VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Purple Heart For Ptsd

Rate this question

judymb711

Question

Hi everyone. I am the daughter of a deceased WWI vet. I have been trying for 30 years to obtain the Purple Heart for injuries he sustained as a POW. I have been continually turned down because I cannot produce a doctors statement of injuries. Well, I don't think he was treated by a Nazi doctor. I have produced everything else, including witness statements, but no luck, in fact they told me not to bother to reapply. I thought I remembered reading that they had changed the criteria for awarding the medal to veterans with PTSD just this September, but I cannot find a definitive answer after 3 days of searching. I have a paper that states he was declared 30% disabled due to a "nervous condition" and I have a psychiatrist report that describes him post-war as being nervous, pacing, cannot be in a confined space, cannot ride in a car without driving himself, etc. Can anyone tell me if they did change the criteria to include PTSD for the Purple Heart or not?

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

From Harlan County, but live in San Antonio, Texas. If, these two Congress people would not help, I hope they are no longer in office. I would check with your two Senators. Do not give up. Have you requested or researched the National Archives web-site?

Papa

Papa, I am from Kentucky. I have had 2 congressmen work on my behalf. No go. I am reapplying, and how I am going about it this time is to take the rule that a prisoner of war injured during capture is eligible without a medical statement...the statement of a cellmate is all that is needed in that instance. Since he was captured immediately after his parachute landed, I think that you could say his injury happened during capture. Injury during a parachute landing is specifically addressed in the rules of eligibility and I have the eyewitness statement . I also remind them that the rules also state "Commanders must also take into consideration the circumstances surrounding the injury." We will see. I don't think I can take another denial. I promised my mother I would get this, and she died in 2009, and I am losing my eyesight and I want to see them pin that medal on his tunic. I am applying to HRC this time, hoping they might use more common sense.

From Harlan County, but live in San Antonio, Texas. If, these two Congress people would not help, I hope they are no longer in office. I would check with your two Senators. Do not give up. Have you requested or researched the National Archives web-site?

Papa

Harlan County. Do you watch "Justified"?

The Purple Heart is the only medal that cannot be recommended, eligibility (meeting all the criteria) is the only thing that can do it. I have gotten everything from the National Archives. I have gotten everything there is to get. I even have the microfishe from the German records.

Yes, I watch Justified, good show.

Papa

Harlan County. Do you watch "Justified"?

The Purple Heart is the only medal that cannot be recommended, eligibility (meeting all the criteria) is the only thing that can do it. I have gotten everything from the National Archives. I have gotten everything there is to get. I even have the microfishe from the German records.