VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Respiratory Disability To Include Asthma And Copd

Rate this question

ammodad

Question

my question is will they rate them both as one claim or separately because they both are separately diseases found out they have remanded the sinusitis but are going ahead and rating the asbestos exposure for the copd and asthma i could have sworn the guy at va told me they were counting them both as one or rating them both as one is that possible or will they both be rated separately is there any way to find out when asking them at the va they suddenly get forgetful or their computers are down and they can only see what you just mentioned.

and in the event they do rate them both as one how would they decide the percentage i know whey have a rating procedure they use or a way of doing things

Edited by ammodad

They COPD and Asthma, I believe will be rated as one under

Respiratory.

They should apply the medical evidence of record to the diagnostic code

in the schedule that will provide the highest rating per the medical evidence.

JMHO

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=a38557b7a2cd96d2ba7924852468ed7b&rgn=div8&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5.2.102.46&idno=38

They COPD and Asthma, I believe will be rated as one under

Respiratory.

They should apply the medical evidence of record to the diagnostic code

in the schedule that will provide the highest rating per the medical evidence.

JMHO

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=a38557b7a2cd96d2ba7924852468ed7b&rgn=div8&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5.2.102.46&idno=38

thank you for your response to my post it helped me understand it allot better and the link helped me as well i am presently rated at 60% i had and initial 20% they awarded me 50% for sleep apnea. they said they saw granduloma in the right helium and infiltrates this is along with the history copd , dyspnnea and asthma from looking at the chart it could go either way either the 60 or 100 {6602 Asthma, bronchial)6604 Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)with the 60 i already have what would that take me to and by chance i get the 100 how would i figure that and what would that be haven't wrapped my head around that Chinese math yet i am sorry to seem to be asking you so many question do you get tired of ppl picking through your brain ???

if your already rated at 50% for sleep apnea ... your not going to get another rating for asthma and copd. You will get one rating for all three

Rating coexisting respiratory conditions. Ratings under diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 and 6822 through 6847 will not be combined with each other. Where there is lung or pleural involvement, ratings under diagnostic codes 6819 and 6820 will not be combined with each other or with diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 or 6822 through 6847. A single rating will be assigned under the diagnostic code which reflects the predominant disability with elevation to the next higher evaluation where the severity of the overall disability warrants such elevation.

ratings are listed here:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=c130ec487ea61b8a40ad0836188b94bc&rgn=div5&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5&idno=38#38:1.0.1.1.5.2.102.46

if your already rated at 50% for sleep apnea ... your not going to get another rating for asthma and copd. You will get one rating for all three

Rating coexisting respiratory conditions. Ratings under diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 and 6822 through 6847 will not be combined with each other. Where there is lung or pleural involvement, ratings under diagnostic codes 6819 and 6820 will not be combined with each other or with diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 or 6822 through 6847. A single rating will be assigned under the diagnostic code which reflects the predominant disability with elevation to the next higher evaluation where the severity of the overall disability warrants such elevation.

ratings are listed here:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=c130ec487ea61b8a40ad0836188b94bc&rgn=div5&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5&idno=38#38:1.0.1.1.5.2.102.46

ok i think i understand what your saying, but i am at 60% not 50% i had a previous rating at 20% and was awarded 50% for sleep apnea which took me to 60%now if i understand you correctly me being at 60% they aren't gonna rate my claims individually they are gonna rate them as one adding them to the 60% i already have and following the rating table they will rate it to the next highest int he category that reflects the medical evidence, which means what, whats the next possible rating for a person more than likely doomed to die sucking on oxygen tanks waiting to drown in my own juices .. not taking it out on you and not trying to give you a hard time brother just gets frustrating some times how do you place a value on a life and why do we have to be staring at death before they see us ????????????thanks for your advice and have a blessed day

ok i think i understand what your saying, but i am at 60% not 50% i had a previous rating at 20% and was awarded 50% for sleep apnea which took me to 60%now if i understand you correctly me being at 60% they aren't gonna rate my claims individually they are gonna rate them as one adding them to the 60% i already have and following the rating table they will rate it to the next highest int he category that reflects the medical evidence, which means what, whats the next possible rating for a person more than likely doomed to die sucking on oxygen tanks waiting to drown in my own juices .. not taking it out on you and not trying to give you a hard time brother just gets frustrating some times how do you place a value on a life and why do we have to be staring at death before they see us ????????????thanks for your advice and have a blessed day

Hey, I know where you are coming from I am rated for asthma/COPD at 100% due to oxygen use, I also have sleep apnea that I haven't even request service connection for... If your rated for the asthma/copd and on oxygen you will be bumped up to 100%.

best of luck.....

• HadIt.com Elder

Your rating will be based on your results of a PFT.

To get 100 percent you need real low PFT readings or Be on 02 or Right side Heart Failure (Cor Pumonole) or Pulmonary HTN and I promise you Brother you dont want the last 2 conditions.

Basser