VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anxiety/panic Attacks

Rate this question

cooter

Question

I need some feedback folks! First of all I have a long history of anxiety/panic attacks. Can't really tell the differances in the two because, for one thing, they both have the same symptoms in many way's. In the other, when your body submits to these attack's you don't give a sh*t which one it is! ha. I ended up at the emergancy room 2 weeks ago thinking I was having a heart attack. Went thru EKG, Xrays, blood test, etc. They kept me there overnight to check my enzines every 6 hours. Everything turned out negative and sent home. My wife suggested I might of had a severe panic attack. All the attacks I've had in the past wasn't nearly as bad as this one. If it wasn't for the wicked pain in the left side of chest and down the entire left arm I would'nt have gone. My first question is; Can a panic attack cause your heart to have angina episodes? Secondly, when I was at the VA hosp. 2 years ago talking to a councelor about a pre-op, I started to have some sort of an attack coming on and ended up in the emergency room there. The Dr. wrote down it was possibly a reaction to a new med I was on (blood pressure booster). I've always wondered if it was another attack. Would that help as extra evidence for a claim?

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Classic panic attacks. I have them also and made my fair share of ambulance rides. Not only I thought I was having a heart attack but so did all the medical people.

I take xanax and celexa for my panic. My xanax prescription is for 4 A DAY BUT i USUALLY TAKE ONE BEFORE i GO TO SLEEP AND ONE WHEN i WAKE UP AND THAN THE OTHER 2 AS NEEDED. Sorry for caps but I am not going to fix it.

My advice to you is to try and get some help for the panic and see someone as soon as you can/

I have tools that help me deal with panic. Lucky for me my first attack happened on June 9th when I was in the Army. Course if I had not been in the Army I may not have ever had a panic attack.

Try and keep stress to as low a level as possible. Stress is an incubator for [panic attacks

Classic panic attacks. I have them also and made my fair share of ambulance rides. Not only I thought I was having a heart attack but so did all the medical people.

When I was at the emergency room the Dr on call said he was 80% sure I had a heart attack, even tho test results where Negative. My question is how can you tell if it's anxiety or panic? Some Dr's tell me it was anxiety, while other one's tell me panic attack. What would be the main differance?

I take xanax and celexa for my panic. My xanax prescription is for 4 A DAY BUT i USUALLY TAKE ONE BEFORE i GO TO SLEEP AND ONE WHEN i WAKE UP AND THAN THE OTHER 2 AS NEEDED. Sorry for caps but I am not going to fix it.

My advice to you is to try and get some help for the panic and see someone as soon as you can/

I have tools that help me deal with panic. Lucky for me my first attack happened on June 9th when I was in the Army. Course if I had not been in the Army I may not have ever had a panic attack.

Try and keep stress to as low a level as possible. Stress is an incubator for [panic attacks

Don't the meds make you sleepy all the time?

If anyone has any friendly advice on what would be good based evidence for a claim on anxiety/panic disorder I'm all ears!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Get a shrink to say that your panic attacks are symptom of some accepted service connected condition.

He takes Xanax too......lose dosage, and does fine. (He was diagnosed with PTSD by the VA in 2007 but denied SC.) With medication and counseling, plus knowledge of the effects of traumatic stress, he handles it well. He had a tough 15 years though.

Good luck with your endeavors with the VA.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm happy to hear your husband has it under control! What meds is he taking for it? My Dr has me on xanax but they make me sleepy all the time. I had a bad parachute jump about a month before I got out of the army and been having them since. So, since it's not on my SMR it's going to be tough getting it SC.