VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% For Ptsd P&t But Employable

Rate this question

sfc ret

Question

At a recent visit to the VA I was told buy a employee that I should be unemployable because of the 100% rating for PTSD. He referred me to another office to ask about this and possibly get it corrected. I went there and was told according to my paperwork I'm considered employable. My paperwork says employability is a moot point.

So which is true?

I remember reading somewhere that if you are 100% for PTSD you are unemployable?

I dont work and have not worked since leaving the army over two years now. How does becoming unemployable benefit me?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Late to the case, but here's the answer you need to hear. If you are rated 100% PTSD, if you read the rating rules for that diagnosis, then you cannot hold a job. So if you were to go out and get one, that would render your 100% ruling untrue, and you would fall back to at least 70 if not 50%. Now with other 100% ratings you can still work, but not the case with PTSD, because the basis of that finding, is that you are unable to work, or function in society for the most part.

• HadIt.com Elder

I've been thinking this one over and we perpetuate the belief one can't work w/a 100% PTSD rating. Does anyone know, "for sure," of someone rated 100%, schedular, just for PTSD that has been reduced for working?? While part of the description for a 100% rating includes the inability to work, one does not need to meet all the criteria, for the 100% rating. And if unemployability is a moot issue, than why not??? Any thoughts??

pr

Phillip it might be challengable, but the DSM IV R has been based upon many findings. I would hate to think that I would be the person, that would challenge it and lose my benefits is all. I have a friend taht works at SS, and she told me that I could work for up to a year or so, and if it didn't work out, they would take that as further evidence that I couldn't work, but I don't know that the VA works under the same conditions.

I struggle with my PTSD IU weekly, but when I honestly assess it, I know that I can't be what I was before. It saddens me, but the prospect of me trying and failing again and again, just because of pride has to stop at some point. And when the guy from VA occupation therapy suggested that i work as a night clerk at a hotel, before I got my papers that week from my PTSD inpatient unit, I almost flipped on him.

Was one of the most stressful times of my life, other than combat, and I wondered, why do I want to do this to myself again. Yes I do, want to feel better, but if I sit back and listen to my doctors, I realize, that percentages say I will fail, (and I was very succesful in business before the PTSD grabbed me) so can I swallow my pride, or do I make the whole world around me suffer.

I have a 70% rating for PTSD. I took that, hoping i could go back to work, but even at that rating, i see it's not possible now. Someone at 100% should not be able to work. Unless just selling trinkets out of their home. Reason, you can't count on yourself to accomplish the tasks of the orders. Plain and simple. The VA doesn't want to give out the 100% for PTSD, so those that get it, unfortunately have to realize that they truly have the issue.

I got 70, and I believe most of that was based upon the fact that my wife has refused to leave me. She's pretty damn close now, and if that happens, I feel they would bump me up, but honestly. all I know is I am xxxxxx.

• HadIt.com Elder

PR

I knew a VSO who was 100% via PTSD who was a paid service officer. His Dad was a very high ranking National VSO who told me that 100% schedular could work and get paid safely if they were service officers.

The fact is why jeopardize a 100% rating that can be reviewed when at 100% it requires the Veteran to be unemployable. For many of us the 100% rating came after a nightmare of dealing with VA bureaucrats and took years to get. The security for me an my family is not worth taking that kind of chance.

I think that Veterans with 100% ratings still want to work its just that for me I know I could interview and maybe get a job but not a very productive job and that sooner or later I would crash. In the last20 plus years I have been able to do some amazing things with the help of drugs and family and friends and I have also been struck down and had some very bad adventures including trips in the ambulance, visits to ER and four hospitalizations I don't want to have again.

I am pretty sure that the VA has ogres who monitor social security income matched to Veterans and when they see earnings they also see a chance to cut.

The bottom line is I know that I might be able to get a job but I also know that I could not keep one.

Sorry I did not cite any regs cause technically I have never seen anything about 199% P&T that says you can't work but it does say it can be reviewed and mine says that the crux of my ratings is I can't work. I don't want no stinking review.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think a vet who is 100% schedular for PTSD probably can get away with working a low profile job as long as he does not tell the VA that he works. You get your P&T and just keep your mouth shut about working. For instance, if you had a lawn cutting job I think you could stay under the radar and it might even be good for you. That is not true for TDIU. If you have TDIU you can't work and if you do you are asking for it.