VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Narcotic Pain Meds

Rate this topic

Hello everyone,just got back from primary doctor from private practice new rule starting now you much sign paper to be drug tested for anyone

on narcotic pain meds at any time to get your medicine refill. If your test is positive for anything alcohol,mariquana,crack, or what ever, dr told me

you get no refills and also get put out of this practice or doctor office. So get ready he said this is everywhere. What else can they do to a man who is

too disable to work or have any kind of life but pain & meds. Take a drug test any drugs or alcohol no meds. Only in america.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This doc told you BS !

Maybe in HIS PRIVATE PRACTICE, which he has control over

but there is no new law about this.

Last time I checked alcohol was legal and if of age - so is consuming it.

If I live in Mendocino County, Cali. and have a RX for Medical Marijuana

I'm covered on that.

This might be YOUR PRIVATE PRACTICE doctors rule - but it is not a law.

Carlie, i hope you are right on this one but I just dont know until Monday when I call & ask is this just his office but I have been

talking with some people getting SSDI and they said they been told the same thing about narcotics prescription refills just like

va pain mangement hell they wanted to test me today for my fentanyl,hydrocodone prescription.Those two i have to have. I dont drink

but I do smoke and I will tell them this I take too much medicine to drink & I'm not trying to be a saint but if this is correct I have no other

choice. I'm worried cause i need my medicine and VA has already started this my pcp at va told me it will be best to get my meds from private dr

because of this same reason now private dr doing same thing. Fentanyl hydrocodone i have been on this 8 years and now they start their *hit.

Time to go to Salibury,NC to dry out I guess or find another dr or dont know or aybe move to a different state. He did say this is a trial of this and next year

it probably be mandatory for all narcotic prescriptions. Not law yet 'i guess' but if i had not just had all my teeth pull i would have done drug test today for meds.

they felt sorry :blush: but be ready next month for sure. Just a head up to everyone thats all I'm saying

Edited by tmoe

• HadIt.com Elder

In private practice it depends on which state you live in as to the rules for narcotic prescriptions. The VA has had vets sign a agreement when they get pain meds via the VA. At my VAMC I must sign an agreement to get on opiate program, so I can get my drugs without going for an exam every month. They do random urine tests on me when I go to the VA. It may be, in fact, easier to get these drugs via the VA than from private doctors. However, I never get my drugs on the same date each month. I get percoset and fentanyl patches. I have never had a "Hot" urine test for anything illegal but I still get the third degree after 10 years. Florida where I live is harassing pain doctors and patients along with the bad doctors and drug addicts.

john999, its getting worst no better,had a talk with nurse today and was told this was started in Dec 1,2011 & it is random test and is up to DR

as to what can be done .Crack down on meds to make sure you are taking & not selling your drugs. Postive test no meds and out the program

for anything thats not suppose to be in your system. Its hard to got to another dr & ask them for narcotic prescriptions on a regular basic without

further testing or to start back over.Can only use one pharmacist and only one dr giving you narcotic all in the contract you sign. You dont sign

the contract no meds. ITS GETTING ROUGH and if you have a dr that helping you its better to stay with this dr but finding another dr is hell.

• HadIt.com Elder

My private HMO Doc is tougher about Hydrocodone than my VA PCP. I don't have a contract but the VA Pharmacy always plays me with delivery. This months scriot is late again naturally.

I hate VA Meds by Mail and now the Post Office is talking about worse service. I am requesting that VA send my Meds by UPS Brown or Fed Ex the mail sucks right now.