VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I Change Va Hospitals?

Rate this question

11B1P

Question

MY FIRST TIME POSTING! I'm in NC and I'm about the same distance to Fayetteville as to Durham. Both cities have VA hospitals, but I can only go to Fayettville. I am a vietman vet, at 60 percent and I receive medical care for AO related cancer surgery. From what I've been able to research and observe, Fayetteville is poorly rated as far as its quality of healthcare. I have been told I cannot change locations. Is this true? If I can, how do I go about it? Thank you--

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't knpw the rules about it but I live 10 miles from Dorn VA in Columbia and I still go to Charlie Norwood in Augusta Ga 70 miles away I don't ask for travel pay as I choose to do this but I have excellent doctors in Augusta and I hated all the docs I met when I tried to chage to Dorn they were rude, wanted to cut medications for no reason, one doc told me if I didn't let them to a heart cath on me all I would ever get from them again was an aspirin I asked them to get a copy of the heart cath Augusta had done on me the month before and I was not real keen on having anyone poking around in my heart I have only one good artery left so I quit trying to get my appts at Dorn and I just keep all my appts in Augusta no one has never told me I can't do it

MY FIRST TIME POSTING! I'm in NC and I'm about the same distance to Fayetteville as to Durham. Both cities have VA hospitals, but I can only go to Fayettville. I am a vietman vet, at 60 percent and I receive medical care for AO related cancer surgery. From what I've been able to research and observe, Fayetteville is poorly rated as far as its quality of healthcare. I have been told I cannot change locations. Is this true? If I can, how do I go about it? Thank you--

Like Testvet stated there is no rules against changing VAMCs.Each hospital has certain ways and procedures they prefer.Like Testvet, my previous VAMC would not change my medications no matter what.Now they had better all around programs than my current hospital. But my current health program was a life and death situation that required a med change. So I moved, the VAMC changed my meds and my health in that area is better.But my latest VAMC have no cardiologist on staff. So it's sort of a pain we are forced to put up with. I will have to move again if I choose to better my health at the bigger hospital.Unfortunately my two VAMCs are 500 miles apart. So unless it's a specialized treatment that you require and both hospitals don't have it available, the choice is up to you where you go.I only recommend that you get the last couple of years records before you move and give the new hospital a copy. That way they can immediately continue your treatments.Even umongst themselves they are slow to get records from each other.Good luck with what ever way YOU CHOOSE to go.Mike

I want to move, when I get my appeals through I want to move to a smaller community away from the city,, and need to be close to a VA hospital... about one hour away will be ok... but I don't know which hopitals have the care I am used to in San Diego... I would like to move into the Pacific Northwest... so I guess my choices are Oregon, Washington, Nevada,, etc... I just want cooler weather and slow lifestyle, for my last few remaining years... I need to find out if they all offer the same care I need.. my needs are mostly Intestinal disease, pain, spine... neurology.. eyes... I need to leave the crazy lunatic rat race...

I know there are direcotires with locations shwoing where the VA clinics and hospitals are,, just not sure if they all have the same care...

one thing about San Diego VA, they share doctors with University of California San Diego Medical center ..

some of my doctors work at both...

specialities they are in: intestinal diseases, pancreas disease, liver disease..

I want to move, when I get my appeals through I want to move to a smaller community away from the city,, and need to be close to a VA hospital... about one hour away will be ok... but I don't know which hopitals have the care I am used to in San Diego... I would like to move into the Pacific Northwest... so I guess my choices are Oregon, Washington, Nevada,, etc... I just want cooler weather and slow lifestyle, for my last few remaining years... I need to find out if they all offer the same care I need.. my needs are mostly Intestinal disease, pain, spine... neurology.. eyes... I need to leave the crazy lunatic rat race...

I know there are direcotires with locations shwoing where the VA clinics and hospitals are,, just not sure if they all have the same care...

one thing about San Diego VA, they share doctors with University of California San Diego Medical center ..

some of my doctors work at both...

specialities they are in: intestinal diseases, pancreas disease, liver disease..

The Portland VAMC works with the Oregon Health and Science University ( they share the same pill hill) they do alot of research and transplants in the areas you mentioned and more.The only problem is that they are a full service hospital which means they treat every Vet whether they have just a cold or a life threatening issue. So they are always busy.Portland is far from being a small town. Check out the web site Aspire that someone just posted recently on this site. It is for comparing the different hospitals against each other.It will show their ratings, problems and areas that they specialize in. The OIG site is good for checking out some of the smaller VAMC like White City,oregon, Walla Walla washington and how they did on their inspections. Only info not available to us is their screwups, we could use that against them.lol Boise is the only one that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.They have down sized so much, I don't know what they treat anymore, but azzholes by azzholes.They pump out alot of colonoscopies. No cardiologist,they just retired my ex primary who was their last internalist. They got into big trouble a few years ago in their prostectics dept. So they have to go outside the system if you need anything. They deny most things and the stuff they approve takes forever to get. As soon as my claim gets finished, I'm moving back to Portland area.Just don't let them mess with your meds.They have had to many people abuse them and kill them selves and now their afraid to prescribe anything.mike

thanks for all the replies so far-but i'm still uncertain as to if I can switch VMAC'c without authority. I asked at a local va clinic, and they said no! I could only change if there was a specialty I needed that was not available at Fayetteville. Has anyone ever changed VMAC's just because they felt it would provide better healthcare? I appreciate any responses.

thanks for all the replies so far-but i'm still uncertain as to if I can switch VMAC'c without authority. I asked at a local va clinic, and they said no! I could only change if there was a specialty I needed that was not available at Fayetteville. Has anyone ever changed VMAC's just because they felt it would provide better healthcare? I appreciate any responses.

VA Health Eligibility Home

Might be an answer here:

http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/

OR - Ask VA a question by computer

https://iris.custhelp.com/