VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Diagnosed With Myoclonus (Body Twitching)?

Rate this question

sleeper692

Question

I've been telling my VA docs, including the doc in my initial C&P exam, that my arms and legs jerk and twitch uncontrollably. It feels like I am receiving an electrical shock that can travel through my whole body. This has been going on for 20 years. None of the docs ever took note or asked any questions to explore my complaint. In the last 6 months or so, the frequency and severity of the twitching has increased to the point that it is affecting my daily life. Imagine drinking hot coffee when your arm suddenly jerks, spilling hot coffee everywhere! Its also embarrassing being around other people when my body is flailing about for no reason.

I finally had a neurologist give me a diagnosis of myoclonus and has me on meds to hopefully control it. Yesterday I read an article about GWI that mentioned reports of GWV's reporting muscle twitching and jerking along with the usual symptoms. It was the first time I had read that association with GWI.

Are there any other Gulf War vets experiencing this muscle twitching?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to service connect the diagnosis of myoclonus under the current presumptives as a neurological condition. Anyone wiser than I have any educated opinions?

Thanks!!

Pete

Edited by sleeper692

• HadIt.com Elder

Neurologists are not my favoraite kind of Dr's. Mostly due to their failure to comit to a diagnoses of one way or the other for over a decade.

I have been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, Traumatic Brain Injury and Spinal Stenosis/Spondylosis.

Anyone of these could be causing it. I'm used to it after all these yrs.

Although I still get weard looks from nurses and practioners that don't read the list of diagnoses I have or know what the twitching or tics as they like to lable it, are caused by. They refuse to give comment what exactly causes it and i've spent enough time making the 300mi trip just to get the run around.

I have been experiencing the same thing but just in the last year or so. It isn't really bad yet but does get quite annoying. I never knew what it was. Thanks for bringing this subject up. I will have a talk with my Doc when I go to the VA again.

B.

i have been diagnosed with myoclonus jerks as well about five years ago and take Klonopin to control it. I was denied for benefits from the VA for it and sleep apnea. Im currently trying to get more info and doctor visits and diagnoses together and try to fight for disability again. I am also a gulf war vet served in the theater back in 1991.

i have been diagnosed with myoclonus jerks as well about five years ago and take Klonopin to control it. I was denied for benefits from the VA for it and sleep apnea. Im currently trying to get more info and doctor visits and diagnoses together and try to fight for disability again. I am also a gulf war vet served in the theater back in 1991.

My claim for myoclonus as a "neurological disorder" as listed as one of the presumptive illnesses for GWV's is still in the oven. My VSO sent a huge packet of medical information about myoclonus with my claim to the RO. She is hoping that giving them as much literature about the disease and how it is a precursor symptom to more serious neurological disorders (or traumatic brain injury) will help make it clear to the rater. I'm sure it will be months before I get any word back but I'm hoping they will give me presumptive service connection for that along with sleeping disorders. I have two C&P exams coming up. One is for IU and one is a PTSD review (which is odd since they I just had a C&P for PTSD back in January and the RO wasted no time in giving me a SC rating of 70%).

If and when I get any word on their decision, I'll certainly post it here.

The cloneazepam that they give me, which they just doubled from 1mg to 2mg definitely helps control the twitching but it has the unpleasant side effect of leaving me groggy all day. I take the dose at bed time and when I wake up I'm pretty much a zombie for a couple of hours and its tough getting out of bed.

It seems with us GWV's that, since they have no idea what the underlying causes are, we can only play give and take with our treatment. One drug fixes this thing but screws up that thing, etc. I can't even count how many times my doc has changed my meds over the last year trying to get symptoms under control.

I know a Gulf War vet who has this problem, amongst others, and even the VA Dr who did his C&P noted it but did not diagnosis the Disorder by name. So then does the vet NOD for this disorder that you got an award for? So the answer to your post is NO not diagnosed but yes for the twitching.

I know a Gulf War vet who has this problem, amongst others, and even the VA Dr who did his C&P noted it but did not diagnosis the Disorder by name. So then does the vet NOD for this disorder that you got an award for? So the answer to your post is NO not diagnosed but yes for the twitching.

Just to be clear, I've filed for this but yet to have it sc'd or denied.

I would suggest the vet ask for a neurologist consult. I was not given a diagnosis until I saw a neurologist. My regular doc had no idea what was going on so she referred me on. I think asking for a diagnosis (and treatment) is not going to be out of line. Then once, and if, he gets the diagnosis, then he should either start a claim or submit a NOD depending on what he's already filed for.

I imagine if he files for just for "twitching" they are going to send him to another C&P exam. They are also going to look for history so if it was noted at his original C&P, he should have enough to tie it to a presumptive neurological disorder.

At least that's what I'm hoping for!