VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Diagnosed With Myoclonus (Body Twitching)?

Rate this question

sleeper692

Question

I've been telling my VA docs, including the doc in my initial C&P exam, that my arms and legs jerk and twitch uncontrollably. It feels like I am receiving an electrical shock that can travel through my whole body. This has been going on for 20 years. None of the docs ever took note or asked any questions to explore my complaint. In the last 6 months or so, the frequency and severity of the twitching has increased to the point that it is affecting my daily life. Imagine drinking hot coffee when your arm suddenly jerks, spilling hot coffee everywhere! Its also embarrassing being around other people when my body is flailing about for no reason.

I finally had a neurologist give me a diagnosis of myoclonus and has me on meds to hopefully control it. Yesterday I read an article about GWI that mentioned reports of GWV's reporting muscle twitching and jerking along with the usual symptoms. It was the first time I had read that association with GWI.

Are there any other Gulf War vets experiencing this muscle twitching?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to service connect the diagnosis of myoclonus under the current presumptives as a neurological condition. Anyone wiser than I have any educated opinions?

Thanks!!

Pete

Edited by sleeper692

I've been telling my VA docs, including the doc in my initial C&P exam, that my arms and legs jerk and twitch uncontrollably. It feels like I am receiving an electrical shock that can travel through my whole body. This has been going on for 20 years. None of the docs ever took note or asked any questions to explore my complaint. In the last 6 months or so, the frequency and severity of the twitching has increased to the point that it is affecting my daily life. Imagine drinking hot coffee when your arm suddenly jerks, spilling hot coffee everywhere! Its also embarrassing being around other people when my body is flailing about for no reason.

I finally had a neurologist give me a diagnosis of myoclonus and has me on meds to hopefully control it. Yesterday I read an article about GWI that mentioned reports of GWV's reporting muscle twitching and jerking along with the usual symptoms. It was the first time I had read that association with GWI.

Are there any other Gulf War vets experiencing this muscle twitching?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to service connect the diagnosis of myoclonus under the current presumptives as a neurological condition. Anyone wiser than I have any educated opinions?

Thanks!!

Pete

I have alot of twitching at night when I am trying to fall asleep-it is very annoying--I thought it was just me...hmm, did not know it was even called anything.

Portland, OR

I had hope that my claim would be processed soon but its since been kicked back to Development from the Decision Phase. I think the doc didn't quite answer all their questions during the C&P exam.

Sleeper - Which VARO are you filed with?

I was with my neuro doctor again, he put me through lots of tests, all over again, after taking some new meds,, it wore me out...

cloneazepam helps a bunch, proponolo (inderal) has limited success, but he is changing dose amounts, and I will find out what the new doses do... I still have not gotten a firm diagnoses. I am hoping an updated diagnoses comes before any more appeal stages. I feel I have enough evidence, but having a solid diagnosis would definitely help.

Edited by retiredat44

i am also a gulf war vet and the same happens to me once i am about to fall into sleep i kick so hard i wake the wife up, not very happy with me blush.gif.

i recenlty went to a sleep study they our calling it restless leg syndrome? The doctor gave me some pills and sent me on my way, the problem is the pills trigger my PTSD.

I don't want to be around my family or anyone else as far as that goes.

Just FYI: I received my decision letter today with my claim for myoclonus included. Not only did they deny service connection, they said that the condition was not disabling enough to merit any percentage. This denial is despite my diagnosis by my neurologist and the doc at my C&P exam as well as being on medication for treatment.

Bet your ass I'm appealing this one!

Pete