VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Georgia (Ga): Atlanta

I have found if you go to one of the other VSO, such as Conyers or Athens, that the wait is shorter. I admit, it took a long time, and patience is a virtue, however, we all procrastinated first putting in our claim, and the VA will take their time reviewing it. The key thing that I have learned it to keep your file active. Even if you do not receive a letter, once a month find some new supporting evidence and get it sent in. There was a gentleman in my same unit, had the same stressors, and experiences, we gave each other buddy letters to support our claims. I got my final decision over a year ago (it took a year to get it) and he has yet to get his. The difference is, I stayed on top of mine, got to be on first name basis with my VSO, had my evidence paperwork in order, written legibly, and documented, and he put his paper work in, and just sat back. My VSO originally told me that my "job" for the next six months is to do as much research, obtaining background information, contacting various resources for documents. I did just that, made it my job! It payed off. I am now receiving TDIU and SSD. It may take me 45 minutes to write my paragraph here because of my condition, but I refuse to give up. Good luck to all of you. Hang in there and be thorough in your evidence.

• 4 weeks later...

Moved from Orlando to just east of Atlanta. On Sept 14 I made journey to Atlanta VAMC on Clairmont. Was 4th car on Clairmont turning into parking lot.

Took me 1 hour and four minutes to wind my way waiting in the line to leave my car at the "complimentary valet parking" drop off spot in front. Transfer

of info at cubicle #1 went smooth although I didn't understand if it was a transfer why the forms since I had just renewed in July but then it is the VA.

Got a phone # to call to be assigned a team. When returned home I asked for Lawrenceville (only 17 miles) as opposed to Clairmont (31 miles) and got

appointment there in early November. For some things I may have to go to Clairmont but the parking situation can't be as bad (I hope) in Lawrenceville.

Stopped in the GA VA office there to ask a couple questions. Lady did not impress me, in fact she said some things that made me really question her

competence. Had thought of letting them take over my 2nd claim but now don't think so.

Was going over next door to VARO but with all the parking restrictions thought better of it. Besides pretty soon they may be calling me to come in for

a chat. Better that way than a "cold" call.

• 3 months later...

Well personally I have had a good experience with Atlanta Regional Office. I mean overall yes I have had to play the waiting game. Like any other regional office. But my claim has always been handled I thought in sufficient time. The longest I had to wait once was 18 months. The shortest I had to wait was 9 months. Every time I have had to call to check on claims they have been very professional, polite and helpful. No, it hasn't been easy but Atlanta Regional I think works hard and tries to get claims out as quickly as they can. Currently, I have an incompetent issue pending and I am working the appeal process. I just sent me stuff in and have more evidence to send in and I am sure it will be worked out. They are usually pretty fair and seem like they will give the veteran the benefit of the doubt if your claim is well founded and enough evidence is provided. So you have to make sure you develop your claim as much as you can before submitting it and it usually will cut down on some of the wait time. Just my opinion.....from a very competent veteran.

Well personally I have had a good experience with Atlanta Regional Office. I mean overall yes I have had to play the waiting game. Like any other regional office. But my claim has always been handled I thought in sufficient time. The longest I had to wait once was 18 months. The shortest I had to wait was 9 months. Every time I have had to call to check on claims they have been very professional, polite and helpful. No, it hasn't been easy but Atlanta Regional I think works hard and tries to get claims out as quickly as they can. Currently, I have an incompetent issue pending and I am working the appeal process. I just sent me stuff in and have more evidence to send in and I am sure it will be worked out. They are usually pretty fair and seem like they will give the veteran the benefit of the doubt if your claim is well founded and enough evidence is provided. So you have to make sure you develop your claim as much as you can before submitting it and it usually will cut down on some of the wait time. Just my opinion.....from a very competent veteran.

Well Michellee, i am glad that you think Atlanta Regional Office is good. I have been waiting on a decision since sep 2010. I have never waited this long and it is still in the decision stage. but I will continue to wait and pray that I have a great outcome. I am 70% and trying to get to a 100 percent

Reddit

• 2 months later...

I have been waiting since feb 2011 and just two weeks ago they did my c&p on things I have been asking about since I filled my claim I mean come on it takes a year for you to say hey you need this and that when I have been calling and asking about this or that and was being told you dont need so now being that I am 12 or 13 months into they say wait you do need this or that so yes I think the people up there are a joke they dont wanna help you because they dont know how all I want is for my claim to move on to the next step.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use