• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    biorob

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • This may not be on this subject but just thought I'd toss it out there for the vets that don't know? As for as ANY dealings with the VA  On anything  its always best to get your self  a date stamped from the VA Employee's TO SHOW YOU WERE THERE YOU TRIED TO GET WHAT EVER No matter what the cause make sure you get proof for yourself that you were there no matter what the cause. It could very well come in handy for you down the long road of VA Appeals. if you work your claim yourself   its good to have your VSO date stamp your documents you send the VA Before you send them in.  or another example Even if you had an appointment to go see your C-FILE at your R.O. and they can't seem to find it and ask you to just come back next week  or what ever excuse they give you...be sure and get them to get you a form and have them to date stamp that form to show you reported for your Appointment on that date and they could not locate your C-FILE..These little things could sure prove to be worth your time a trouble later on. jmo ....................Buck
    • Just to post an update, I submitted my claim in May and was awarded 30% for IBS-D with an effective date of June 2015, which was the date i submitted my intent to file.    My total is now 60% service connected.
    • I believe your correct Ms Berta   after NOD one year time limit runs out  the claim is closed out  and only if the veteran him/her self can show'' good cause'' will the VA take note and its up to their digression to continue with the claim. (usually a medical emergency is ''good cause''
    • A Good Read About VCAA. Maybe it will help fellow Veterans understand it better! http://www.bva.va.gov/docs/VLR_VOL3/6-GriffinAndJones-VCAA-TenYearsLaterPages284-321.pdf .............Buck
    • I guess my reply was not clear.Please correct me if I am wrong. If one does not file a NOD in time, that claim is considered over and done with.Unless they can get the VA to reconsider the untimeless for " good Cause",like if the veteran was suddenly hospitalized prior to the NOD deadline-that might work. That info is in M21-1MR. Maybe a lawyer Could help with that type of claim for "good cause"...I dont know..... If a veteran can reopen the claim with new and material evidence, and then get denied again they can obtain a lawyer who might even prepare the NOD themselves. Chris Attig is a member here and is a Great veteran's  Attorney. It would have helped if you had posted the rest of his article. The key word is Pro Bono and what would they be representing you for? An assumption that the claim will be denied? Have you contacted Chris ? He is very user friendly and might be able to help you prove the NOD was not filed timely due to "good cause". I have an appeal for the BVA  on the 'good cause' basis which the BVA may or may not address ( this is a small issue, as my appeal involves a bigger more important issue)as it seems to have been denied in the CUE award I am appealing. My NOD was certainly filed in time. That is not the issue. The issue I raised is that when VA makes a CUE (Clear and Unmistakable error) in a decision,and does not correct it,when challenged, even if the NOD is filed in time, the time frame of the NOD should be extended for 'good cause' because the claimant is filing a NOD on a decision that contains an erroneous legal error to their detriment, and the 'extention' of the NOD time frame would help VA have more time to correct the specific error; thus  the claimant can file the NOD on a legal decision without legal error.   Feel free to share my comments here with Chris.His info is correct. But your problem is not a legal issue. It is the "nexus" factor. In my opinion.   "A Veterans Benefits attorney can represent a Veteran before the filing of a Notice of Disagreement(in an original claim) on a pro bono basis only There is one exception – and these cases are getting more and more rare: If your claim was denied by the VA prior to June 20, 2007, an accredited agent or attorney is only permitted to charge fees for services after the Board of Veterans’ Appeals issued a first final decision in the case. Now, this begs the question: can you hire an attorney help you BEFORE the VA denies your claim? Yes, you absolutely can. But the attorney cannot charge you a fee." (source...above link in prior post from Chris Attig's site.                            

allan

Veterans Can Get No-Cost Medical Alert Id Bracelets Through The Va

6 posts in this topic

Subject: [VeteranIssues] veterans can get no-cost Medical Alert ID bracelets through the VADate: May 19, 2011 3:33 AM

News to use. Did you know that veterans can get no-cost Medical Alert ID bracelets through the VA? Neither did I. Neither did anyone at my clinic. You can read the VHA directive at my place if you come visit. Do you know a vet with diabetes, allergies, seizures, etc.? Please pass this on.

http://www.vawatchdogtoday.org/VAWatchdogToday.html

Department of Veterans Affairs

VHA DIRECTIVE 2009-007

Veterans Health AdministrationWashington, DC 20420 February 24, 2009

PROVISION OF MEDICAL IDENTIFICATION (ID) BRACELETS AND PENDANTS1. PURPOSE:

This Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Directive provides policy regarding the provision of medical identification (ID) bracelets or pendants containing pertinent medical information (allergies or diagnoses) that would be valuable to emergency health care providers.

2. BACKGROUND:

Symptoms of common ailments can be misdiagnosed by responders to an emergent situation involving a person who is unable to communicate. Prompt and accurate diagnosis is essential to effective treatment. The use of an ID bracelet or pendant is a standard way to provide this information to health care providers in a situation where the individual cannot communicate.

