This eBook will teach you how to get C-Files (paper and electronic) from the VA Regional Office.
How to Get your VA C-File

• Topics

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• C&P Exam Completed [Bad Vibe]
      Yes, she used a Ganiometer.    Weird, I reviewed my last C&P exam which stated my ROM was less than 45 deg last time. But I was still provided the minimum rating of 10%.
    • VA Stupidity Has No Limits!
      I don't know whether it was BUD/S or SAR School, but I'm pretty sure the logs weren't easy on my back or shoulders and neither were the mile long swims with heavy fins. The dirty waters I swam in didn't help with the GERD, and the PTSD was the first thing the VA diagnosed me with and it took them almost 3 years to convince me I had it. Yet, no service connection can be found for any of these things, and these pics are just of the training!! Do they simply "DONT GIVE A xxxx?" or are they just plain "STUPID?" 
    • Ebenefits Claim Status????
      EBenefits is not that reliable.  You have a congressperson involved, no?  That would be a response to your request for help to a congress representative I would think.     Try to call Peggy (the 800 827-1000 number) and ask them what the status is.  Its more likely that they can give more complete info to you.
    • ratings
      In EBenefits, under Disabilities, it will show exactly what your current ratings are.  This should show if you have 2 10's or 1 10, same with the back rating.   I would think that they are just updated verifications of SC. One spine rating cover sacroiliac, the lumbar and thoracic sections all in just 1 rating, so you can not have 2 separate ratings on DDD for L5/S1.
    • ratings
      sorry I do have others,  attached is all that i have been awarded.   I will have to look for those decision letters also degenerative disc disease, L5-S1 20% Service Connected   11/13/2002 depressive disorder 50% Service Connected   10/24/2014 peripheral neuropathy, bilateral lower extremities   Not Service Connected     esophageal reflux (formerly DC 7205) 10% Service Connected   01/29/2009 abdominal surgical scar 10% Service Connected   07/23/2003 hiatal hernia secondary to esophageal reflux surgery 0% Service Connected   07/23/2003 right ankle condition   Not Service Connected     allergic rhinitis (claimed as sinus condition) 30% Service Connected   10/24/2014 sleep apnea   Not Service Connected     hyperparathyroidism 0% Service Connected   09/21/1993 hypertension 10% Service Connected   01/29/2009 residual scar, status post adenoma resection (formerly DC 7800) 20% Service Connected   03/06/2014 degenerative disc disease, L5-S1 20% Service Connected   09/26/2003
    • C&P Exam Completed [Bad Vibe]
      Did the examiner use any type of measuring tools for your ROM?   Shoulder and Arm Limitation of Motion Code 5201: If the arm cannot be raised to the side more than 25°, it is rated 40% for the dominant arm and 30% for the non-dominant arm. If it cannot be raised more than 45° from the side, it is rated 30% for the dominant arm and 20% for the non-dominant arm. If the arm can be raised to shoulder level (90°), then it is rated 20% for either arm.    
    • My husband died in motorcycle accident
      Found this today; Competent lay evidence means any evidence not requiring that the proponent have specialized education, training, or experience. Lay evidence is competent if it is provided by a person who has knowledge of facts or circumstances and conveys matters that can be observed and described by a lay person. 38 C.F.R. § 3.159. Lay evidence may be competent and sufficient to establish a diagnosis of a condition when: (1) a layperson is competent to identify the medical condition (i.e., when the layperson will be competent to identify the condition where the condition is simple, for example a broken leg, and sometimes not, for example, a form of cancer); (2) the layperson is reporting a contemporaneous medical diagnosis, or; (3) lay testimony describing symptoms at the time supports a later diagnosis by a medical professional. Jandreau v. Nicholson, 492 F. 3d 1372 (Fed. Cir. 2007); see also Davidson v. Shinseki, 581 F.3d 1313 (Fed. Cir. 2009) (where widow seeking service connection for cause of death of her husband, the Veteran, the Court holding that medical opinion not required to prove nexus between service connected mental disorder and drowning which caused Veteran's death). In essence, lay testimony is competent when it regards the readily observable features or symptoms of injury or illness and "may provide sufficient support for a claim of service connection." Layno v. Brown, 6 Vet. App. 465 (1994). In ascertaining the competency of lay evidence, the Courts have generally held that a layperson is not capable of opining on matters requiring medical knowledge. Ruten v. Brown, 10 Vet. App. 183 (1997). In certain instances, however, lay evidence has been found to be competent with regard to a disease with "unique and readily identifiable features" that is "capable of lay observation." See, e.g., Barr v. Nicholson, 21 Vet. App. 303 (2007) (concerning varicose veins); see also Jandreau v. Nicholson, 492 F. 3d 1372 (Fed. Cir. 2007) (a dislocated shoulder); Charles v. Principi, 16 Vet. App. 370 (2002) (tinnitus); Falzone v. Brown, 8 Vet. App. 398 (1995) (flatfeet). Laypersons have been found to not be competent to provide evidence in more complex medical situations. See Woehlaert v. Nicholson, 21 Vet. App. 456 (2007) (concerning rheumatic fever).         The whole effect of PTSD can be observed by a wife, who is a lay person.  Her statement is a powerful tool, as shown in the BVA rulings, when it is not a complex medical issue.  Behavior can be readily observed in this case, carelessness, thrill seeking, dangerous behavior is something that you can assert as a lay person.  Writing the statement, I would describe his behavior before and after, deliberately drawing out the changes in behavior and how you note them, and why/how you believe it contributed to the accident.  As long as you dont try to inject medical expertise, they can not ignore your statement.  If you son is capable of doing this same thing, and of sufficient age to understand what it means, his statement would be admissible as well.  Friends, family, employers, also can provide lay statements to the effect of behavior that was risky and dangerous.  That sense of excitement, or thrills, can be directly attributed to PTSD by a medical professional.
    • Ebenefits Claim Status????
      I have a claim I that was put in 3/20/16 its red flashed for homeless and FDC however it has been closed I looked  on E Benefits and saw that is status was no longer open saw no letters being mailed out just close. When  I looked further on my page on the left in the my profile   section under disability portion of my claim on E benefits where they have my disabilities listed at the very Bottom as Pending Disabilities then it Table of pending disabilities it say  a Congressional Inquiry 5/18/2016 New and Folliculitus  dated back to 3/20/2014 what does that mean the 2014 case is an appeal is this about to be rated is that why its in Pending Disabliites??? Help Pending Disabilities Table of Pending Disabilities Disability Submitted Type Actions Congressional Inquiry 05/18/2016 NEW   Folliculitis Face/beard 03/20/2014 NEW
    • VSO
      I believe that I have and yes this is a remand that back to the regional to appeal board then to my VSO. Everytime I check my file location it shows it as being with  my VSO at the board. All the document I sent to the AMC shows as being unsoliciated. But  since I haven't  received  anything from VA or DAV since then I'm lost about my claim.

• HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran providing FREE information and community to veterans since 1997.

I am proud that I've been able to offer all that HadIt.com has for free for 19 years and continue to do so. HadIt.com does accept contributions to help with costs we also offer paid ad free subscriptions. None of the paid options are required. The forum, the website, news site and podcast are free and will remain so. If you choose to support the site with a contribution or a subscription it is appreciated but never required. If you choose to make a contribution or purchase an ad free subscription, you can do so here. 

allan

Veterans Can Get No-Cost Medical Alert Id Bracelets Through The Va

6 posts in this topic

Subject: [VeteranIssues] veterans can get no-cost Medical Alert ID bracelets through the VADate: May 19, 2011 3:33 AM

News to use. Did you know that veterans can get no-cost Medical Alert ID bracelets through the VA? Neither did I. Neither did anyone at my clinic. You can read the VHA directive at my place if you come visit. Do you know a vet with diabetes, allergies, seizures, etc.? Please pass this on.

http://www.vawatchdogtoday.org/VAWatchdogToday.html

Department of Veterans Affairs

VHA DIRECTIVE 2009-007

Veterans Health AdministrationWashington, DC 20420 February 24, 2009

PROVISION OF MEDICAL IDENTIFICATION (ID) BRACELETS AND PENDANTS1. PURPOSE:

This Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Directive provides policy regarding the provision of medical identification (ID) bracelets or pendants containing pertinent medical information (allergies or diagnoses) that would be valuable to emergency health care providers.

2. BACKGROUND:

Symptoms of common ailments can be misdiagnosed by responders to an emergent situation involving a person who is unable to communicate. Prompt and accurate diagnosis is essential to effective treatment. The use of an ID bracelet or pendant is a standard way to provide this information to health care providers in a situation where the individual cannot communicate.

3. POLICY:

It is VHA policy that ID bracelets and pendants must be available, upon appropriate request by Department of Veterans Affairs clinicians through Prosthetics Service, for veteran patients whose pertinent medical information would be valuable to emergency medical care providers.

4. ACTION

a.

Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) Director.

The VISN Director is responsible for ensuring that all facilities within the VISN are issuing ID bracelets or pendants, as appropriate.

b.

Facility Director.

The Facility Director is responsible for ensuring that local systems arei n place to provide enrolled and otherwise eligible Veterans with appropriate ID bracelets orpendants in accordance with this Directive.

c.

