VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange Linked To Brain Aneurysms

Rate this question

RachelBallinger

Question

My father was in the navy for 13 years starting in 1969. He was a hospital corpsman for the U.S. Navy in Vietnam. He went to boot camp in San Diego. He spent time in Charleston, S.C., in the pediatric and orthopedic wards; and in Albany, Ga., at the Marine Corp Supply Center. He was part of NATO forces in Naples, Italy. He was in Jacksonville, Fla., and on the USS Saratoga in the Mediterranean Sea. He was discharged in 1981.

He died of a brain aneurysm in 2001 when I was 9 years old, leaving only me and my mother. We have been told that there is no military Benifits that I could get for college, I am now 18 years old and will be attending New Mexico Military Insitute this Fall and im still looking for anything that can help with college.

Does anyone know of anyone I could get ahold of or have had to go threw the same thing and could help me. It would be greatly appreaciated. Thank You.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I know of three  young Vietnamese here in the US who were in Vietnam during the war or their parents were there who have died from a  brain aneurysm.   I wonder if there are any  other  American veterans who have suffered the same fate.

• HadIt.com Elder

All Agent Orange Claims are called Presumption Claims 

Unfortunately'' Brain Aneurysm'' Are not on the A.O. List at this time.

Welcome to Hadit.com

Your profile shows 100 percent service connected.

Was your father in receipt of veterans disability benefits from the VA.

Is your Mom getting and compensation benefits from the VA ?

Your mother would have to file a DIC claim for a finding of direct service connected death, in order for you to potentially be eligible for DEA (Chap 35 ) educational benefits.

The brain aneurism is not a presumptive Agent Orange disability but could have been caused by an AO disability.

If there is strong medical evidence ( these claims usually take getting an IMO) for any Agent Orange condition your father had-causing the aneurism, then there would be good chance for DIC and an award of the educational dependents benefits.

The AO presumptives are in our AO forum here and much DIC info is in our DIC forum.

When Direct SC death is awarded they will pay retroactive DEA benefits in some cases.