3. POLICY:

It is VHA policy that ID bracelets and pendants must be available, upon appropriate request by Department of Veterans Affairs clinicians through Prosthetics Service, for veteran patients whose pertinent medical information would be valuable to emergency medical care providers.

4. ACTION

a.

Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) Director.

The VISN Director is responsible for ensuring that all facilities within the VISN are issuing ID bracelets or pendants, as appropriate.

b.

Facility Director.

The Facility Director is responsible for ensuring that local systems arei n place to provide enrolled and otherwise eligible Veterans with appropriate ID bracelets orpendants in accordance with this Directive.

c.

Facility Chief of Staff.

The Facility Chief of Staff is responsible for ensuring that electronic consults to Prosthetics Service are in place for use by clinicians to request ID bracelets or pendants when such devices are indicated, and that clinicians are educated about their availability and appropriate use. The consult must:(1) Specify the information to be engraved on the device. This can include, but is not limited to: food and drug allergies, diabetes, seizure disorder, and metal fragments in the body.(2) Specify if an ID bracelet or pendant is required.

d.

Chief, Prosthetics and Sensory Aids Service.

The Chief, Prosthetics and Sensory Aids Service, is responsible for ensuring that:

THIS VHA DIRECTIVE EXPIRES FEBRUARY 28, 2014

"Keep on, Keepin' on"

Dan Cedusky, Champaign IL "Colonel Dan"

See my web site at:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/VeteranIssues/

http://www.facebook.com/dan.cedusky

This is great to know. I have to wear one and ordered it through the pamphlet at CVS. Cost quite a bit to get several as I tend to lose things. I'll have to contact my PCP to get the ball rolling. THANK YOU!

I don't think the VA would provide some of the new

medic alert pendants / bracelets I've been seeing lately,

but they have ones now that you hook a USB cable to and download

your medical info into it. You can also shower with it on.

This is great... I wonder if I need to first call my Primary care Dr. and ask her to ask the prosthetics clinic to get me one? is that how we get one?

I need one... every day I leave my house, even to walk the dog I make sure I have my id, because in my condition, I could drop at any time and have conditions which are life threatening if not handled properly...

I called my primary care doctor to ask for a bracelet...

thanx..

Subject: [VeteranIssues] veterans can get no-cost Medical Alert ID bracelets through the VADate: May 19, 2011 3:33 AM

News to use. Did you know that veterans can get no-cost Medical Alert ID bracelets through the VA? Neither did I. Neither did anyone at my clinic. You can read the VHA directive at my place if you come visit. Do you know a vet with diabetes, allergies, seizures, etc.? Please pass this on.

http://www.vawatchdo...chdogToday.html

Department of Veterans Affairs

VHA DIRECTIVE 2009-007

Veterans Health AdministrationWashington, DC 20420 February 24, 2009

PROVISION OF MEDICAL IDENTIFICATION (ID) BRACELETS AND PENDANTS1. PURPOSE:

This Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Directive provides policy regarding the provision of medical identification (ID) bracelets or pendants containing pertinent medical information (allergies or diagnoses) that would be valuable to emergency health care providers.

2. BACKGROUND:

Symptoms of common ailments can be misdiagnosed by responders to an emergent situation involving a person who is unable to communicate. Prompt and accurate diagnosis is essential to effective treatment. The use of an ID bracelet or pendant is a standard way to provide this information to health care providers in a situation where the individual cannot communicate.

3. POLICY:

It is VHA policy that ID bracelets and pendants must be available, upon appropriate request by Department of Veterans Affairs clinicians through Prosthetics Service, for veteran patients whose pertinent medical information would be valuable to emergency medical care providers.

4. ACTION

a.

Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) Director.

The VISN Director is responsible for ensuring that all facilities within the VISN are issuing ID bracelets or pendants, as appropriate.

b.

Facility Director.

The Facility Director is responsible for ensuring that local systems arei n place to provide enrolled and otherwise eligible Veterans with appropriate ID bracelets orpendants in accordance with this Directive.

c.

Facility Chief of Staff.

The Facility Chief of Staff is responsible for ensuring that electronic consults to Prosthetics Service are in place for use by clinicians to request ID bracelets or pendants when such devices are indicated, and that clinicians are educated about their availability and appropriate use. The consult must:(1) Specify the information to be engraved on the device. This can include, but is not limited to: food and drug allergies, diabetes, seizure disorder, and metal fragments in the body.(2) Specify if an ID bracelet or pendant is required.

d.

Chief, Prosthetics and Sensory Aids Service.

The Chief, Prosthetics and Sensory Aids Service, is responsible for ensuring that:

THIS VHA DIRECTIVE EXPIRES FEBRUARY 28, 2014

"Keep on, Keepin' on"

Dan Cedusky, Champaign IL "Colonel Dan"

See my web site at:

http://www.angelfire.../VeteranIssues/

http://www.facebook.com/dan.cedusky

Edited by retiredat44

Don't be surprised if it takes 6 months to a year to get it.

I wonder if they pay the yearly subscription to keep the Medic Alert number active? I bought 2 Medic Alert bracelets, one for every day, one for dress. Wish I had known the VA would supply them!