Facility Chief of Staff.

The Facility Chief of Staff is responsible for ensuring that electronic consults to Prosthetics Service are in place for use by clinicians to request ID bracelets or pendants when such devices are indicated, and that clinicians are educated about their availability and appropriate use. The consult must:(1) Specify the information to be engraved on the device. This can include, but is not limited to: food and drug allergies, diabetes, seizure disorder, and metal fragments in the body.(2) Specify if an ID bracelet or pendant is required.

d.

Chief, Prosthetics and Sensory Aids Service.

The Chief, Prosthetics and Sensory Aids Service, is responsible for ensuring that:

THIS VHA DIRECTIVE EXPIRES FEBRUARY 28, 2014

"Keep on, Keepin' on"

Dan Cedusky, Champaign IL "Colonel Dan"

See my web site at:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/VeteranIssues/

http://www.facebook.com/dan.cedusky

This is great to know. I have to wear one and ordered it through the pamphlet at CVS. Cost quite a bit to get several as I tend to lose things. I'll have to contact my PCP to get the ball rolling. THANK YOU!

I don't think the VA would provide some of the new

medic alert pendants / bracelets I've been seeing lately,

but they have ones now that you hook a USB cable to and download

your medical info into it. You can also shower with it on.

This is great... I wonder if I need to first call my Primary care Dr. and ask her to ask the prosthetics clinic to get me one? is that how we get one?

I need one... every day I leave my house, even to walk the dog I make sure I have my id, because in my condition, I could drop at any time and have conditions which are life threatening if not handled properly...

I called my primary care doctor to ask for a bracelet...

thanx..

Subject: [VeteranIssues] veterans can get no-cost Medical Alert ID bracelets through the VADate: May 19, 2011 3:33 AM

News to use. Did you know that veterans can get no-cost Medical Alert ID bracelets through the VA? Neither did I. Neither did anyone at my clinic. You can read the VHA directive at my place if you come visit. Do you know a vet with diabetes, allergies, seizures, etc.? Please pass this on.

http://www.vawatchdo...chdogToday.html

Department of Veterans Affairs

VHA DIRECTIVE 2009-007

Veterans Health AdministrationWashington, DC 20420 February 24, 2009

PROVISION OF MEDICAL IDENTIFICATION (ID) BRACELETS AND PENDANTS1. PURPOSE:

This Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Directive provides policy regarding the provision of medical identification (ID) bracelets or pendants containing pertinent medical information (allergies or diagnoses) that would be valuable to emergency health care providers.

2. BACKGROUND:

Symptoms of common ailments can be misdiagnosed by responders to an emergent situation involving a person who is unable to communicate. Prompt and accurate diagnosis is essential to effective treatment. The use of an ID bracelet or pendant is a standard way to provide this information to health care providers in a situation where the individual cannot communicate.

3. POLICY:

It is VHA policy that ID bracelets and pendants must be available, upon appropriate request by Department of Veterans Affairs clinicians through Prosthetics Service, for veteran patients whose pertinent medical information would be valuable to emergency medical care providers.

4. ACTION

a.

Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) Director.

The VISN Director is responsible for ensuring that all facilities within the VISN are issuing ID bracelets or pendants, as appropriate.

b.

Facility Director.

The Facility Director is responsible for ensuring that local systems arei n place to provide enrolled and otherwise eligible Veterans with appropriate ID bracelets orpendants in accordance with this Directive.

c.

Facility Chief of Staff.

The Facility Chief of Staff is responsible for ensuring that electronic consults to Prosthetics Service are in place for use by clinicians to request ID bracelets or pendants when such devices are indicated, and that clinicians are educated about their availability and appropriate use. The consult must:(1) Specify the information to be engraved on the device. This can include, but is not limited to: food and drug allergies, diabetes, seizure disorder, and metal fragments in the body.(2) Specify if an ID bracelet or pendant is required.

d.

Chief, Prosthetics and Sensory Aids Service.

The Chief, Prosthetics and Sensory Aids Service, is responsible for ensuring that:

THIS VHA DIRECTIVE EXPIRES FEBRUARY 28, 2014

"Keep on, Keepin' on"

Dan Cedusky, Champaign IL "Colonel Dan"

See my web site at:

http://www.angelfire.../VeteranIssues/

http://www.facebook.com/dan.cedusky

Edited by retiredat44

Don't be surprised if it takes 6 months to a year to get it.

I wonder if they pay the yearly subscription to keep the Medic Alert number active? I bought 2 Medic Alert bracelets, one for every day, one for dress. Wish I had known the VA would supply them!