thanks for everyones advice, opinions and in particular the "HADIT" web site which has been of great help in navigating the VA's claims process. Thanks.

Jim

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Hello everyone, received a VA letter last week stating that my new overall rating is 60%. I was 30% for PTSD and 10% service connected injury, 40% total. I filed for a PTSD increase late last year so for PTSD they have awarded me an additional 20%. I have an additional claim in process for secondary ailments, if that claim is approved and I am I'm taking a wild guess, the VA might award an additional 10% which will add up to 70% total? I am speculating on percent increases as I read somewhere that by law the VA awards increases in 10% increments only? ... Anyway, thanks for everyones advice, opinions and in particular the "HADIT" web site which has been of great help in navigating the VA's claims process. Thanks.

Jim

JamesPT,

The regs for a Mental Health disability do not contain a 20% rating criteria.

Mental Health only compensates at the following percentages :

SC'd at zero or 10% - 30 % - 50 % - 70 % or 100 %.

Thanks for the reply Carlie; I guess I still don't have a hold on VA mathematics. My question; if I was 30% PTSD how did I get to the new 60% rating? I am guessing the VA chucked the 30% and put me in the 50% category? plus the 10% for service connected injuries = 60%? ,,, Also if you don't mind, I may be out of line with the following question as it might need to be posted in different forum. John999 below indicates "if unable to work to file for TDIU"; is this process very tidious? do I have to file and submit all medical records. support statements from Doctors etc. all of which the VA already has on file? ,,, I am not able to work, the PTSD meds which help very little with my mental condition do tend to make me zombie like so to speak; memory lapses (thinking and acting more slowly), lack of focus, I could go on and on with side effects. Also my physical injuries, the surgeries which have resulted in overall limited range of motion plus the meds for physical pain in addition to the meds for mental condition; well again, it goes on and on. Just looking for an answer regarding filing for TDIU. I am sorry, I am still ignorant regarding the claims process. Regardless, I will take John999 suggestion and submit a TDIU form. Thanks again, your responses are appreciated. I will look in the forum for more info, but I guess the TDIU form is submitted to VA Regional?

Jim

Thanks for the reply Carlie; I guess I still don't have a hold on VA mathematics. My question; if I was 30% PTSD how did I get to the new 60% rating? I am guessing the VA chucked the 30% and put me in the 50% category? plus the 10% for service connected injuries = 60%? ,,,

Jim

Jim,

Click on the following link and enter each of your individual percentages

in there, start with your highest one and work down - then click submit

to get you combined total.

Remember VA will round the total combined, either up or down accordingly.

http://www.hadit.com//service_connected_disabilities_rating_calculator.php

• HadIt.com Elder

carlie - am I missing something here or did I misunderstand your post?? James stated he was 30% for PTSD and is now 50% for PTSD, a 20% increase. Mental ratings are @20% intervals until 70% and then they jump to 100%. just sayin'

pr

JamesPT,

The regs for a Mental Health disability do not contain a 20% rating criteria.

Mental Health only compensates at the following percentages :

SC'd at zero or 10% - 30 % - 50 % - 70 % or 100 %.