VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Kansas (Ks): Wichita

• HadIt.com Elder

Wichita Regional Office

This topic was created to try to help veterans who use this regional office. It is designed to offer a way for them to possibly help each other or band together to possibly get services improved.

When commenting in this topic, please try to do so constructively.

1. Mention reason for interacting with this regional office;

2. Give your pro/con on this interaction;

3. Without betraying private information, try to offer information or warnings that might be helpful to others when dealing with this office.

4. Please do not give names, phone numbers or addresses of specific persons at this office. If you do so, the post will be deleted.

• 1 year later...

OK... I go to the Topeka VA Med Center and talk to quite a few people there, as well as representatives from the American Legion. The word is that Wichita sucks! Now I don't mean to be negative, but expect to have to do your work.

Nothing will happen automatically or fast... but on the other hand, personally, I did get proper response out of them.

I filed early 2011 (mostly PTSD) and waited for about 8-9 months, while sending in more information as I learned what was required. Then I wrote a letter asking to be considered a "hardship" case (bankruptcy and foreclosure, living with someone else, no funds, etc.) which they acknowledged, but not much happened. As one year approached, I wrote further letters "reminding" them of my case. They did make a decision and I was denied one year after initial claim... due to the rater apparently not even reading anything very closely.)

I requested a "reconsideration" based on advice from some good reps at American Legion here in Kansas. This was sent in February of 2012. Watching ebenefits, my claim finally began moving by June and July. On first of August I was awarded 100% permanent and total. All in all, this is not a bad performance level for VAROs.

I know the error rate is something like 20-30% for most VAROs, but try to remember that 70-80% of the time they DO get it right and come through for the vets. Sucks, but keep the faith and hang in there.

Get your facts straight, get all the documentation you can, get "buddy letters" if possible, and send very full information about everything. It helps a lot to have someone else help you organize. DO NOT turn over responsibility to someone else and forget it. You have to do your part, or have someone close to you help if you can't do this yourself. You have to stay on it. Remember that you deserve this for service you gave to your country. It is their system, set up this way... make it work for you.

The system DOES work in most cases... it just takes longer than it should. Keep the Faith!

Edited by midnight340

• 1 year later...

Anyone else have a claim working at the Wichita RO? Filed my claim in April 13, just had my C&P's last month (January 14ish), and went to Prep for Decision on January 23rd. No movement yet...Not complaining because hopefully I am close, however I am coming up within DAYS of the average claim time for this RO. Average time is 312 days...I'm at 309. Crossing my fingers.

Thanks midnight! I had a "requested evidence is past due" show up on Ebennies around the first of Feb, so I sent an IRIS to make sure they received my C&P's from January and they said they have...Peggy told me the same thing. Hoping, hoping, hoping... :)

• 1 year later...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use