VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Glaucoma

Rate this question

army26

Question

I was diagnosted with Glaucoma this week and the Doc. put me on medication and from what I read that there is no cure for this disease. I would like to know if anyone knows if there is any other disease or health issues that may be secondary to Glaucoma? I got out of the Military in 2004 with a 20/50 vision in my health records do you think this would be a service connected disability?:unsure:

Edited by army26

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

update with glaucoma... the eye drops latranopost and timonol (drops) both did not help (as much as they wanted).... they are going to prescribe me a more aggressive type of eye drop for the disease... they said it still is in the early stages.... not sure if I can see a difference, as the same eye has cataracts also. To me it looks like is has a more narrow field of view. The tests also show what I feel. Since I am already very sick from other issues, it is another big problem on top of all other issues I health issues I have....

Of course it could be service connected, but it can also be "age related". If you apply for benefits for it, the VA will likely do a C and P exam, and the examiner will offer a medical opinion as to whether or not "the Veterans glaucoma is at least as likely as not due to ....event in military service."

Glaucoma can be serious and I would apply right away. Since it sounds like you are already SC, then you can ask for an "increase" for glaucoma. While I am not an expert on the causes of glaucoma, what really matters is if your doc thinks the military caused it.

Go for it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. Most of the time glaucoma can be treated with the eye drops. The main thing is to keep normal pressure. They also have laser treatment and surgery. Be sure and use your medication.

I was diagnosted with Glaucoma this week and the Doc. put me on medication and from what I read that there is no cure for this disease. I would like to know if anyone knows if there is any other disease or health issues that may be secondary to Glaucoma? I got out of the Military in 2004 with a 20/50 vision in my health records do you think this would be a service connected disability?:unsure:

I was diagnosed with Glaucoma also, a few months back, in a couple weeks they are going to use a special 3D eye camera, then start treatment... since I have pancreas disease I bet they are related... but already have 6 items on appeals.. I am so angry with the appeal BS they are putting me through I will defintely file for more claims once these get finished, if I live long enough, I will flood the CrAp out of the VA with claims for pizzing me off even more...

(my eye diseases: Glaucoma, Cataracts, and Choroidal nevus)

Right eye cataract was removed a couple years ago... Nevus is in right eye, Glaucoma and Cataract are in left eye..

Edited by retiredat44

It seems like I recall reading that glaucoma can be secondary to diabetes. Are you diabetic? By the way, welcome to hadit.

In 2009 The VA Doc said that my reegular Glucosse test came out normal but AB1AC test was adnormal showing that I was a border line Diabetic. Since the Doc never told me that I have sugar or not, I am requesting another test, to make sure it is not there. I know that I feel tired and worn down even after getting a good night sleep. After being up for 5-6 hours I get really sleepy this is out of the norm for me.

Glad to be aboard hadit again :biggrin: .

Edited by army26