VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lower Back - Degenerative Disc Disease

Rate this question

goin2pa

Question

Like many, I've suffered lower back problems for years and have received PT, MRI and lots of drugs over the years while active duty. I retired with 27 years active duty (AD) last year. I recently received a copy of my C & P exam from Sept 2010. While AD I was always told that the pain in my LB is caused by "Bulging Disc" at L4/L5 and the sporadic pain and follow-on numbness down my right leg is Sciatica. But the C & P calls it Degenerative Disc Disease instead. <BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

My question is – does the VA look at long-term chronic pain when judging for award or only range of motion on that one particular day of the C & P? My range of motion is stricly determined by my level of pain . . . on C & P day it was minor, and I had full ROM.

Thanks in advance - Jim

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The day of my C & P was a great day, I felt good . . . I didn’t lie or embellish the way I felt – but did explain that it was a good day, and that I had been on terminal leave for a considerable period of time, so I naturally felt better as I hadn’t been doing much. Of course none of that was in the remarks.

Thanks again – Jim

ROM on the day of. The usual canard is to approach the C&P as if it was your worst day, or, a bit more drastic, don't medicate for a few days prior.

CAS

The day of my C & P was a great day, I felt good . . . I didn't lie or embellish the way I felt – but did explain that it was a good day, and that I had been on terminal leave for a considerable period of time, so I naturally felt better as I hadn't been doing much. Of course none of that was in the remarks.

Thanks again – Jim

I just retired from the Air Force after 26 years on 31 Dec 2010. I've had two back surgeries while on active duty for L-5-S1 decompressive laminectomics & microdiscectomy at Bethesda Medical Center, Bethesda Maryland. (Dec 2001) & L5-S1 redo discectomy Nov 2010. My C&P exams were conducted Aug& Sept 2010.

During physical therapy Feb 2011, I experienced shooting pains from my lower back & buttocks down my left & right legs. 02 Mar 2011, I was treated in the emergency room for chronic back pains & given Percocet's. 19 Mar 2011, Ihad an MRI, & the results were forward to my Neurosurgeon. 21 Mar 2011, treated for lower back pain in the emergency room & given Neurontin.

07 April 2011, I received my MRI results from my Neurosurgeon, recurrent left L5-S1 disc protrusion, central broad-based L5-S1 disc protrusion, L5-S1 lateral recessstenosis, right L5-S1 neural foraminal disc protrusion with questionable involvement of the right L5 nerve root. There is also a right L4-5 neuralforaminal disc protrusion with questionable involvement of the right L4 nerveroot. There is also left L4-5 neural foraminal and proximal far-lateral discprotrusion with involvement of the ventral aspect of the left L4 nerve root.There is also a left L5-S1 neural foraminal disc bulge/protrusion.

07 June2011, I received the brown envelope from the VA 80% disability

50% Sleep Apnea,

20% IVDSdegenerative arthritis changes, thoracolumbar spine, lower back, status postsurgery

10%Patellofemoral syndrome, left knee condition with osteoarthritis

10%Residuals right ankle fracture with brace, inserts, degeneration and torn ligaments

10%Tinnitus

10% Boweldysfunction associated with IVDS with degenerative arthritis changes,thoracolumbar spine

Statement also attached from the VA: We have reviewed your records and they suggest you may be entitled to additional benefits. We first need a claim from you or your representative. Please tell us on the enclosed Statement In Support of Claim (VA Form 21-4138) that you want to file a claim for degenerative changes of the left hip and DJD, right knee and bilateral pes planus, plantar fasciitis and hallux valgus.

09 Jun 2011, I filed a VA Form 21-4138, for reconsideration of rating decision of thoracolumbar IVDS and TMJ, status post surgical repair (claimed as dental surgery x 2/hardware and Individual Unemployability. Per the DAV, I'm also entitled to service connection for DJD left hip, DJD right knee, B/L plantar fasciitis,B/L pes planus and B/L hallux valgus.

21 & 23 June 2011, back in emergency room & treated for Lumbar disc herniation with radiculopathy, stenosis of lumbosacral spine & osteoarthritis of the knees. 12 Jul 2011, myelogram & CT scan revealed 3 herinated disc's with bone spurs. My next appointment with my Neurosurgeon is schedule for 3 Aug 2011& Orthopedic surgeon appointment, 10 Aug 2011. My back isn't getting any better & knees are always buckling. Good luck with your claim.

Edited by Big Mac

Wow a 6 month turn-around time on your claim - Good For You . . . I've heard most take longer. I guess your medical stuff was very well documented.

I retired last Sept, and other than a couple of letters stating that the VA is working my claim I've recieved no correspondance at all.

Hope you can get better with PT and BE CAREFULL!!!!

Jim