VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Not Sure

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

The regs state total plus 60.

The give it to veterans who meet certain criteria like IU and an additional 60 percent.

That means that you are not 100 percent but are getting paid like you were along with the other benefits of being 100 percent.

With IU you still get the "old are you working form" each and every year to fill out. (What a headache to deal with)

Here is some added input:

(i) Total plus 60 percent, or housebound; 38 U.S.C. 1114(s). The special monthly compensation provided by 38 U.S.C. 1114(s) is payable where the veteran has a single service-connected disability rated as 100 percent and:

(1) Has additional service-connected disability or disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent, separate and distinct from the 100 percent service-connected disability and involving different anatomical segments or bodily systems, or

(2) Is permanently housebound by reason of service-connected disability or disabilities. This requirement is met when the veteran is substantially confined as a direct result of service-connected disabilities to his or her dwelling and the immediate premises or, if institutionalized, to the ward or clinical areas, and it is reasonably certain that the disability or disabilities and resultant confinement will continue throughout his or her lifetime

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The regs state total plus 60.

The give it to veterans who meet certain criteria like IU and an additional 60 percent.

That means that you are not 100 percent but are getting paid like you were along with the other benefits of being 100 percent.

With IU you still get the "old are you working form" each and every year to fill out. (What a headache to deal with)

Here is some added input:

(i) Total plus 60 percent, or housebound; 38 U.S.C. 1114(s). The special monthly compensation provided by 38 U.S.C. 1114(s) is payable where the veteran has a single service-connected disability rated as 100 percent and:

(1) Has additional service-connected disability or disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent, separate and distinct from the 100 percent service-connected disability and involving different anatomical segments or bodily systems, or

(2) Is permanently housebound by reason of service-connected disability or disabilities. This requirement is met when the veteran is substantially confined as a direct result of service-connected disabilities to his or her dwelling and the immediate premises or, if institutionalized, to the ward or clinical areas, and it is reasonably certain that the disability or disabilities and resultant confinement will continue throughout his or her lifetime

How do I apply? I am 100% P&T included in that is 60% for failed total knee replacement

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you sure? What is your monthly comp? It is OK to PM that to me if you want privacy.

How long have you had the 60?

If you are not getting it, Do this.

Fill out a form 21-4138. Copy the regs and write this.

I am a 100 percent P and T vet with an additional 60 percent disability.

Why did the VA not award me SMC S when I became eligible?

This is a CUE as the VA is supposed to consider this when you get the 60 percent.

Easy CUE. When they awarded the claim, they misapplied the rating schedule by not using the regulations governing Special Monthly Compensation.

38 USC 11114 (S)

Basser

How do I apply? I am 100% P&T included in that is 60% for failed total knee replacement

Being 100% P&T - and INCLUDED IN THAT IS 60% for failed total knee replacement

does not meet the criteria for total - plus 60 percent.

That's a completely different situation than the criteria of the regs for HB / SMCS.