This eBook will teach you how to get C-Files (paper and electronic) from the VA Regional Office.
How to Get your VA C-File

• Topics

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Exams during flare up?
      i found this online. Is this what you are referring to? http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/kneeandleg.html
    • Sleep Apnea Claim
      All, thanks for your comments and thanks in advance for comments to come. I received the Development Letter dated May 22. It was essentially a form letter that I expect has been sent to everyone submitting a claim. A check in the box. On a personal note, the CPAP machine takes some getting used to. Strange noises!  It's hard to get a seal without gurring down on the straps. When I do, it gets claustrophobic. Whining over. If there is anyone with apnea experience, I have one question that I can't find in my research. Is 50% and 100% the only rating you can get or can someone be rated somewhere in between?
    • C&P Exams Results
      What type of increase do you think I will get? I am currently rated at 10% for Back, sciatica and depression. I have applied for an increase and unempoyability, C&P Exam.pdf
    • 70% Ptsd Denied Iu
      I got the exact same reason for being denied my IU. They said since I play video games, I can get a job, LMAO. I'm sorry, but playing video games is the only thing holding me together and keeping me away from the pipe and the needle. WTF? I'm on SSDI, and with my 50% VA SC, I'm barely supporting my family of 3. I can't work because my anxiety and panic attacks, not to mention that I get little to no sleep at night. I'm appealing, but who knows how long it will take to get an answer. I'm hoping that I can get the IU, my teeth are falling out and rapidly decaying due to constant dry mouth from PTSD Meds and Methadone. I can't afford to go to the dentist at the moment and VA only covers you if you are 100% SC.
    • Assistance With Sleep Apnea Claim
      What SA DX do you have, OSA, CSA or MSA? When exactly did you receive the Official DX? As to filing for SA as Secondary to a SC Condition, rather than a Direct SC itself, the existing SC must be in place and Awarded, prior to the SA DX. As for the Direct SC, very difficult without in service DX or Treatment of Sleep issues records backing up your claim. Snoring, in and of itself, won't seal the SA Deal. Look at the list (about 10 or 12 usual suspects) that most Drs consider to be the accepted primary causes  of SA. How do you stack up? Semper Fi
      @Fat It actually seems to be a slam dunk, Im under a year separated, and 5 of my buddies had the sleep test done before they got out, 4 of them had sleep apnea, they all got 50%. Obviously I don't know whats in their medical records, but it seems like just having sleep apnea is a slam dunk. His issue is its been almost 10 years now since he separated, thats gonna be hard to prove. Im going to see a sleep doctor on tuesday, my symptoms seem like sleep apnea, but I'm not sure, my year out point is ness than 20 days, and I have a c&p Thursday, so I probably won't get the results by then. 
      Sleep Apnea is not the fabled Loch Ness Monster we make it to be. Its like any other claim. Medical evidence and sound acceptable principles must apply. Remember sleep apnea is obstruction of the upper and lower airway which culminates in disruptive breathing during sleep. If you are claiming OSA secondarily, then the issue has to have a causative relationship with the service connected issue. Service connected upper respiratory issues inflame, swell, and narrow upper airway passages thus making it harder to take in air in the upper and lower airways. No doctor can 100% say the upper respiratory issues caused sleep apnea; however they can say there is a causative relationship and the constant airway obstruction aggravates/exasperates the onset of OSA to a detrimental point.  Normally, once anatomical reasons are addressed, respiratory issues are key factors in the aggravation and development of apnea.
      Fight it man, I'm sure you'll get approved eventually. If you were under a year out, would they still give you these issues?
    • VSO
      Every veteran should be there biggest advocate period. Knowing the process better, I would have done things different, but no crying over what I didn't know. Good medical records is the first step and careful identifying of injuries/sickness on active duty is next. If an issue is still ongoing, get the issue verified by a physician and then you are ready to speak with a VSO. Often veterans show up to a VSO's office and don't realize the full extent of the process. The process is very tedious, but once you get more into the process, its fun.  And you learn a lot about process and medical evidence.  
    • Exams during flare up?
      To me it reads like your in line for an increase, however, I am not a rater and it is purely JMO. I started with 0 on both knees and appealed to get to 10% bilateral, I am still in appeals to go for a 20% on the right knee because of the laxity and crepitus of that joint.  I am going for this rating because I have an independent medical opinion to substantiate such rating.  Without an objective medical examination it will be difficult to go much higher.  Read the ratings criteria in the eCFRs under the knee joint and you will have a clearer picture of what is needed.  I stress you must have the medical evidence to warrant the higher rating.

• HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran providing FREE information and community to veterans since 1997.

I am proud that I've been able to offer all that HadIt.com has for free for 19 years and continue to do so. HadIt.com does accept contributions to help with costs we also offer paid ad free subscriptions. None of the paid options are required. The forum, the website, news site and podcast are free and will remain so. If you choose to support the site with a contribution or a subscription it is appreciated but never required. If you choose to make a contribution or purchase an ad free subscription, you can do so here. 

StrikeZ

Taxes

5 posts in this topic

Yet another negative impact on the servicemenber caused by the VA incompetence. So my retirement year (2011) I could best benefit from a tax break, but it will not happen. The year I will not need the tax reducuction, I will get it? This will cost me close to 2,000 in taxes

How does the tax situation work out when the of VA's average 200 day disablity review roll from one year to another. Do I have to refile or just claim the benefit in the year payment is received. I am already losing state and federal employment benefits, home loan benefits and other benefits because of this "too busy" delay.

The VA is an embarrassment and must he over hauled. I just learned this week, the VA has a lower percentage of veterans than the DOT. How does that make sense?

Sorry for he rant - I am sure you all have been or are going through the same thing.

When you receive your decison letter it will have instructions for amending your tax returns for the year(s) including in the decision. you will amend prior year returns.

StrikeZ,

Are you talking about retirement pay and/or VA Disability Payments? Are you retired military?

Papa

Papa,

I am retired military. I retired last summer. After attending to retirement brief by the VA, I did the BDD program. It seemed so simple and so promising, if I did everything 90 days prior to retiring, I would start receiving benefits within 60 days. What I found, even though I did everything I needed to 90 days in advance, the processing does not start till after my retirement date. When I look on EBenefits it claims they are gathering info? I call, they say they got everything. Now the year rolled over and I thought the tax benefit from disability has been lost. I was fortunate that I landed a public service job, but it would have been nice to be a 10 point vet vice 5 point.

The following suggestions can be done by almost anybody but they do require some knowledge of the tax system. Each suggestion is a general overview, and with the exception of #3, does not address all actions that must be taken.

You can do three things:

1. File your 2011 Federal and state tax returns when you have the information you need and receive any refund based on those amounts. Then, when you receive your VA disability determination later this year, you can file amended Federal and state returns and receive the additional refund based on the excluded amount. The attachment to this post is a little sumpin' I wrote a few years back that might be instructive. Notes: (a) your amended returns must be mailed in, and processing time is 8-12 weeks. (b) Paid preparers usually charge in the range of $150 for an amended return. (c ) If you do your own amended return,say with TurboTax, you'll need to go to the forms view and add the Form 1040-X. That's the only non-professional tax program with which I have any familiarity, but I presume that the Herbie program or TaxCut have something similar.

--or-

2. You can wait to file your 2011 tax returns until you receive your VA disability determination letter, however I suggest that you don't wait beyond April 17 (this year's filing date). If you go this route, you can adjust the taxable income with a Form 1040 Line 21 entry. Note: the 2011 Form 1099-R that you receive from the USCG will report the entire amount of your MilRetPay. The 2012 Form 1099-R should have the appropriate adjustments made.

-or-

3. Do nothing. Let it slide. It is an option.

Yet another negative impact on the servicemenber caused by the VA incompetence. So my retirement year (2011) I could best benefit from a tax break, but it will not happen. The year I will not need the tax reducuction, I will get it? This will cost me close to 2,000 in taxes

How does the tax situation work out when the of VA's average 200 day disablity review roll from one year to another. Do I have to refile or just claim the benefit in the year payment is received. I am already losing state and federal employment benefits, home loan benefits and other benefits because of this "too busy" delay.

The VA is an embarrassment and must he over hauled. I just learned this week, the VA has a lower percentage of veterans than the DOT. How does that make sense?

Sorry for he rant - I am sure you all have been or are going through the same thing.

Here is a something that might help.doc

Edited by jvretiredvet