VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Total And Permanent Service Connected Disability Additional Benefits

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

Total and Permanent Service Connected Disability Additional Benefits

Check your state benefits here

This is by no means an extensive list and we recommend calling the VA at 1-800-827-1000 with any questions about the following benefits.

Dental treatment

Educational Assistance for Dependents: (under chapter 35) Veteran Must be rated 100% and permanent and total by the VA.

Civilian health and medical program for dependents/survivors (CHAMPVA) Veteran Must be rated 100% and permanent and total by the VA.

Specially Adapted Homes:

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grants

The following is an abbreviated description of the requirements for obtaining an SAH Grant. For more information or an application, visit http://www.homeloans.va.gov/sah.htm or contact your local VA Regional Office at 1-800-827-1000.

There are two types of grants which are available to help severely disabled veterans in adapting housing to their special needs.

1. Specially Adapted Housing Grant

The maximum amount of this grant is $50,000. It is available to veterans with service-connected permanent and total disability due to one of the three following conditions:the loss or loss of use of both lower extremities or, blindness in both eyes, having only light perception, plus loss or loss of use of one lower extremity or,loss or loss of use of one lower extremity together with other disabilities which precludes locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes or a wheelchair

2. Special Home Adaptations Grant

The maximum amount of this grant is $10,000. It is available to veterans with service-connected permanent and total disability due to one of the two following conditions:

blindness in both eyes with 5/200 visual acuity or less or,the loss or loss of use of both hands.

Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance: Decreasing term mortgage insurance up to $90,000 for veterans who have received a Specially Adaptive Housing grant and have an existing mortgage.

Waiver of cost of Service Disabled life Insurance: and additional $20,000 of life insurance at cost to veteran. Veteran must have applied for insurance within two years of initial disability rating or within two years of a new disability rating. An increase in a disability rating does not qualify as a new disability.

Commissary and Exchange privileges for veteran and dependants: The veteran must request a letter from the VA specifying veteran is in receipt of 100% disability, and then applies for a military ID card at the nearest ID card issuing facility.

Emergency treatment in non-VA facilities: if VA facilities are not available.

Annual Eye exams and prescribed eye wear

Are VA dental benefits any good? I am class IV (100% TDIU P&T) and my local VA Dental denied me dental implants. They want to pull all my teeth but one and give me dentures. Is that legit? 

Can I appeal?

• HadIt.com Elder
6 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Are VA dental benefits any good? I am class IV (100% TDIU P&T) and my local VA Dental denied me dental implants. They want to pull all my teeth but one and give me dentures. Is that legit? 

Can I appeal?

you might go see your VAMC Hospital Director and tell him what you mention here.

only certain VAMC do the Implants  maybe your don't?

or call the white house hotline  #  before this new administration closes it to us veterans.

I had great care in both eye care and dental.  "However", this could be in no small part because of a "scandal" at my VAMC dental clinic.  There was a very old dentist there "who would not wash his hands in between patients" and there was evidence he infected Vets with HEP C.  Well that old dentist retired or was fired, and there was a complete shakep of dental department after it closed about 3 months for "cleaning".  

The net result was the dental clinic was "overhauled", and the director, promoted.  Yes, promoted.  I couldnt makt that up.

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/local/director-involved-dayton-dental-scandal-reassigned-maryland/x8iqE18mYJiAaymGukFNlM/

The VAMC knows that there or "eyes on VA" because of this scandal, and they walk on egg shells to help Vets.  Its almost good for me, no, it is good.  

I was not treated by that dentist who refused to wash his hands.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Remember

All Veterans service connected at 100% or All veterans granted TDIU P&T ARE ALL ELIGABLE FOR VA DENTAL CARE.

12 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Remember

All Veterans service connected at 100% or All veterans granted TDIU P&T ARE ALL ELIGABLE FOR VA DENTAL CARE.

Right, but what do the different tiers indicate? I figured it was how much dental coverage one could get. 

Is there a way I can push back and try to get dental implants? I once had a Community Care referral approved for dental implants but the final decision to do it is still made by the same dentists who denied implants to me. Are there any VA regulations or something I can research that covers dental benefits?

13 hours ago, Buck52 said:

you might go see your VAMC Hospital Director and tell him what you mention here.

only certain VAMC do the Implants  maybe your don't?

or call the white house hotline  #  before this new administration closes it to us veterans.

What's the WH hotline about?